Vocaloids

Discuss anything here

Moderator: Moderators

Furie

Vocaloids

Post by Furie »

Kind of a strange topic, I know. Forgive me, but I may rant a bit here.

First of all, for those who don't know, a vocaloid is a singing synthesizer developed by Yamaha. They are sold as "singers in a box" to replace actual singers. They're quite popular, and some of the songs made with them are, in my opinion, some of the best songs I've heard. Obviously, the quality of the song depends on the person's (or persons') ability to mix lyrics and melody. And, although I'm not sure whether its official, each vocaloid (there are a couple dozen with different sounds) has a unique character behind the voice (an avatar of sorts, and a personality).

Now, I would like to get peoples opinions on them. Are they, or are the bands that use them, really "musicians"? Based on a video I've seen, the reactions of my sister and the cousins I've shown them to, vocaloid music "isn't real music". None of the mentioned parties would consider buying a CD for one, much less buying the program to create the music with.

I think that their music is just as worthy of being called music as any other artist. The program takes talent and practice to use and create music on, and, even if the singer themselves aren't real, the person using them is. And, how can a completely synthesized voice be looked down upon in this day and age when "real musicians" use technology to change their voices all the time anyway? If anything, I think the vocaloid is superior to those such as Kesha and [insert name of really any popular and new singer], as the vocaloid songs are, in my opinion, actually creative.

VirusCoreS

Re: Vocaloids

Post by VirusCoreS »

Ah Just Be Friends... that brings back lots of bittersweet memories (mostly bitter thought) :D

I like most VanaN'Ice's songs, aside from its mostly recurring love story about Kaito and Gakupo fighting over crossdressing Len, the songs are actually good :3

But I don't really familiar with newer generations of Vocaloid. So far I only know Miku, Kagamines, Luka, KAITO, MEIKO, Gakupo, Gumi and some UTAUs (Teto)
Furie

Post by Furie »

@VirusCoreS you haven't? My absolute favorite (aside from Luka) is IA, one of the newest.

Her song "Imposter Advisory" and "Headphone Actor" are also really good.

Most of my friends in real life really like Gumi:

Unfortunately, I don't know too many of her songs. This and "Ten-Faced" are the only two of hers that I've listened to.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

I cannot say much as i haven't listened too much at them, but i REALLY like most of all Len, and more specific: Spice(SUPAISU), i also heard a parody and i like both the song and parody. Although Miku i must admit is so rape-able and has good songs... I prefer Luka.... Miku has literally f*cked(excuse the word) everyone, INCLUDING LUKA! D;
shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Post by shugo_lover »

I think it's real music. However, I wouldn't call them a real band since it's just a program.

VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

those looks wicked! I will watch them all later :3
thank you for the reference :3

Well, I'll put my favorites too, and mostly, the old ones :3

and, does anyone ever heard of Len/Rin's Synchronicity Series? I wonder when does the third episode released...