Darker than black

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Darker than black

Post by shugo_lover »

I'm not sure if there is a discussion for this or not already. I looked on this first page and there wasn't so...
Anyway I haven't seen Darker than Black yet. I really want to see it though. Is it good? Is it worth watching? Also, what is it mainly about?
TheEnigma
The Beholder of Chaos
The Beholder of Chaos

Re: Darker than black

Post by TheEnigma »

Yeah the topic i made was the most recent but it hasnt been active for some time now so its cool.

But anyways i love DtB. To me it was and still is one of my favprite new anime that came out in recent years. Definitely give it a shot.
zerokoolpsx

Post by zerokoolpsx »

First season is good. One of the best and I highly recommend it. I just recently watched it again on Netflix to refresh my memory. Season 2 is kinda like Haruhi season's 2 endless eight. It's meant to troll you. At least it did for me. Watch DtB Gaiden before Season 2.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

The first season of Darker than Black entertained me. I love the idea of contractors and had made a sort of hybrid role play that mixed with Speed Grapher for a short period of time. The Izanagi and Izanami things got a bit confusing. Everyone seems to be expecting a season 3, but I don't quite get what the plot would work with. The second season had a lot of pacing issues and way too many questions to understand everything.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

It is worth watching, at least the first season that is the only one that im finishing to see, Yeah, i recommend you DtB more than any series except one or another one that i haven't seen such as Death Note
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

I've only watched the first season, and i really enjoyed it and think it's such a great anime, though i won't say it's one of my favorites anime series or even among the best anime i've ever watched. Just a great, interesting and enjoyable anime that i'd watch again. I've heard mixed comments about the OVA and Season 2...but mostly, that it's confusing as hell and doesn't make any sense at all.

As of what is it mainly about, well, to be short and not reveal any key details, it's about certain special people, called "contractors", who have access to a certain set of special powers, from the most intimidating to the most random ones, however they have to pay a "remuneration" everytime they use their powers, and it usually involves a crazy sudden obsession like eating tobacco or folding paper. The main character is a contractor as well (avoiding key details), and the story involves him fighting against other contractors who use their powers for evil deeds or whatever, as well as the origins of the contractors themselves, and the past, hidden truths and character development of several characters.
AZURE-KITE
Blue Rose Garden
Blue Rose Garden

Post by AZURE-KITE »

No, well, im going to put this as an spoiler  don't read this if you don't want to have VERY FURTHER SPOILERS............................................................Hei isn't a contractor, his sister is the real one, he only has a contractor power, he has no 'Remuneration' and indeed he fights another contractors, and one more thing: There's the Dolls, that are mediums.... well, i think u can have more info at Wikipedia, or if u want u can ask Shiori
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

AZURE-KITE wrote:No, well, im going to put this as an spoiler  don't read this if you don't want to have VERY FURTHER SPOILERS............................................................Hei isn't a contractor, his sister is the real one, he only has a contractor power, he has no 'Remuneration' and indeed he fights another contractors, and one more thing: There's the Dolls, that are mediums.... well, i think u can have more info at Wikipedia, or if u want u can ask Shiori
Yes, i KNOW all of that and more. But did you read the part about me not wanting to reveal any key details? XD It's also why i mentioned the "hidden truths" about some characters...that was in referrence to certain things you just said.

You said it under spoiler tags though, so i suppose it's fine. However, be VERY CAREFUL with that one spoiler if you haven't watched Darker than Black yet. It won't exactly ruin ALL the anime for you...but a good part of it and a very important plot detail, yes.
shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Post by shugo_lover »

Normally spoilers don't bug me.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

I just finished the whole thing and loved it. The english DUB version too. IT WAS GREAT! And to top it off it had my favorite composer Yoko Kanno doing the soundtrack. She did the ones for Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop, and Ghost in the Shell.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Do you have a preference on openings in the first season? The endings weren't as much a draw to me as the openings were.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

I like both openings honestly. The first opening for the song, the second for the scenery.
shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Post by shugo_lover »

Helbaworshipper wrote:Do you have a preference on openings in the first season? The endings weren't as much a draw to me as the openings were.
I didn't like the opening for the first season either.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

There are two openings.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

so who here has watched gemini of the meteor?
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

I saw it and the four episode OAV covering what happened between the first and second season. I was a bit confused at how badly paced the twelve episodes were.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

but I wonder if that was really yin at the last part...
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

Gemini of the meteor was a massive failure, which I believe stemmed from a desire to milk the original season.
The OVA was meant to answer questions that arose, but instead bought up more which it failed to answer.

IMHO, if you want to watch DtB, please dear god don't go beyond the first season.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

The Yin thing seems to be weak story wise. Yes, the idea itself was okay in the planning. Still, Gemini of the Meteor failed to explain a lot about the whole Izanami and Izanagi thing. The OVA series at least managed to maintain the feel of the first season.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

nobodyknows wrote:IMHO, if you want to watch DtB, please dear god don't go beyond the first season.
Lucky me, that's all I've watched. And I watched it dubbed too! It wasn't a bad dub, so I haven't bothered watching it in japanese.