DG-Y, lulz?

Mistral's_Man

Re: DG-Y, lulz?

Post by Mistral's_Man »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:I have a tendency to give Atoli Vak Don or Gan Bolg in Volume 1 before she learns Rue Kruz naturally... on the basis that I find it SO ANNOYING that she can't attack until she learns Rue Kruz.
Well, technically she can attack, but I know what you mean. She received all of my Text of Powers, so naturally, while her attack was still lower than Haseo's and other luke-warm to hot offensive characters, she was able to have some decent output.

P.S. Have you ever seen Atoli launch an enemy? I used to wonder why enemies randomly flew past me in battle, until I saw her use a charge attack.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I've noticed that when my other teammate forgets to use a charge attack, Atoli will substitute. She loves to use them on my file. It's hilarious. XD

In a crossover fanfic of mine involving a series that is completely incompatible with .hack// (Fire Emblem), I used Atoli's physical attack weapon for comedic effect in a fight scene. :P
Mistral's_Man

Post by Mistral's_Man »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote: In a crossover fanfic of mine involving a series that is completely incompatible with .hack// (Fire Emblem), I used Atoli's physical attack weapon for comedic effect in a fight scene. :P
^--- Clever haha.

Another thing that bothered my about Atoli's physical attack is that she could only to 2-hit combos...I would have at least enjoyed a third haha. There had to be some other reason for levelling the weapon skill, besides the occassional new Arte.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Yeah, that's another problem I have with Atoli... of course, when you have Silabus and his 4-hit combos (with H&R) in the party, as well as Haseo with his scythe or twin swords, it's still pretty easy to rack up huge combos. XD

I usually aim for Rengeki in combat, which might be why I have almost too easy a time getting Silabus' affection up (he's almost always the first one to hit max in any one volume, unless I'm not using him).

...and on another, half-related note, I always found it annoying in Tales of Destiny 2 where you could only get Reala and Loni to do 3-hit combos by moving the control pad in a certain way... especially Reala, since because of that it took me forever to figure out how to use her in melee combat, but Loni's much easier because he doesn't really need a 3-hit combo...
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

If what you love is seeing Atoli pwn the hell out of enemies with nothing more other than her weapon, then this is definetly for you. Maybe she has a low attack and only a 2-hit combo, but that was just enough to take control of half the battles, completely beating the heck out of Goriki in the last battle...no spells used at all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eb89Lc2NuU
Mistral's_Man

Post by Mistral's_Man »

Bwahha. That was amazing. She must've been set to Tenacity. And I loved how every time Goriki was launched she was right there to juggle him. Ohh, Atoli. Thanks for that link by the way!
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

No matter how much you hate Atoli, you just have to admit that it's hilarious watching a pacifist Cleric from Moon Tree launching an enemy clear across the battle ring.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

It's actually an amazing sight :P
I'd say we're getting off-topic here, but well, the original topic which was about getting more than DG-Y was lost since the...4th post or so XD
Devilkid3009

Post by Devilkid3009 »

i finally got to watching that youtube video, damn i cant believe atoli can do that :P a weak harvest cleric knocking the hell and throwing you across the ring like that its like lol what you could you do with that staff *SMACK* and other people laughing their butts off at you for getting beat by a harvest cleric
Mistral's_Man

Post by Mistral's_Man »

Devilkid3009 wrote:i finally got to watching that youtube video, damn i cant believe atoli can do that :P a weak harvest cleric knocking the hell and throwing you across the ring like that its like lol what you could you do with that staff *SMACK* and other people laughing their butts off at you for getting beat by a harvest cleric
Harvest Cleric's are more useful than they seem...Most people however, aren't aware that you can take them off of "Life." Or all of my friends are just idiots, (seeing as I had to do that for all of them.)
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Well, most people think that Clerics are more "useful" when they're set to Life. To be honest, I think Free-Will is a much better setting - all characters love to spam high-level skills, so if a Cleric has enough SP left by the time your party gets low enough in HP to matter to the AI, they'll use LaPha Repth and restore everyone to max HP. :P
Mistral's_Man

Post by Mistral's_Man »

I thought that all of the AI should have started on "Free-Will."
I have noticed however that early in the game it's almost better to have Atoli on "Life." Until you at least hit double digits. Well maybe not better...Safer I suppose.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I haven't noticed much of a difference. I heal to max after every battle if it's at all possible given my GP and time constraints. :P

(I usually go to dungeons, so this is considerably easier, keeping my Chim count at 40-45 max. No Chim Assassins and no Doppelganger, plus more floors to do your business in. :P )

But setting Atoli to Life early on can help a bit. I haven't noticed TOO much difference due to overleveling, but that's my preference. :P
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

Indeed, Free Will owns every strategy unless you need healing and lots of it. Being underlevelled does that. I like to challenge myself sometimes. I beat Kuhn at level 23 on Volume 1 which was absolutely brutal since I had to solo, and overpower Antares's healing. Took me a few tries.

As for the DG-Y, Many people think they don't have a use but I disagree. They're perfect for skill spammers. I combined them with the 3-slot quick recharge once, and I was Weapon Change-Double Triggering through everything. Granted, that does not fit my play style. It was just an idea I tested that turned out okay.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

You crazy man. :P

Well, yeah, DG-Y's probably just as broken as DG-Z, but in a different (and insanely more entertaining) way.
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:You crazy man. :P

Well, yeah, DG-Y's probably just as broken as DG-Z, but in a different (and insanely more entertaining) way.
I almost wish I could have them for early arena battles to make counterattacks easier :P

Ultimately, with that 50% HP Boost item, DG-0 is the ultimate. Deliberately hurt yourself and wow. I've hit 300 damage a bullet in the upper floors of the forest of pain. I honestly never use any other gun unless I'm goofing off.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I don't usually use DG-0, but that's mainly because I don't usually get it... I hate fighting Doppelganger. It's more the creepy music than anything. XP

Also, I have an obsession with keeping my HP above a certain amount in RPGs... so I doubt that even if I used it, DG-0 would pack that much punch...
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:I don't usually use DG-0, but that's mainly because I don't usually get it... I hate fighting Doppelganger. It's more the creepy music than anything. XP

Also, I have an obsession with keeping my HP above a certain amount in RPGs... so I doubt that even if I used it, DG-0 would pack that much punch...
Doppelgangers are easy once you learn the tricks to it. I've never succeeded at a solo attempt but then again I wasn't using poison and curse. I'm more of that cheap guy everyone hates who just lines up the rengeki and awakening against doppelgangers.

The beauty is, even at its worst, the DG-0 is still 18 attack, just two points shy of the DG-X. People say it caps out at 36 attack. That is false. The attack stat on the weapon doesn't change but you can tell from your P-Atk Stat when it's equipped. I've had it a full 100 points above the Silad, and with the Other Self armor, you're basically invincible anyways.

Of course, that's for when you want to brutally murder everything in sight, and most people use the DG-Z for that anyways.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I've never had too much of a problem with Doppelganger when I actually fight him (Beast Awakening FTW!), but I still hate fighting him for some reason. Like I said, it's probably the music giving me the creeps. :P

Well, yeah, DG-0 is insanely broken, but that's really only if you don't mind getting yourself hurt. XP
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:I've never had too much of a problem with Doppelganger when I actually fight him (Beast Awakening FTW!), but I still hate fighting him for some reason. Like I said, it's probably the music giving me the creeps. :P
It is creepy but I only ever hear it for a second since I steam bike into him.
Well, yeah, DG-0 is insanely broken, but that's really only if you don't mind getting yourself hurt. XP
I'm a masochist. Don't tell my fiancee! Just kidding. I like my skin intact thanks.