.hack//project 3D Q&A, Comments and Work In Progress

Post original art and .hack fanart here. Submit fanart to fanart@dothackers.net

Moderator: Moderators

///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317

.hack//project 3D Q&A, Comments and Work In Progress

Post by ///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317 »

Well, I was messing around in LightWave the other day, thinking of how much this site needs a new banner 8) . Anyway, in the quest to think of something new and interesting for me to do, i decided to try my hand at some of the objects out of .hack after succesfully completing the model of EVANESCENCE, the sword from the story (click on the link for the origional resolution image).

http://home.satx.rr.com/accelacyberia/moontest.jpg
Here is the first thing I did, which Tsukasa's Moonwand. However, you will notice that my skills are somewhat lacking in the texture department, and this is why I have posted. I need your help to decide how I need to edit these models. I plan to use them later on for a series of digital artwork that will include many famous .hack items, as well as the characters once I get around to it, as well as a possible game engine... possibly. I will post the new stuff as it becomes avalible, so please comment on anything you want, just make sure I know what you are talking about.

Aaaanyway, while I'm on the subject, here is EVANESCENCE for those of you who know what it is and actually want to see it. For those of you who don't know about the sword, this is the quality of work I am capable of, its just I am lacking time to re-do the moonwand right now. Anyway, on to the pics! I HIGHLY recomend you click on the larger versions in order to see the detail of them, there is a HUGE difference.

Here she is! EVANESCENCE in brilliant color in 3D! Enjoy.
http://69.14.137.34/img/models/evan/esoutprime2.jpg

Here is the same thing on a stand in its scabbard. The stand is my favorite part :roll: It is modeled after one of a famous samurai who's name just left my mind... ill remember it sometime.
http://69.14.137.34/img/models/evan/essrad.jpg

And here is the picture of EVANESCENCE and what was the start of Akujiki (same model thank God) however without the inscription. This one, however, shows the great textures used for the blades.
http://69.14.137.34/img/models/evan/swordsrevised.jpg

Ok, notice that I haven't marked my work in any way? So, we are working on the honors system here! If you like it, you can have it, just make sure you give credit where credit is due. I will admit that not everything on these models is 100% mine thanks to a sword tutorial that I used to help me build the tang and handguard which has been heavily modified, so there may still be bad stuffs there. So, use to your discression, just be careful with it.
Last edited by ///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317 on Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:52 pm, edited 53 times in total.
chrissii

Post by chrissii »

Those are really cool looking :shock:, great job!!! :D I've always wanted to try 3D graphics... is this LightWave store-bought, or shareware, or...?
///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317

My version is a store-bought verstion, and it comes with a VERY hefty price tag. I use LightWave 7.5, which uses two programs, LightWave Modeler and LightWave Layout, which are used to create the models. The actual models themselves are created in Modeler, as well as the different allocations of polygons to different catagories. The Layout mode is used for the actual colorization, texture, and visual effects and animation of the completed models. However, last time I checked, a copy of Lightwave 7.5 costs $1600, a price most but the best trained animators aren't willing to pay. Newtek is also at an Apple computer conference this week, and has requested major press coverage, which could be the release of LightWave 8.0, which costs somewhere about the same if not more. I, however, am able to buy an educational license, so I get it for much, much less (in the hundreds).

However, while I do not condone of promote it (heh heh heh), there are versions of this program floating around... :roll:

Anyway, within the past 30 minutes (I am currently in Electronic Media III) I have learned how to do spline patching, so I will be able to fix the staff within 10 minutes: down from the hour it took to make. EMIII is the class I am taking to learn the program. It is a high school course at a special design and technology magnet school. Mia should know of it: its DATA at Roosevelt HS.

OH MY GOD! I JUST REALIZED ONE OF THE SYMBOLS IS WRONG!
Crap....

::edit:: The staff has been updated (10pm 1/6/03) so make sure to check on the new version ::/edit::
Last edited by ///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317 on Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ardo

Post by Ardo »

I like all of them! I especially like EVANESCENCE a LOT!
Silvermane

Post by Silvermane »

*bows before your computer animation skills* Those pictures are excellent. I wish my comp had enough space for that program. :D
///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317

Oh, a quick note. I am currently working on Sora's Blades at Silvermane's request. If you guys have a request, and make a comment (hint) I will go ahead and do them in the order I recieve the requests. It normally takes me about 5 hours strung out across a week to complete each model to my liking, so be patient! EVANESCENCE takes alot of my time, and now that I am programming my computer by hand.... its beginning to get interesting.

Otherwise, drop me a PM and i'll do your request. I am not taking character model requests yet, but you will know when that happens (one will be posted 8) ).

BTW, thanks for the support! If you have anything to say AT ALL, post it. Its helpful to know what I need to change on these, so if you see something that doesnt quite look right, LET ME KNOW!
Last edited by ///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317 on Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Hey ///AKUJI-E1N54MK317,

I have several comments, most of which will make me look utterly stupid, I am sure.

1) Why does the Evanescence have a leather handle cover with blue diamonds over the traditional, which would have a blue handle with white strings wraped around it that formed the diamonds? Is this a preference choice?
2) I note that the sharpened blade ends of your swords are very straight, unlike traditional japanese swords. Is this also a preference choice?

I would also like to say that your CGI skills are very good and I enjoyed looking at your pictures. I am just being critical. I appologize for any anger points I might have racked up.
///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317

Ok, to answer your questions sword, Storm. I know what you mean about the hande of the sword; I was conserned with this while modeling it. That is one of the details I am ironing out in the later models. Yes, the white of the hilt is supposed to be over the blue tang, however I did not think that there would be an issue with shaddowing within the bands. Looking at the model, there are indeed two seperate white strips taht are used when I wrapped the handle. However, I did not extrude them and therefore they ended up looking flat, and undivided as if they were all one piece of leather. However, yes you are correct in your statement of the wrapping, and I am fixing this by cutting more polygons into the model, and then creating grooves to make their seperation larger. Given, this will add about 400 more polys, but that is no great number compared to its overall number (somewhere around 12,000 now).

The second answer is yes, I did purposly make the blades straight. It is based on the earlier, straight katanas that were before the more modern curved ones. I could give the history, but ill worry about that later. In any case, this blade is wrong in a few other ways as well. Its blade length is too short for its width, and its tang is too short (its normally a cubit plus a palmwidth, custom to the wielder). This is being revised in a version in which I am modeling after my own katana, seen at:

http://www.starfireswords.com/cgi-bin/starfire/KAT.html

This will make it more realistic, and I will make it to scale. Anyway, I hope that cleared things up. I was wondering about these, and I am working on them to fix them, and I thank you storm for bringing these to my attention. If you see any other errors, please let me know so that they may be corrected (same goes for the .hack stuff).
Last edited by ///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317 on Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrissii

Post by chrissii »

Another cool project I can think of that you might consider, would be to do one of Helba's wand. It's quite different from most of the other weapons seen in .hack, and I think it would make for an interesting/fun challenge for you, since you seem very into this :D
Balmung_Blade

Mimiru's blade

Post by Balmung_Blade »

:shock: GOOD IDEA CHRISSII

o and do ya think ya could do Mimirus HeavyBlade sword
8)
///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317

UPDATE! Sora's Blades

Ok, about 3:45pm I completed the Sora's Blades project. However, due to some massive CPU problems, PH03N1X's central processor had to be replaced, and is now not OCed (took 10 seconds longer...). Dispite the delay, she is back up and operational and I have completed the project. The final result was this:

http://69.14.137.34/img/models/sora/sorasblades.jpg

This was a rather difficult one to do, considering there are very few good pictures of the blades by themselves. So, as far as the retraction part for the blades, I guessed at just what they would look like, and decided to give it a raw aluminum finish to make it seem not-as-good or well-used in quality. The blades themselves were skinned with the steel textures that were created for EVANESCENCE, as I am sure you can see the resemblence. As far as the handle thing goes, it looks like Sora is hanging onto them with a flat bar, and I modeled it the best I could given my example. Anyway, something looks not quite right about them, so if you know what it is, I'll make sure that I fix it for the update.

And remember, my request list is short, and I rather take requests then debate on what I want to model, lol.
Last edited by ///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317 on Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
chrissii

Post by chrissii »

:o I think those came out excellent! I can't see anything wrong, but then again I'm not the hugest fan of Sora, and even if I were, it IS really difficult to get a good look at his blades... :? I think maybe the scene where he is battling with Krim after opening the Twilight Eye would have the best shots of them, but I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to find screen caps of that... gomen nasai :(
Silvermane

Post by Silvermane »

Those blades look sweet EIN, keep up the good work. :D
chrissii

Post by chrissii »

Just a reminder about Gardenia... since you asked and all. :wink:
Chibisuke

Post by Chibisuke »

do you think you could do Kite's Starting blades?? i forget what they call it in the game.. since i'mn nota at my ps2 atm...
///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317

Ah, when all else fails, use aluminum.
Ok, about 4:00 am 1/11/04, I completed the Helba's Wand project. Given, I will admit that this was not one of my better projects, and my "extruding the hell out of it" tactic didn't quite turn out. As OrangeSlice knows, I messed with the prongs on the bottom for over 6 hours, and still don't have them right. Anyway, here is the final product.

http://69.14.137.34/img/models/helb/helbaswand.jpg

So, once again, I used the aluminum texture, only this time heavily modified, to make the white outside. By eliminating the ruggedness of the metal, I was able to get a clean, smooth, simple texture while still keeping it "touchable." However, dispite some problems, I still could not get a good resource to double check the whole model against. However, I will go look tomorrow.

Questions? Comments? Changes? Let me know!
Next up, Mimiru's Sword.
Last edited by ///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317 on Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Balmung_Blade

Post by Balmung_Blade »

WOW helba's wand looks GREAT can wait to see mimirus sword
chrissii

Post by chrissii »

That came out awesome!!! :D

If you still want to check them with some images, I have some pretty good ones. But, they are on my other computer, so when I can access it I'll edit this post with the pics. ^_^b

EDIT: shoot, for some reason I could've sworn I'd had a really good pic of Helba where you could see her wand... :? I think I may have been thinking of the SIGN episode where Helba contacts Bear... They pan over her upwards from the ground, and I think you could see the staff pretty well... Unfortunately, I can't remember what episode name/number that was... :( Me sorry.
Last edited by chrissii on Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chibisuke

Post by Chibisuke »

i dont wanna sound greedy but also could you do the "Bracelet"?
///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317

Bah, multiple requests are great! That allows me to continue to make stuff when I don't know what to do.

Ok, here is our newest project, Mimiru's Sword
http://69.14.137.34/img/models/mimi/mimirusword.jpg
Ok, this will be my last model for awhile, being that I have been working on these for 36 hours straight, and that my craptacular FTP is completely out of space (if you have a webserver that you wouldn't mind giving me a chunk of, PLEASE let me know!) so I couldn't put them up even if I wanted to. Now, when accelacyberia.com comes back online, I will be able to have my huuuuuge storage space back. However, until then there will be a problem. Also, the resolution of the larger images has been reduced from 1920x1080 to 1600x900 to save space. I have 1293 bytes remaining... not much.

About the model its self. Once again, the aluminum texture has come in to save the day, as it was used to make the sword look much darker than it really is. The sword has been tipped up on end to get the reflection of the marble plain, which defines the lines of the points in the blade much, much better. There are still some issues with the shininess, but I can deal with that later.

Well, our next project will be Kite's Amature blades. If you have a request for a specific render, PM me or AIM me and I will set up the scene, and we can discuss terms. Other than that, please feel free to request more than one object (do it here), as I can construct them, just not post them yet.

::edit::Thanks to TheShadowedOne, I now have webspace again, and will be able to transfer the full resolution versions over to it so that they may be seen again. w00t to TheShadowedOne!::/edit::
Last edited by ///AKUJIKI-E1N54MK317 on Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.