Doll Syndrome

Shinsou Wotan

Doll Syndrome

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the G.U. section or here, but since it was on the Online Jack page of the G.U. The World magazine, I chose here.

It seems that one of the topics Salvador Aihara will be reporting on is a condition known as "Doll Syndrome". Exactly what this syndrome entails is unclear at this point, but it seems to be some sort of medical condition which affects mostly students, some as young as elementary school. It is suspected that this condition is somehow related to online gaming.

What are the odds that this is the real-world effect of AIDA infection?
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

Could "Doll Syndrome" be another way of naming comatosed in the real world while your concious still playing the game?
Umbra
The Avaricious
The Avaricious

Post by Umbra »

When you say 'Doll Syndrome', I have an image of the players' actual bodies being controlled by some influence other than themselves.

I would have to agree with Shinsou, it does seem logical for this to be an outside effect of an AIDA infection.
Mia

Post by Mia »

What an odd name.

It does sound very similiar to the comatosed victims.Hope to see more about this.
SnowManZero
Evil Incarnate
Evil Incarnate
Location: New South Whales in Australia.i'm not the only one? that's so cool.*act's like sora*

Post by SnowManZero »

well, the word doll can imply two thing's

1the player is a doll, being controlled(played with, if you will) by someone else

2the person is a doll IRL, because there not movingI.E. there a doll on a shelf.

the first relate's to umbra's post and the second relate's to EoaS's post.

i reckon it would have to be both.the player is in a coma and not moving, but because they might be infected with an aida, they are still being played with.

(that's my take on it, so i don't care if someone rip's it to shed's)
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

It might have something to with young children to teens who have played The World enough to where it affects them mentally. Such as a young child plays The World but gets pked and it affects their outlook on things. Or it can be that the people who play it too much have their personality developed mostly for online play and when they are interacting with people IRL they act in an odd manner. Well I think that may be one of the possibilities to whatever this Doll Syndrome may be. Though I wish there was some more info on this since I don't like making wild theory based just on its name.
beginner

Post by beginner »

It's like a robot in a school. No emotion. No talking. Just walking and not caring what goes on around it.
ULFRIC

Post by ULFRIC »

i think its a side effect of an Aida-PC
since Aida-PC's are controlled in the world
maybe somehow
just as the World could put people in coma's
the users brainwaves are changed
causing and Aida-User
a person with no real control
who seems hazy eyed and stiff
but does have a goal
whatever the Aida needs done in the real world
the Aida-User will do
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

They could be like Asuka's mom after the Contact experiment with the Eva, thinking a bunch of dolls are the people they know XD Doll syndrome, replacing your loved ones with dolls and then hanging yourself.

...and yet I'm laughing at the parody.
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

TenshiNoYami wrote:i think its a side effect of an Aida-PC
since Aida-PC's are controlled in the world
maybe somehow
just as the World could put people in coma's
the users brainwaves are changed
causing and Aida-User
a person with no real control
who seems hazy eyed and stiff
but does have a goal
whatever the Aida needs done in the real world
the Aida-User will do
After I heard about the whole AIDA-PC development I had similar thoughts about the doll syndrome. Who knows how this AIDA-PC infect affects the person outside of The World. So it could very well be AIDA causes this doll syndrome.
Brian4120

Post by Brian4120 »

scary.... aida-people running around tokyo.
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

SnowManZero wrote:well, the word doll can imply two thing's

1the player is a doll, being controlled(played with, if you will) by someone else

I personally believe it's the first one. I remember someone here, lucky enough to have read .hack//ZERO (though will not be finished is still Canon) that Sora's game data was played around in by Skeith, as the strange Shadow Sora bit.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yes, but how would the public come to the first conclusion of the players being actually possessed? It's not like they'd be brain-eating zombies. I think the players go comatose (limp dolls) while their trapped minds are partially fused with the AIDA's.
ULFRIC

Post by ULFRIC »

well if that were the case
y wouldn't they just be called
comatose victims
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

The only thing I have to say about this is, perhaps, though their conciousness is stuck in the game (Tsukasa) Their actions are controlled by another. Let's take the example of Shadow Sora. From a reliable source (past topic somewhere on this site) the only difference with this is it was Skeith playing around in Sora's data. Though this implies Sora's mind is locked away in Skeith's Crucifix, and the only thing going on is Skeith's will is controlling Sora's Avatar. This all goes back to the vessel theory, if the mind is already twisted enough for something else to intrude there's no need to seal the original mind away.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I think it is pretty easy to somewhat connect the AIDA PC and then the Doll Syndrome as being an extension of each other. The AIDA PC takes over a PC with the lure of more power or "escape" as with Tsukasa and then uses that vessel to not only cause some chaos in the game but to also try to become more "human". It seems to me that Lycoris, the Butterfly boy (for A.I. BUSTER 2), Aura, and Zefie, were all AI that were trying to become more human inside the game...doesn't it make sense that some might become powerful enough and smart enough to try other ways like actually taking over a human body through its conciousness? This would be the ultimate way for one of those AIDAs' to achieve a "complete" existance, to actually be human and walk and talk and move in our world. Just an idea.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

I wouldn't be surprised if the three GU games have Aura escaping into the real world in order to stop the AIDA attacks or something.
Isaac GS

Post by Isaac GS »

it could be that the consciousness of the player and that of the AI are getting switched so that the AI is controlling the player's body and the player is controlling the avatar in game.

I don't even really think that but it's still possible XD
ULFRIC

Post by ULFRIC »

so yea
thats a good theory
but i lyk the other one
human conciousness gets trapped in the game
while the body is taken by a program/a.i./something else
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

If you notice in the newest ONline Jack shots, there ar random people in parks and such that are wearing "The World" Neuro Goggles, I findthat extremely odd. Perhaps, it is as someone had said before, the body is taken over by a program... This should prove to be interesting.