YouTube/Google's new Copyright System

Discuss anything here

Moderator: Moderators

zaseo

YouTube/Google's new Copyright System

Post by zaseo »

YouTube is using a new copyright system. Right now many medium/big YouTubers are getting a load of copyright claims. Fair use is more or less ignored. From what I understand around the middle of January any new videos shall not be uploaded until after they have been reviewed for 2 hours to 2 days later. I think this also applies to people who do not choose to make money off their videos.

With the way the content id system is working pretty much anything can be claimed to be owned by a company/someone. I really see this affecting the video game community the most. If anyone is talking/using something like a videogame, music, or any product on YouTube then its basically free advertising. As for the music industry I do not know what to say. When someone or the artist uploads the music video to YouTube anyone could just download the mp3 file with programs or just use certain websites. Who buys CDs anymore?
BrinODea

Re: YouTube/Google's new Copyright System

Post by BrinODea »

Doubt it will pass, at least not as is. They've tried this before. While yes if you sing someone else song, its technically their work, but no you didn't steal it as long as you give credit. Other issues I've heard is that even "original" work can be considered "Copyright infringement" ie, if a band releases a song via cd or some other medium than youtube, then personally releases it on youtube, they can still get in trouble.

And I still buy CDs! I prefer a physical copy, as according to copyright laws, I can make unlimited digital copies with physical copies, but can not legally do the same with a digital copy. Gotta love how many copyright laws are hidden in copyright laws...
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Seems the new rules start now for YouTube's new copyright system.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

I'm not an uploader, and I get the majority of my stuff through torrents. It'll be a shame to see a lot of good fan-made content go though.
zerokoolpsx

Post by zerokoolpsx »

It's affecting a lot of people who do Let's Play videos even with commentary. They are hit with copyright infringement. Its affecting game reviews too which are allowed to use a sample of the game and music to review. Its taking videos with a lot of views and they're blocked from view in other countries. I feel sorry for all the Let's Players on Youtube. Its affecting all affiliate channels, but not managed channels.
BrinODea

Post by BrinODea »

Give it time. Youtube will more than likely start to lose a lot of funding as it those videos that actually bring a decent revenue, plus less people will actually use the site, which also a major source of revenue. While Google may not flinch at the drop, the drop in "face" will be something for them to think twice about.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Its getting out of hand. Unless you happen to be very big you're getting screwed on YouTube.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

I think the problem gets bigger and more annoying each time. It's the problem of using a bot to do this sort of thing, because you can get a video saved... Just to get a warning again.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »