About the titles when you save the game... (spoilers?)

Ranylyn

About the titles when you save the game... (spoilers?)

Post by Ranylyn »

There's a reason I'm asking this in the Vol 3 thread, despite how part 1 ties in to all 3 games.

You know when you save your game, how the game seems to be divided into sub chapters per story event or something? Like, at one point you save your game and the save title is called Jealousy, and then you go save your game later and it says something like First Steps, culminating in "clear data?" Well I've noticed the title typically has something to do with the game. For example, the aforementioned example "Jealousy" was around the time of Alkaid's teasing Atoli about her super hot training session with Haseo, if I recall.

So after beating Taihaku, I noticed the title changed to Autism. I didn't pay it much heed at the time. I got to Taihaku at level 103 on my first file and I was flat out INFURIATED that my usual counter tactics were incredibly limited against him due to that insane aura effect, so I had to grind up to about 108 simply to have enough SP to outlast him, and yeah, point being I was too annoyed to really contemplate its meaning. But not this run. I knew this time that you can link from charge attack to skill trigger, so I was slamming him into the wall and following through with tiger strike, trying to juggle him, and keeping my awakenings on standby (Atoli and Kuhn fell in battle, and I did not have the SP to waste on Rip Maen for a distraction) for if he targeted me with dust bullet, to cancel out of it.

Well anyways, I got to thinking about what the autism could mean (and I never read the manga if it's explained there) and I came up with a few theories, and thought maybe I should ask what you guys think about the whole thing. My ideas are basically based around "Atoli and my Fiancee could be the same person if Atoli wasn't fictional, and I know my fiancee has a mild autism, so I'm really not surprised." But the thing is... who? Is Taihaku autistic? Or Endrance? I don't get how autism ties in with the context, unless Bo is autistic, since that's right before Saku tries to leave?

Point being, I'm curious what you all think of this.
GyppyGirl2021

Re: About the titles when you save the game... (spoilers?)

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Wouldn't surprise me if they were referring to Bo, it might explain why he's so shy all the time. Plus he has a whole host of other mental problems, so...
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

Yeah, and people with aspergers/ autism tend to be really good at art and Bo does say he loves to draw, it makes the most sense, I guess.

It's just that this happens immediately after the title match. before talking to Taihaku, and the timing was a little off. I was wondering if there was something I was missing.
Ratsu

Post by Ratsu »

This bugged me all the time. I have Autism (high functioning) and I cant figure out what any of it has to do with it myself ._.;
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

"Autism" is not a reference to the disorder, but rather the root of the name of the disorder... IE
A. Abnormal introversion and egocentricity; acceptance of fantasy rather than reality.
B. a tendency to view life in terms of one's own needs and desires.
C. being completely closed off from the reality around oneself and having no connection to it.

The name Autism comes from early descriptions of the disorder being categorized as having a 'mind that is completely closed off from the world.'

I think for the majority of GU, Haseo could be categorized as socially autistic, if not developmentally... (Though he may very well be, considering the vagaries in diagnosing the disorder...)