New World (N.U.) to continue?

Lindz

New World (N.U.) to continue?

Post by Lindz »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/daily-br ... es/.123119

Trademark filed (or renewed?) for the New World brand. Not much ta go on with this news byte but when has that ever stopped .hack speculation?

edit: uggghhh. "signs of life/activity?" woulda been a better thread title. wasn't in any way trying to make this come across as some big/sure thing!
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: New World (N.U.) to continue?

Post by Kuukai »

"Project N.U." was supposed to be a new generation, not just one social game, so it's possible we'll see more of this universe once Last Recode comes out.
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

Project N.U. originally called their first game ".hack//NewWorld Volume 1 Maiden of Silver Tears", leading to believe the NewWorld mobile game was the first of many volumes.

Though half way through it's online availability, it got re-branded dropping Volume 1 from the title which may suggest the end of that series, and later we found out the online server that the game connected to. Afterwhich, nobody expected GU:LR would be around the corner.

Leads me to believe that if CyberConnect2 was not dropped from the Final Fantasy 7 remake, would there be a GU:LR? I think SquareEnix going to in-house on FF7 led CC2 to focus on whatever they wanted and picked up GU and now perhaps Project NU again.

In any event, I won't get excited until I see a US or EU trademark for the series, much like how we saw GU show theirs > https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/get-detail? ... 0087489510
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

I think just like how the first generation was knows as "Project .hack" and the second generation was ".hack Conglomerate" - the third or next phase for the series is "Project N.U."

With CC2 officially done making Naruto games, I suspect they've reexamined their roots and are considering where to take .hack now. They've been open that GU:LR is meant to bring back old fans and act as a bridge to new fans. It's their most accessible and (in my opinion best) entry in the .hack universe. The next game or media within .hack is very likely to have nothing to do with the //NewWord mobile game, but still might be under the "Project N.U." umbrella.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

"Project G.U." and ".hack//G.U." were also used contemporaneously to refer to the second generation. "Project .hack" and ".hack conglomerate" refer to the two incarnations of the production committee (Kadokawa & Bandai->BandaiNamco & others), it's a legal entity hence the "conglomerate." It also ends up on some later works that take place in the first generation. By Link the different generations were rebranded as "seasons," and so presumably N.U. would be the fourth. When "N.U." was first announced, NewWorld was implied to have multiple volumes, but also NewWorld was said to be the first revealed product in the new "N.U." project. N.U. hasn't been defined yet as far as I know. But when it comes down to it, NewWorld might be an introductory story in the manner of the beginning of the LotTB manga (the first .hack media that was released) or SIGN, giving a taste but not being the main story.

CC2 always has about 7 games in the pipeline, with more in the planning phase. Some of them are driven by outside business concerns (i.e. social games), some are on the backburner for eons (Strelka Stories?) while even the ones we see take a long time to mature. G.U. was in progress during Quarantine, Trilogy during G.U., Link during Trilogy, and the movie during Link, even though all these installments were separated by several years. The "Ovan is missing" plot hook essential to LR was introduced out of nowhere in Quantum more than 6 years ago. So it's likely they're working on tons of stuff we won't see for at least six years. Luckily the demand for social games has died down (at one point they comprised exactly half of their projects), but they've never had their bandwidth taking up by only one thing - they're just really slowly multitasking.
Falions

Post by Falions »

Kuukai wrote:But when it comes down to it, NewWorld might be an introductory story in the manner of the beginning of the LotTB manga (the first .hack media that was released) or SIGN, giving a taste but not being the main story.
LotTB was the first .hack media? What? I thought it was AI Buster 1 just a few months before SIGN, but I could be wrong about that.
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

Vallen wrote:With CC2 officially done making Naruto games, I suspect they've reexamined their roots and are considering where to take .hack now.
Boruto?
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Erroneous wrote:Boruto?
They stated that they're not too keen on it. This was shortly after Storm 4 launched.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

The first chapter of LotTB was serialized at the beginning of 2002. I think AI buster was as well, but it was later.