Hermit's class

Haseo_Dude

Hermit's class

Post by Haseo_Dude »

What was Hermit the Mia look-a-like character's class? Was he a Wavemaster? I mean it was like after G.U. R:2, now its R:X.

Plus, the main characters were Kite, Bulmug, and Blackrose-look-a-likes. can someone help me?
shikiaki

Re: Hermit's class

Post by shikiaki »

Hey... I never thought about that... I think you are probably right...

Hermit was a cat persona..
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

From the art and the one scene he uses his weapon he is a blademaster or a heavyblade (or their RX equivalent) makes sense since Mia was a blademaster, every character in Quantum also uses the same equipment that the previous characters in the series used. He has a sword that looks like kind of like a fish skeleton. The stick is a cheat so it isn't really a part of his class.

I think CC2 made hermit to link Mia to the later parts of the series, it easily could have been a completely different character design. But not only does his character look similar to Mia he actually might be using Mia's character data, which was discarded when CC corp acquired Macha for project G.U. The dates match up so to speak. Quantum takes place in 2022 and they state that hermit had been stuck in the game for 7 years which would put his creation around 2015. The series cannon puts Mia's death in 2015 which is the same year. The idea that Hermit could be using Mia' character isn't explored, so you should take this with a grain of salt.

Here is a little fun fact as well. The original idea for .hack was similar to Alice and Wonderland and Mia/Macha is essentially the Cheshire cat of the original series. Hermit seems to play a similar role in Quantum.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Hermit is an R:X Blade Brandier. Just like how Sakuya isn't using Kite' PC data, Hermit has nothing to do with Macha.
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

Kuukai wrote:Hermit is an R:X Blade Brandier. Just like how Sakuya isn't using Kite' PC data, Hermit has nothing to do with Macha.
I know they aren't the same character, but I think CC2 was throwing some fans of the series a bone when they gave Hermit an origin date that corresponded with Mia's death. If anything it's interesting how many nods Hermit's character has towards Mia aside from the fact that he looks like her, there are also a lot of nods to Tsukasa as well. I honestly think it is a better way of reintroducing a character design than most of the Kite Clones the series has had so far, 4 and counting.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

There weren't digital prisons or Sophia when Hermit's player "died", I think Hermit the PC's origin was much later. The connection is about as much as Mary and Blackrose.
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

Kuukai wrote:There weren't digital prisons or Sophia when Hermit's player "died", I think Hermit the PC's origin was much later. The connection is about as much as Mary and Blackrose.
I agree with you about their not being a cannon connection between hermit and Mia. The only thing that I guess were not agreeing on is the date of Hermit's origin. Shamrock states that hermits player "died" 7 years before Quantum and Hermit himself states that he had been searching for a donor for 7 years, while destroying his typewriter computer thing in the second episode. This makes his origin 7 years before Quantum which coincidentally puts his appearance in the same year as Mia's death in Chup Chop Case. This association is most likely a nod to Mia like hermits looking like a chibi version of her is as well.

Using my ability to blow things out of proportion, I'm an artist it's what I do, I could easily make other associations like Hermit stating that he just appeared and had the stick in his hand when he appeared, near the end of the third episode. This makes me think that something chose his character and gave him his stick. This brings up a lot of questions as to why he looks like Mia, of which my earlier statement that Hermit could be using a modified version of Mia's character data or a character based off her design could be one of many plausible explanations, it's a plot hole so who really cares if I'm right or not. But the most obvious explanation is that the designers for the show wanted to bring Mia's character design back, like they did with many other character designs for this show.
Bullet Biter

Post by Bullet Biter »

Sadivinedevil wrote:
Kuukai wrote:There weren't digital prisons or Sophia when Hermit's player "died", I think Hermit the PC's origin was much later. The connection is about as much as Mary and Blackrose.
I agree with you about their not being a cannon connection between hermit and Mia. The only thing that I guess were not agreeing on is the date of Hermit's origin. Shamrock states that hermits player "died" 7 years before Quantum and Hermit himself states that he had been searching for a donor for 7 years, while destroying his typewriter computer thing in the second episode. This makes his origin 7 years before Quantum which coincidentally puts his appearance in the same year as Mia's death in Chup Chop Case. This association is most likely a nod to Mia like hermits looking like a chibi version of her is as well.

Using my ability to blow things out of proportion, I'm an artist it's what I do, I could easily make other associations like Hermit stating that he just appeared and had the stick in his hand when he appeared, near the end of the third episode. This makes me think that something chose his character and gave him his stick. This brings up a lot of questions as to why he looks like Mia, of which my earlier statement that Hermit could be using a modified version of Mia's character data or a character based off her design could be one of many plausible explanations, it's a plot hole so who really cares if I'm right or not. But the most obvious explanation is that the designers for the show wanted to bring Mia's character design back, like they did with many other character designs for this show.
The black stick was created by a research facility tied to CC Corp though, wasn't it? So it was probably Mama who had a hand in him obtaining it.
Also I don't think he was saying he was searching for 7 years, I think he was saying "seven years" referring to how many years it had been since his death...

Plus in 2015, Endrance also created his character so he's the one who won the "Mia Lottery" thanks to having Avatar Macha attached to his PC. (Also wouldn't any leftover Mia data have been wiped after the fire in 2015?)
It's a cool theory and it could very well be a nod to the year of Mia's death and a little shout out to fans of her from the IMOQ era, but I think that's as deep as it goes.
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

Bullet Biter wrote:The black stick was created by a research facility tied to CC Corp though, wasn't it? So it was probably Mama who had a hand in him obtaining it.
Also I don't think he was saying he was searching for 7 years, I think he was saying "seven years" referring to how many years it had been since his death...

Plus in 2015, Endrance also created his character so he's the one who won the "Mia Lottery" thanks to having Avatar Macha attached to his PC. (Also wouldn't any leftover Mia data have been wiped after the fire in 2015?)
It's a cool theory and it could very well be a nod to the year of Mia's death and a little shout out to fans of her from the IMOQ era, but I think that's as deep as it goes.
This is actually what I was more or less going at. Mia's character was destroyed in the process of removing Macha from her. The only thing that supports my idea is the non cannon G.U. Novels which refers to her body as roadkill after the incident which suggests that her body was left behind in the process. I don't know about the fire deleting things related to Morganna since they would also be integrated into the internet as well as the game.

Taking out the logic that the designers of the show just wanted to bring the character design back, the fact that he looks like her implies more of a connection between the two of them (vs Sakuya and Kite or Mary and Blackrose) Since the game wouldn't have her character design as a preset for character creation.

Hermit specifically says "7 years wasted" suggesting that he had been looking for 7 years for a donor. Whether or not that means he had been looking for that long is questionable since it isn't explored much. Quantum really should have been longer.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I just rewatched the scene where Hermit destroys the bar. Not seeing "7 years" anywhere... Are you watching the dub or a fansub or something? He just says 「とっくに死んでいたなんて!」 which the official subs correctly give as "Long dead! I can't believe it!"

As Bullet Biter mentioned, the stick was created by Fluegel's organization. The timing just doesn't match up.
Sadivinedevil wrote:Taking out the logic that the designers of the show just wanted to bring the character design back, the fact that he looks like her implies more of a connection between the two of them (vs Sakuya and Kite or Mary and Blackrose)
But you can't take it out arbitrarily like that, Sakuya's was a previously-impossible character type too.

Certainly, like Sakuya looking like Kite, Hermit looks like Mia because he's the "mysterious" character, but I don't think it goes any deeper than that. It's just an out-of-universe thing. Like members of Icolo happening to pick the names of stars before they even joined (and certain members of Moon Tree doing the same). There's no story explanation, and a story explanation is impossible. It's just the way they wrote it, and only makes sense outside of the universe.
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

Kuukai wrote:I just rewatched the scene where Hermit destroys the bar. Not seeing "7 years" anywhere... Are you watching the dub or a fansub or something? He just says 「とっくに死んでいたなんて!」 which the official subs correctly give as "Long dead! I can't believe it!"

As Bullet Biter mentioned, the stick was created by Fluegel's organization. The timing just doesn't match up.
Sadivinedevil wrote:Taking out the logic that the designers of the show just wanted to bring the character design back, the fact that he looks like her implies more of a connection between the two of them (vs Sakuya and Kite or Mary and Blackrose)
But you can't take it out arbitrarily like that, Sakuya's was a previously-impossible character type too.

Certainly, like Sakuya looking like Kite, Hermit looks like Mia because he's the "mysterious" character, but I don't think it goes any deeper than that. It's just an out-of-universe thing. Like members of Icolo happening to pick the names of stars before they even joined (and certain members of Moon Tree doing the same). There's no story explanation, and a story explanation is impossible. It's just the way they wrote it, and only makes sense outside of the universe.
I'm still not all the way through Bullet yet so I believe you about the stick.

But The English dub, by Funimation, has him saying "7 Years Wasted" when he destroys the bar, I am watching it right now and that is what he clearly says. If it is completely different in Japanese then fine it is a clerical error in translating.

As for the character design. There have been many Kite characters, and Sakuya states that she chose a Kite model through the character select just like Mary chose the Blackrose model. It is actually established that these characters are presets in R:X.

Hermit says he just appeared as this character and obviously did not chose his character model, someone or something else chose it for him. Like I said not taking into account that the show clearly references a lot of characters from the series it seems that Hermit is more unique than all of these other characters, aside from his back story, because he specifically looks like Mia.

I like my idea that his character may be connected to Mia, and you don't so lets just leave it at that. You don't need to argue with me about how this is impossible or doesn't match up with your absolute knowledge of the series since I'm set in my thinking. We aren't going to agree, like we haven't agreed many times before, so lets just drop this whole thing and consider your view the truth since this is your forums.

Bye.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

You seem really upset about this, so I apologize. I didn't realize you took your theory so personally, because generally I don't. To me, debating is about hammering out the details of the .hack universe. Whether I'm wrong or right, debating it is how I learn about .hack, and how I've always learned about .hack. We're probably the only fans in the world who know the dub made this mistake now, that's an accomplishment. Something tangible came out of this. It's a powerful tool. But if it's important to you that I drop it I'll drop it. I guess it could certainly be true in the dub continuity.

Just to clarify for the sake of the thread: the information about the stick comes from .hack//T.E.
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

It's fiction so it is open to many interpretations. I tend to like to think outside the box, I'm an artist so it comes with the territory, and debates like these can be fun and enlightening. I might be dead wrong, but I'm sure you've heard a lot of people get things wrong on these forums. Just mark me down as a fan who you might get into an argument with. I've seen, played, and read almost everything in the series so I will not hold back when I am questioned. If we learn anything then great, if we don't then it was fun debating with you (Sorry if I seem rather angry at times).

By the way is there a translation of .hack//T.E.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I don't think a recording exists. I've translated most of the available material via the news and forums.
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

That sucks. Oh well.