Reading Recommendations

Discuss anything here

Moderator: Moderators

shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Reading Recommendations

Post by shugo_lover »

I love to read and I'm constantly looking for new books to read. So, what are some of you're favorite series, books, or ones that you've really enjoyed and would recommend others to read?
VirusCoreS

Re: Reading Recommendations

Post by VirusCoreS »

Every time someone asked what good book to read, I immediately offer this book: 'Sang Penagih' (The COllector) but as you can see, it's in Indonesian.

Have you read Skullduggery Pleasant? I love this series and currently it's still book three in my country (I heard it's already book 6)... maybe the setting is like what you see in fantasy novel, but the wit-banter in this book is my favorite.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

Divine Comedy(By Dante Alighieri)
Tom Sawyer's Adventures(Mark Twain)
i can't remember more right now :( Maybe trip to the center of the earth, Madame Bovari, Gulliver's trips, And some more.

Will update later when i remember others...

EDIT: I don't know how you spell it in English but.... In Spanish is "Don Quijote de la Mancha".... Was it Don Quixote?
KiteXX
Guardian of the Heart
Guardian of the Heart

Post by KiteXX »

Ender's Game- Orson Scott Card
City of Bones- Cassandra Clare
Pathfinder- Orson Scott Card
The Eye of the World- Robert Jordan
John Dies at the End- David Wong
The Princess Bride- S. Morgenstern
The Thief Lord- Cornelia Funke
Inheritance- Christopher Paolini
The Black Prism(Lightbringer Series #1)- Brent Weeks
Infinity- Sherrilyn Kenyon
The Way of the Shadows- Brent Weeks
Gulliver's Travels- Jonathan Swift
The Fellowship of the Ring- J. R. R. Tolkein
The Demon King- Chima
and that is my Five Star list haha, enjoy
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Have you read Kino's Journey?
Furie

Post by Furie »

Immajica, Weaveworld, and Abarat - Clive Barker. If you like extraordinary and at times terrifying lands and experiences beyond your imagination. Immajica follows the artist Gentle through the five dominions, each getting smaller, stranger, and more deadly, while he learns about his true purpose. Weaveworld is about an ordinary young man who happens to find wonderland woven into a carpet, and must protect it from those who wish to destroy it. Abarat is about a young girl from the mundane land of Minnesota, who is whisked into the land of Abarat; a land of 25 islands each representing one of the 24 hours. However, it seems her going there isn't exactly... welcome.

The Drizzt Series - R.A. Salvatore. If you're a fan of Dungeons and Dragons, or fantasy in general. Follows the dark elf Drizzt Do'Urden, who begins his life in the cruel world of the Underdark. He is not like the others, and strives to be free of the place, facing many trials along the way.

The Uglies Series - Scott Westerfield. In the future, every child grows up yearning for their 16th birthday- the day they get their surgery to become permanently pretty. This is the same dream for Tally and her friend Shay... until Shay decides to run away to the Smoke, where people stay ugly forever. Now, it's up to Tally to find and bring Shay back... but will she want to?

If you like these books, I also suggest you check out "The Thief of Always" by Clive Barker, any book from the Forgotten Realms universe (I do have some suggestions based on what sort of story and characters you like - there are a lot of these) and Peeps by Scott Westerfield (I also have some other young adult books you might like if you like these as well)

Also, give the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson a try, along with the similar yet unrelated books "When the Wind Blows" and "The Lake House" by the same man. Maximum Ride is more adventurous and geared toward the young adult audience, while the other two deal with issues of human and animal hybrids.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Sidney Sheldon Books are good for character development and the writing. However, he's for apparently middle aged housewives. I recommend all of his books, just be careful of the Doomsday Conspiracy. I'm not sure on how the ones being released that were... well either spiritual successors or actual manuscripts being released are like.

The other author I'd really recommend is Jasper Fforde. Right now I'm on the second book of one of the Thursday Next spin offs.
GamerKale

Post by GamerKale »

Urban Fantasy
Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire and her other October Daye novels. Fairy's plus murder, fun times.
Storm Front by Jim Butcher and his other Dresden Files novels. He's a P.I. and a Wizard what more could you ask for?
Fantasy
The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks and the rest of his Night Angel Trilogy. Plus his Lightbringer series has an interesting magic system.
Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick. It's quite low fantasy.
Weiss &Hickman's original Dragonlance Trilogy as well as the War of the Twins Trilogy.
Sci-fi
Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. Thank you Mooki for bringing it up in your Unique Heroes and Memorable Villains seminar.
The Halo novels. I really like that universe.
Green Lantern comics. To be fair Green Lantern is my favorite superhero.
The Wheel of Time series has been recommended to me, though I have yet to delve into them.
And I hear wonderful things about George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series, it just jumps characters too much for me.
And I just started The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas.
SCP-173

Post by SCP-173 »

Can anyone find a link to get the mobile version of clive barker's jericho?
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

SCP-173 wrote:Can anyone find a link to get the mobile version of clive barker's jericho?
If it's a book, you can always check amazon. If it's a video game or a show, then I'm afraid that'd be off topic.
SCP-173

Post by SCP-173 »

Helbaworshipper wrote:
SCP-173 wrote:Can anyone find a link to get the mobile version of clive barker's jericho?
If it's a book, you can always check amazon. If it's a video game or a show, then I'm afraid that'd be off topic.
Its a book and thank you ill check amazon
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Kino's Journey.
Kite

Post by Kite »

life of pie, catcher in the rye, unwind, lord of the rings, art of war, uhhhh.
book of the dead