A "not expecting" position

Discuss the multitude of .hack Manga and Novels!

Moderator: Moderators

d0tti3

Re: A "not expecting" position

Post by d0tti3 »

Agreed. The idea of AIs learning and growing with the actual players is so interesting~

At that, unsuspecting AIs could rise from character development. Thinking that they're real, and as their story/character develops, it could be found out that instead of the character being an actual PC, we discover it's an AI.

what a tweeeest
Darmk Lord Space Cow

Post by Darmk Lord Space Cow »

I agree that having a character that's an ai develop and grow while we think he is a real person is a good idea whut I don't want to see is kite being an ai that I think is rediculouse and whuld totaly ruin dot hack for me I say if they wanna introduce new characters and have them be ai that's fine I think that's a good cool idea but let the old characters keep thare identitys decouse it just whuldent be the same.
d0tti3

Post by d0tti3 »

As a devoted fan it seems, good for you to stick by that. But for myself and many others, having the same material just regurgitated over and over is going to kill the series faster than riding a highspeed steambike into a beast temple.

Bringing in absolutely new characters might be risky, because the persons would have to top Kite and Haseo as far as popularity. I can see that maybe they're just going the safe route with sticking with the old veterans of The World rather than taking a risk. As much as I think that risk would be absolutely awesome.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

It would be a very interesting twist if the protagonist was am AI, but didn't know about it. Like if they had false memories of the outside world, and could for some unknown reason transcend the system's boundaries. However, I don't think they will do this because they already did that with Mia, and if what they did to her in G.U. is any indication of their feelings towards the character, they didn't really like her that much. Also, it would seem like a copy of Cloud Strife going through his "I'm a clone of Sephiroth!"/"I'm not a clone of Sephiroth!" stage.
1) Mia didn't have false memories of the real world.
2) Mia is one of the staff favorites. She was killed the way she was in order to make Endrance the way he is and jerk tears from the fanbase. (Though she does come back as Endrance's Lost Weapon, so :P)
I agree that having a character that's an ai develop and grow while we think he is a real person is a good idea whut I don't want to see is kite being an ai that I think is rediculouse and whuld totaly ruin dot hack for me I say if they wanna introduce new characters and have them be ai that's fine I think that's a good cool idea but let the old characters keep thare identitys decouse it just whuldent be the same.
Kite's had an AI counterpart before, so it's not new. And if Tsukasa, Balmung, and Sora, who are a lot more popular than Kite, have AI counterparts, why the hell would Kite be so special? If anything, he's more likely to have an AI counterpart due to his significance to Za Warudo's memory.

As for the AI's thing, I DO want atleast a few to feature. The AI population got totally shafted in the GU series, and that was ****. What happened to Za Warudo being a womb for AI? What happened to "All are equally blessed"? What happened to "The Twilight is really a New Dawn?"

God dammit.
SoraCross

Post by SoraCross »

AuraTwilight wrote: Kite's had an AI counterpart before, so it's not new. And if Tsukasa, Balmung, and Sora, who are a lot more popular than Kite, have AI counterparts, why the hell would Kite be so special? If anything, he's more likely to have an AI counterpart due to his significance to Za Warudo's memory.
Kite already had an AI in G.U.. Sure, it might not have been complete, or... non-retarded... but it was still an AI. I think that if we do get an AI Kite it'll be Azure Kite again, and since the Kite in Link isn't retarded I think it is safe to assume it is really him (though you could easily say Aura healed him, but if that was the case why wouldn't she do it in G.U. after the game ends?).
AuraTwilight wrote: As for the AI's thing, I DO want atleast a few to feature. The AI population got totally shafted in the GU series, and that was ****. What happened to Za Warudo being a womb for AI? What happened to "All are equally blessed"? What happened to "The Twilight is really a New Dawn?"

God dammit.
The World R:2 was a womb for AI in G.U., just not an AI with any personality what so ever (AIDA). You do see a lot of old AIs in Net Slum you, but even this is kind of "Meh." I find it funny that every single AI made in G.U. is retarded.

I would really love for the next .hack game to go back to IMOQ's style more than G.U.'s.
FallenDragon
Location: Lost In A Sea Of Thoughts...or falling asleep in front of the monitor

Post by FallenDragon »

SoraCross wrote:Kite already had an AI in G.U.. Sure, it might not have been complete, or... non-retarded... but it was still an AI. I think that if we do get an AI Kite it'll be Azure Kite again, and since the Kite in Link isn't retarded I think it is safe to assume it is really him (though you could easily say Aura healed him, but if that was the case why wouldn't she do it in G.U. after the game ends?).
Maybe Aura finally finished his data, we don't know; in GU she just threw the AI unifinished to The World because of the AIDA problem.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Kite already had an AI in G.U.. Sure, it might not have been complete, or... non-retarded... but it was still an AI. I think that if we do get an AI Kite it'll be Azure Kite again, and since the Kite in Link isn't retarded I think it is safe to assume it is really him (though you could easily say Aura healed him, but if that was the case why wouldn't she do it in G.U. after the game ends?).
Perhaps she wanted the Azure Knights to develop on their own after the AIDA incident and repair themselves.
The World R:2 was a womb for AI in G.U., just not an AI with any personality what so ever (AIDA).
1) The AIDA had plenty of personality
2) They weren't born in Za Warudo, they invaded it.
You do see a lot of old AIs in Net Slum you, but even this is kind of "Meh." I find it funny that every single AI made in G.U. is retarded.
I guess Zelkova and a few NPCs in that one Rumor guild (I forget which) are retarded, then? And Midori?
SoraCross

Post by SoraCross »

AuraTwilight wrote: Perhaps she wanted the Azure Knights to develop on their own after the AIDA incident and repair themselves.
Maybe, but this is just speculation. Good theory though.
AuraTwilight wrote: 1) The AIDA had plenty of personality
2) They weren't born in Za Warudo, they invaded it.
You got me on number two, but number one is just wrong. The AIDA had no personality what so ever. they were just a hive mind predictor. You wouldn't say a bear had personality, or a pack of wolves had personality would you? Well, I guess I should clarify that I mean "Interesting Personality" when I say "Personality" where as you probably take it as "Anything that shows evidence that it is alive." I think that if the AIDA tried to trick you, or send you messages or threats on their own they would have been interesting, but all they really were in G.U. was Ovan's evil seed. Good concept, but executed poorly.
AuraTwilight wrote:
You do see a lot of old AIs in Net Slum you, but even this is kind of "Meh." I find it funny that every single AI made in G.U. is retarded.
I guess Zelkova and a few NPCs in that one Rumor guild (I forget which) are retarded, then? And Midori?
Zelkova has not been confirmed by AI. It is merely fan speculation. Also I honestly have no idea who the other NPCs you're talking about are. However, if they really are AI and were spawned from R:2 than you will have proven me wrong regardless of weather Zelkova is an AI or not.
Art_Master_Gio

Post by Art_Master_Gio »

SoraCross wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:
Zelkova has not been confirmed by AI. It is merely fan speculation. Also I honestly have no idea who the other NPCs you're talking about are. However, if they really are AI and were spawned from R:2 than you will have proven me wrong regardless of weather Zelkova is an AI or not.
It's not exactly fan speculation, in the G.U. Perfect Guidebook they mention that Zelkova "might not exist offline". http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Zelkova#Basic_Info
SoraCross

Post by SoraCross »

Art_Master_Gio wrote: It's not exactly fan speculation, in the G.U. Perfect Guidebook they mention that Zelkova "might not exist offline". http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Zelkova#Basic_Info
Might and does are two different things.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Also I honestly have no idea who the other NPCs you're talking about are. However, if they really are AI and were spawned from R:2 than you will have proven me wrong regardless of weather Zelkova is an AI or not.
Nuada, the guildmaster of Empireo highly seems to be an AI. Overall in all GU he just acts like a common player who happens to know alot of stuff (unaccurate but close, such like the ghost girl (Aina), black dots (AIDA), tuning fork that leaves you in a coma (A in C note), etc.), but also shows alot of interest and research in finding more about them and never shows any other knowledge involving such events, so you can say he's just another player who's been paying attention too much. However in Vol. 3 after defeating Cubia, if you talk to him he'll say something like "Haven't we met in Paradise before? I'm sure you were the one with the pretty string on your back"....there's just no friggin way a normal player would use terms like that, even after being in Netslum (heck, nobody even knows what was that place and just go with what CC Corp told them), making him either an AI, someone who knows ALOT MORE than anyone else...or the post-game Nuada PC got possessed by an AI :/ Definetly not a retarded AI though; no way you could difference it from a normal player without clues or hints.

The other is Encephalon, also from the guild Empireo. He usually talks in a deep and serious tone, and knows less than Nuada but is also quite acknowledged of the incidents. And everytime he talks about something, he refers to a "He", like "He too agrees", "I'll be off to discuss this with him", "He and i are going to sleep now", "He too seems interested", and so on. There might be a chance that "He" is actually an AI. Don't remember where i heard about it before, but it's a fact that he's the closest to Nuada in the game, and that "He" along with the crypticness he uses to talk sometimes seems to hint something quite 'special'....there could be alot of possibilites, but one of them is the AI. Maybe both Encephalon and "He" are AIs, who knows :/ Another thing to add on it is that such "He" suddenly disappears in Redemption....Encephalon just stops mentioning it altogether, maybe at the beginning he still does if you talk to him but later he just speaks other stuff, still on his own style though.

There's another member of Empireo, Renji, and maybe a few other members, some people in the forums also seem interest in joining to the guild, but Nuada and Encephalon are the only ones that hint connections to something that goes beyond normal players. Only thing worth mentioning about Renji is that he survived a fight against an AIDA-infected Holy Gore thing...by completely turning off the power to his PC and forcing a restart (which completely excludes him from being an AI, but that would be a very doubtful possibility anyhow)

.....I pay more attention to NPCs than i do to the actual plot and main characters, it seems >~>; lol
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

You got me on number two, but number one is just wrong. The AIDA had no personality what so ever. they were just a hive mind predictor. You wouldn't say a bear had personality, or a pack of wolves had personality would you? Well, I guess I should clarify that I mean "Interesting Personality" when I say "Personality" where as you probably take it as "Anything that shows evidence that it is alive." I think that if the AIDA tried to trick you, or send you messages or threats on their own they would have been interesting, but all they really were in G.U. was Ovan's evil seed. Good concept, but executed poorly.
Just because the AIDA don't trick you or send threats doesn't mean they don't have personality. We know they want to learn, and that they're schitzophrenically insane, and there's a pseudo-political divide between the two AIDA clusters due to Tri-Edge's mutation, whom we know to be a sadistic, domineering asshole. I could go on.
See the following posts. and while "Might" and "Does" are different, the fact that it's been brought up, and that it's more likely than any other option, is good enough for me. No way in hell an ordinary hacker would be running a peace-loving guild, but it's totally in character for an AI to do so due to how PKing is like actual violence to one, and he also loves getting sidetracked and playing in Za Warudo, and speaks in cryptic, pseudo-religious imagery just like AI's. The fact that he has a hacked character design that's so blatantly obvious has always been used to imply AI's before, along with his attachment to a single human, Kaede, over anyone else, such as Mia, Lin, Lycoris, and Zefie.