How did you get into .hack//sign or hack series in general?

Discuss the anime series that started it all, .hack//SIGN and //LIMINALITY

Moderator: Moderators

Tack

How did you get into .hack//sign or hack series in general?

Post by Tack »

A friend of mine was hosting an party and he put on this series which had what looked like a magician of some sort taking care of a weird looking pig...

.hack fans will know which one this is. :lol:

Then my ex-roommate and I began watching episodes on late night Midnight Run and he picked up a PS2 and Infection and there you go. :)
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: How did you get into .hack//sign or hack series in gener

Post by Kuukai »

Pretty much the same here. I saw it with a friend as it came out fansubbed and was captivated by the flying pig things. I asked about them on the Japanese BBS and I got some amazing English response like, "It is important for you to know that the Puchiguso is not a real animal that lives in Japan." I wish I thought that. Then I asked Piroshi about them and I think I'm the only American with a question up on the CC2 website. Eventually I got more into the other stuff, like playing the games or watching the rest of the show...
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

My girlfriend is the one to blame for all of this.
It all began when she started to send me these cryptic, garbage-looking messages...which were pretty much an exact copy of Aura's messages from IMOQ, even in content. Discussion about .Hack came after that, in which she told me she had just become interested in these anime/videogames about an online game where mysterious things happen, odd creatures appear that weren't supposed to exist, and there was this mysterious girl you apparently had to save. I became somewhat interested from that, later she told me about the game she was playing (Infection), and went on a detailed description about one of the bosses, called Skeith, telling me it was hard as hell...something i immediatly took as a gaming challenge, and got the game myself in less than a month. Then i finished it, already knew i had found a new love, watched SIGN, went looking for the rest of the series...and like 3-4 years later, i'm in a dothackers forum posting about it XD
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

I caught part of an episode of .hack//SIGN on Toonami one night and began to try to follow it. I didn't get to see the whole series on television because I kept missing episodes so a little while later I was given the Limited Edition Complete Set, and the rest is history.
zerokoolpsx

Post by zerokoolpsx »

I was bored one day and as I was browsing Kotaku. Someone had the username HaseoKickAss. They were a few comments about this game and this character. I started playing .Hack G.U., so I have no prior knowledge of .Hack Sign, R1 or anything. It piqued my curosity because R2 heavily referenced R1 quite a bit. So, I watched .Hack Sign, bought and beaten IMOQ. I searched Haseo on Youtube and got one of Semisoma's video about Haseo being DD and the link to this site. The rest is history.
Also forgot, one of my friends tried to get me into IMOQ a few years back when it started, but the way he explained it was terrible. It was something like your playing a game within a game. I was like wtf? If he just said, you're playing a character that is playing an mmo. I could understand that.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Saw .hack//Sign the first time it aired on TV when I was in Japan that year. So I was pretty much in the fandom since day one.
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Em hmm.

"What are you doing?"
"Playing this awesome rpg."
"Oh god. Not Final f**king Fantasy again"
"It's not FF, it's called .hack//INFECTION"
"What the hell is a .hack? and why is it infected?"
"Shhh!! I just got a protect break!!"
"Protect wha-"
"DATA DRAIN MOTHERF*****"
*DD cutscene*
"O_O.....Gimme the controller."

And that's when I became a .hack fan. :D
hidora

Post by hidora »

S1lentOp wrote:I caught part of an episode of .hack//SIGN on Toonami one night and began to try to follow it. I didn't get to see the whole series on television because I kept missing episodes
Same here, except that it was on Animax. And I never got to watch SIGN until 2008, when I bought the DVDs after playing G.U. and watching Roots and Udeden.

What really got me into the series was my mom '-'

She came one night after work saying she bought a game she tought I'd like. It was G.U. Redemption. I had to look for Rebirth and Reminisce for 3 months to get the whole story. The problem is that the place where I found the games was in a part of the town too damn far away of my home, so I had to walk for three hours before I found a place where I could catch a bus and get home. It was 13:00 and it was too f***ing hot >_<

After that I spent 6 months looking for AI Buster, and a whole year looking for IMOQ =/
_Tri-edge_ wrote:Em hmm.

"What are you doing?"
"Playing this awesome rpg."
"Oh god. Not Final f**king Fantasy again"
"It's not FF, it's called .hack//INFECTION"
"What the hell is a .hack? and why is it infected?"
"Shhh!! I just got a protect break!!"
"Protect wha-"
"DATA DRAIN MOTHERF*****"
*DD cutscene*
"O_O.....Gimme the controller."

And that's when I became a .hack fan. :D
lol
Tack

Post by Tack »

hidora wrote:
S1lentOp wrote:I caught part of an episode of .hack//SIGN on Toonami one night and began to try to follow it. I didn't get to see the whole series on television because I kept missing episodes
Same here, except that it was on Animax. And I never got to watch SIGN until 2008, when I bought the DVDs after playing G.U. and watching Roots and Udeden.

What really got me into the series was my mom '-'

She came one night after work saying she bought a game she tought I'd like. It was G.U. Redemption. I had to look for Rebirth and Reminisce for 3 months to get the whole story. The problem is that the place where I found the games was in a part of the town too damn far away of my home, so I had to walk for three hours before I found a place where I could catch a bus and get home. It was 13:00 and it was too f***ing hot >_<

After that I spent 6 months looking for AI Buster, and a whole year looking for IMOQ =/

Your mom is awesome. 8)
Smitts

Post by Smitts »

I have a hard time sleeping.
I caught it on real late at night on Cartoon network when they had late Night Toonami.

I really liked the music and the idea of the series. it captivated me from the get-go.
and I have similar personality traits to Tsukasa.
Haseo{Terror of Death}
Protagonist
Location: "...in the rift between consciousness and unconsciousness of all souls..."

Post by Haseo{Terror of Death} »

Heh, I got started in a weirdish way. When I was younger I saw an episode or two of SIGN, and then a month later I saw an add for Outbreak in Shonen Jump, but nothin really ever sank in other than, "Damn that sword guy looks cool..." Then I saw LOTT and was not as amused, but watched about half of that series. When ROOTS came out, and I had a TV in my room, I wathed all of ROOTS and saw that there was a game, Rebirth. Then I bought and played all though GU. Then I saw AI Buster, read it, and decided to buy the entire series. So I saw all of it, but never really could due anything about it since I didn't have money.
sun king

Post by sun king »

I got into it because a friend of mine was about to throw away some ps2 games with the words .hack on them saying that they were crap, so I took them and first played Infection and then the rest I got hooked even my stepsister was hooked we even compared ourselves to kite and blackrose somtimes LOL :lol: .
TheEnigma
The Beholder of Chaos
The Beholder of Chaos

Post by TheEnigma »

Saw a single picture of the game with a small paragraph explaining what it was. It was in the Playstation Magazine or something. I ripped the page out of the book and still have it to this day. This was a good year or less before the game was released, so i just followed it until release and in that time found out about SIGN, but only saw a few episodes because of school. Luckily i own the whole series now.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

S1lentOp wrote:I caught part of an episode of .hack//SIGN on Toonami one night and began to try to follow it. I didn't get to see the whole series on television because I kept missing episodes so a little while later I was given the Limited Edition Complete Set, and the rest is history.
Pretty much exactly the same for me. 'Cept I had to buy the LE set myself; $130 or something. Ouch.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

I saw the trailer for .hack//infection. Then I began watching Sign when it came out on Cartoon Network. It started on Toonami, at least the first three episodes. Then I had to record it on a timer when it went adult swim. My parents wouldn't let me stay up late to watch it. Then I discovered dothackers...
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Am I the only one here who felt sleepy while watching //SIGN?
haseoskeith

Post by haseoskeith »

I bought a book about PS2 cheats and hints and whatnot.
I was looking through the pages when I saw an amazing screenshot. I was "O.O What is this?" I started reading on it, then I got hooked... A week later, i bought .hack//INFECTION. And it's been snowballing ever since
Nothing that exciting
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

_Tri-edge_ wrote:Am I the only one here who felt sleepy while watching //SIGN?
SIGN didn't have as much action as the games did. ROOTS also took the same attempt, though I think there was more fighting than SIGN pulled off.

Perhaps you just like the action parts or something? It is a bit slow in the beginning.
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Yes. I love action heavy anime, but I also enjoy compelling stories as well. I loved //Liminality but for some reason, //SIGN and //ROOTS just...bored me. //ROOTS especially.
CirilloPrimo

Post by CirilloPrimo »

I remember when I was a kid they had that program on cartoon network , I don't think it was toonami... It had like 2D bit game style you know. They showed yugioh, .hack//Sign, and Ruruouni Kenshin. Since my parents never let me stay up late I'd pass out right after rurouni kenshin and see bits and parts about .hack//sign. I still remember parts with sora, and some more with macha lol
And I remember a year or two before I got Infection they did one of those game review stuff on toonami and they talked about .hack with so much appraise! I still remember the part with Mia saying on a commercial "That's a nice bracelet!"