What are your favorite memories of the franchise? [.hack 20th Anniversary Official Trailer]

Reminisce about the entire .hack franchise and maybe meet up w/ a few long lost dothackers from the early - mid 2000s!

Moderator: Moderators

d5t

What are your favorite memories of the franchise? [.hack 20th Anniversary Official Trailer]

Post by d5t »

Feels good to post something new in quite a while!

Please use this format, I thought it would be interesting:

Code: Select all

1. 1st .hack game/anime/etc you experienced
2. How old were you?
3. How old are you now?
4. You favorite memory:

My .hack//memories
1. 1st .hack game/anime/etc you experienced: .hack//SIGN (via Fansubs)
2. How old were you: 17
3. How old are you now: 36
4. You favorite memory: My favorite memories are pretty expansive, with creating dothackers.net being up there. But I do fondly remember one of my lifetime friends giving me a burned CD of .hack//SIGN's first 4 episodes from a fansub. The rest is history. To be able to keep this community running has always been in the back of my mind - so many great relics of .hack history on this message board.

I would happily bring everything back to 2020 standards if this franchise every gets reinvested by Bandai Namco.

Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Re: What are your favorite memories of the franchise? [.hack 20th Anniversary Official Trailer]

Post by Erroneous »

First watched .hack//SIGN on Cartoon Network's Toonami in North America in February 2003. Prior to that I read previews of Japanese .hack//Infection over on RPGFan.com sometime in 2002.

2. How old were you?
17 years young

3. How old are you now?
36 years old

4. You favorite memory:
The mashup and comedy of .hack//GIFT, hilarious!

Just love seeing Subaru give no f+trucks-tr about her nice person persona and goes straight up Kaochin on Ginkan.
Jikanet Amagi

Re: What are your favorite memories of the franchise? [.hack 20th Anniversary Official Trailer]

Post by Jikanet Amagi »

My first game is .hack//G.U. Vol.3 Redemption.

2. How old were you?
8-9 Years old that was since I first known about .hack through .hack//G.U.

3. How old are you now?
23 Years old this year

4. You favorite memory:
I suck at battling against bosses in .hack//G.U. I think that's my favorite memories as long as I can remember. Oh right! I also reached Level 99 for Tokio when I played .hack//Link on PSP, and Doing Link play for several time using Kite as my Unison PCs. That's another one. My secret favorite memory making fanfic for Tokio x Saika when I was a little, but I can't go explain it little further (laugh).

But still, if anyone has more art or pictures that were deleted from Pixiv, .hack//Link doujinshi or anything else about Saika Amagi, just call me. I'll be there to see her. (No Joke)
vansliger

Post by vansliger »

I watched a friend play .hack//Infection at a friend's house. I remember being spooked of the tone of the game. I specifically remember watching Blackrose meeting Balmung in Delta Hidden, Forbidden, Holy Ground

2. How old were you?
I was 12 years old.

3. How old are you now?
I am currently 31 years old.

4. You favorite memory:
My favorite was probably defeating Skeith the first time in .hack//Infection. My younger brother and I had made a map with arrows charting out the best way to move through the dungeons of Theta Chosen, Hopeless, Nothingness. We were new to RPGs so we tried time and again to defeat the terror of death. In the end we finally did and by that time I was fully invested. I remember even at the time trying to find all the fragments of the epitaph online.
hobobandit

Post by hobobandit »

.hack//infection

2. How old were you?
About 15 not sure

3. How old are you now?

4. You favorite memory: When G.U. was announced I was pumped watching every trailer and reading every bit of news. At the time I had a bombshell smoking hot gf who was very needy and didn't like me playing video games. Which I was okay with cause she wad so hot. Then one day we went to the mall and I Saw. G.U..vol 1 on the shelf and it's like something took over my body and soul and I pulled out $50 and handed it to the clerk and said give me that. She broke up with me a few weeks later.
Haseo{Terror of Death}
Protagonist
Location: "...in the rift between consciousness and unconsciousness of all souls..."

Post by Haseo{Terror of Death} »

Saw SIGN on Toonami/Adult Swim, but I really got into it when Rebirth came out.
2. How old were you?
12 was the youngest I remember being into it.
3. How old are you now?
4. You favorite memory:
Being hyped for Trilogy when it was announced, and then when it has ties to LINK, as well as meta wise, just being excited for LINK and then the translation of LINK. Also loved Bullet.
Shelburz

Post by Shelburz »

1st .hack game/anime/etc you experienced: .hack//GU vol 1
2. How old were you: 16
3. How old are you now: 30
4. You favorite memory: I was lucky enough to be able to share my experience with this game with my best friend in the entire world. He also fell in love, and we played through all of the games multiple times together. He fell in love with Endrance, to a point of obsession. He found Endrance's English voice actor and watched every anime that he was involved in. He started to make all of his friends and family call him Enn, and was trying to legally change his name to Enn. He named his pet Mia. Unfortunately, a couple of years ago, he lost his life to addiction/suicide. I cherish .Hack for being one of my favorite memories with him, and for bringing us so close and for being such an important part of his life. I wish he would have gotten to play Last Recode. RIP Enn, and long live .Hack
WulfOrc

Post by WulfOrc »

SIGN, caught it on Toonami when I was up late for some reason, saw the opening and I was ready to sign up for whatever this show was.

2. How old were you?
12 years old

3. How old are you now?
30 years

4. You favorite memory:
Playing through IMOQ for the first time, specifically infection, the presentation, format, and everything else for me solidified my love for the series, and I would honestly love to be able to experience discovering that game for the first time again.
supertails15

Post by supertails15 »

: SELECT ALL

.hack//sign on toonami

2. How old were you?
3. How old are you now?
4. You favorite memory:
Logging on to .hack//Kyatt, thinking I was kite, Hidden forbiden holyground, and Learning about the waves and how they relate to the seven sins.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Hello, long time no see! It's been... 11 years since my last post? Oh dear.

Anyway, ahem.
So many memories! How do I even count them all?

Well for starters...
1. First .hack experience was seeing an episode of SIGN on TV one afternoon, and also the commercials for Infection on G4TV. So looking back on the dates those aired, that must have been in early-ish 2003. I wouldn't actually get lost in the .hack sauce until a few years later but the series stayed in the back of my head as something I wanted to get into more.

2. In 2003 I would have been 13 or 14.

3. Now I'm 33. : D (The passage of time is cruel and inevitable.)

4. Favorite memory, hoo boy! There are, so many.
I remember playing .hack//Link on PSP when I was in college, just waiting in my mom's office after classes were over haha. I could make out most?? of the plot since my Japanese back then was decent.
There were also all the moments I shared with friends. I remember the Altimit website that launched with the release of the G.U. games. Even after the official site closed down, a group of us made an "Altimit After" or some such forum so we could goof around and stay in touch. Some of the people I met then I'm still in contact with to this day.
I started a .hack fan blog on Tumblr and still run it even now, haha.

Playing .hack//IMOQ and seeing the SIGN characters appear in it, finally seeing Shino again at the end of G.U., Hermit's whole existence; there are a lot of precious memories and experiences for me thanks to the .hack series. And after all these years, I'm sure it'll always be special to me. <3
Last edited by iuliathe3rd on Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Hot damn! It's been a while since I've been here!

Funny question, I first learned about the series when I was in the 6th grade starting middle school. My friend (who actually was a member here for a while) introduced me to the series by letting me borrow his copy of .Hack//Infection. At first, I sucked at the game. Like badly, I kept dying to the first Data Bug. I couldn't grasp the concept of leveling up in an jRPG, the importance of items and weapons, statuses, etc. I was bad

It wasn't until I decided to get the game again for Xmas along with the strategy guide when I was starting to understand how to play the game the correct way. And things progressed from there. I eventually got all 4 strategy guides as well as all four games and enjoyed every bit of it.

2. How old were you?
I was 11 when I started

3. How old are you now?

4. Your favorite memory:
Beating Corbenik in the middle of the summer and finally getting //G.U. Vol 1 Rebirth after what felt like years of waiting.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Keyaki wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:10 pm I eventually got all 4 strategy guides as well as all four games and enjoyed every bit of it.
Oooh, the strategy guides too? Those go for a pretty penny these days! I've thought about trying to collect them myself but that price tag for the Quarantine guide is just too rich for me right now. :') ($115 to $160? No thank you.)
Spider-Kev

Post by Spider-Kev »

- .hack/Sign and .hack/Infection
2. How old were you?
- in 2002/2003 I was 21/21/23
3. How old are you now?
- April 19, 2023 i am currently 42
4. You favorite memory:
- Being one of the founing member of the TokyoPop website forum, making some really cool friends online, then when the forum was going away, I made my own forum. Delta Server over on proboards.
- My username on the old TokyoPop website was Tsukasa
Furie

Post by Furie »

ALL

.hack//SIGN

2. How old were you?

3. How old are you now?

4. You favorite memory:
Meeting Mia and all scenes with her.
Mikiwi

Post by Mikiwi »

1. 1st .hack game/anime/etc you experienced:

- Was actually the first game, I think the volume 1 is the only with the spanish translation? I remember playing as a kid and even complete it. I was obsessed with Blackrose and I liked Elk too.

2. How old were you?:

- Between 10-12 years old I think.

3. How old are you now?:

- 24! And it keeps getting higher (help)

4. You favorite memory:

-Walking and talking to the NPC thinking that ''what if they are really real people and this is truly an online game?'' I was a pretty stupid kid LOL

Now I'm meeting the series again with the remaster of .hack Gu Last resort (never played them) I'm so happy that there's still people enjoying this saga.