R:X Lost Grounds?

Discuss the multitude of .hack Manga and Novels!

Moderator: Moderators

AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Re: R:X Lost Grounds?

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well the Lost Grounds THEMSELVES are illegal areas. CC Corp just says otherwise since they can't do anything about them.
Midori

Post by Midori »

Keyaki wrote:
Midori wrote:I'd like to see the Lost Grounds make a return, but perhaps with a little more functionality. They've always been an oddity within "The World" but it was nice to see them implement some use, such as Coite-Bodher Battlefield when you used the Virus Cores to access Backtop City Megin Fi in G.U.

Perhaps in the third installment, we'll see them implement even more functionality from the Lost Grounds?
The Lost Grounds were always there just for show, since they are in the backstory of R:2.

And I think that area in Coite-Bodher is probably an illegal area, i dunno why, i just do. Besides that place always made me "iffy" about, in ROOTs you needed, I think 8 virus cores to get to that other area on top of the dragon, but in Vol 2 Reminisice, you needed 8 Data Seeds :/
Isn't that the same thing?
AuraTwilight wrote:Well the Lost Grounds THEMSELVES are illegal areas. CC Corp just says otherwise since they can't do anything about them.
Ah, I think I understand. So they are tied to the blackbox Harald Hoerwick left behind, yes?

Is the R:X version still running off that box? If not, then the Lost Grounds might not make a return.
Last edited by Midori on Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Hey Midori, please don't double post. Just edit your first one next time.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

No they aren't, did you play Vol 2 and Vol 3?

Data Seeds were obtained in Vol 2 from data draining AIDA and Virus Cores could only be obtained in Vol 3 by using Avatar Awakening on monsters, 2 different things
Midori

Post by Midori »

Keyaki wrote:
No they aren't, did you play Vol 2 and Vol 3?

Data Seeds were obtained in Vol 2 from data draining AIDA and Virus Cores could only be obtained in Vol 3 by using Avatar Awakening on monsters, 2 different things
Ah yes, that's right!

How strange that they were interchangeable.

What i don't get, is that Virus Cores were just lying around in ROOTS. Wouldn't that mean that someone must've already been at a level where they were using their avatar awakening on monsters? And then they just...left the virus cores laying around?

The only one who I can think of who would already be running around using their avatar would be Endrance.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Virus Cores can just be found growing in certain areas of Za Warudo. This is true for a few choice dungeons in the first four games, and in GnU, the characters find a dungeon room full of them after a holiday event.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

and none of the Epitaph Users can use Avatar Awakening, only Haseo can because Haseo is the only one that Keyaki messed with his Divine Awakening
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Well, I wouldn't say the only one. We don't know if Ovan has it or not, and he most likely does as Haseo's parallel.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

AuraTwilight wrote:Well, I wouldn't say the only one. We don't know if Ovan has it or not, and he most likely does as Haseo's parallel.
But its not like it's like a hidden ability that Epitaph -Users gain the more experience they have with their Avatars, Keyaki just altered Haseo's Divine Awakening 0.o

He didn't do it to anyone else, and even though Ovan had haxxors experience manipulating AIDA, i doubt it could give Ovan the ability to use Data Drain
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

It's a bit far reaching to say that Ovan may have had that ability. There's nothing in the canon that really proves or even hints at it.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

But its not like it's like a hidden ability that Epitaph -Users gain the more experience they have with their Avatars, Keyaki just altered Haseo's Divine Awakening 0.o
We don't really know how much Zelkova's involvement was. He created Xth Form, but he claims that all he did was "give it shape." I don't see how this is much different.

Plus, Ovan's a hacker as well, and he can Area Hack even though Pi and Yata never gave him the ability, so eat it.
It's a bit far reaching to say that Ovan may have had that ability. There's nothing in the canon that really proves or even hints at it.
Except that he can get Virus Cores if he wants to, and that he's kind've supposed to be Haseo's parallel. And he's a hacker on atleast Zelkova's level.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

AuraTwilight wrote:
We don't really know how much Zelkova's involvement was. He created Xth Form, but he claims that all he did was "give it shape." I don't see how this is much different.

Plus, Ovan's a hacker as well, and he can Area Hack even though Pi and Yata never gave him the ability, so eat it.
Except that he can get Virus Cores if he wants to, and that he's kind've supposed to be Haseo's parallel. And he's a hacker on atleast Zelkova's level.
weird
Altre

Post by Altre »

Ovan is just strange as hell. Not to much else about him hidden around in all of the media. No doubt he was a badass hacker, if not, being infected like he was he may have gained some magical ****.
xthform22

Post by xthform22 »

magical ****? i bbelive the online term is hacked skill... or somthing along that line...
S. [Burned] Y.

Post by S. [Burned] Y. »

Altre wrote:Ovan is just strange as hell. Not to much else about him hidden around in all of the media. No doubt he was a badass hacker, if not, being infected like he was he may have gained some magical ****.
I'll have to agree with xthform, it's most likely AIDA gave him a lot of abilities that only Zelkova can match. In fact, I think Ovan first started to get interested in The World when he found The Creator's Room with the Ryu books and the Epitaph of the Twilight, causing him to further hack into the game. That's probably why AIDA was attracted to him, the fact that he wanted more knowledge from the game and to stay with Aina.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

I disagree. I believe Ovan was a hacker ever since he joined The World, because as Yata said, they were hacker buddies before the time Ovan became infected, and most likely Ovan was a better hacker than him (and we know Yata had his skills too). Ovan was always interested in The World, and together with his hacking knowledge, that's what allowed him to find The Creator's Room and the Epitaph of Twilight...it's not like he found them out of nowhere and just because of it he started developing his hacker skills; it happened in the opposite way. And AIDA wasn't attracted to him, because if you remember, the real target of the very first AIDA attack was Aina, and Ovan blocked it, becoming infected instead. Then, after that and pretty much out of desperation in order to save Aina, he became researching even more the secrets of the World, mostly those related to Aura/The Key of Twilight, and so he learned even more, but it's not like AIDA suddenly gave him the knowledge or something like that...all that AIDA gave him was a crazy living thing attached to his character that would make him go insane every once.
Another clue of how Ovan was an awesome hacker before the AIDA incident is Aina's character model, and possibly his own character model too. If you remember, in Vol. 3 Piros mentioned how Aina used an illegal character model, and it wasn't a mere color change (like some hackers in LotTB) or just a little added thing (like Zelkova's horns, maybe we can mention too Terajima's wings or even Balmung's wings, though those were "legal" in the way that CC Corp made them), it was a whole new character design that the game accepted and nobody really noticed it, and it makes me think that Ovan did the same with his character, and same with the lock, though his Avatar could've been related to the lock's creation. The only other "drastic" change we've seen is Haseo's Xth Form, done by Zelkova, and if indeed, all that Zelkova did was "give it shape", then it isn't any different to Ovan making his and Aina's characters, and so, at least on this point, making Ovan and Zelkova the same when it comes to hacking skills. So this leads me to think that Ovan used Avatar Awakening too, without the need of a party (who would be his party anyways?), and could've also used the Serpent of Lore without any problem, just like Zelkova, and even find Net Slum, seeing how he found The Creator's Room on his own.

Wow...i rambled 'XD
S. [Burned] Y.

Post by S. [Burned] Y. »

Oh don't get me wrong, I think Ovan was a hacker before The World, but I wouldn't put him on the level such as Helba. While he probably was experienced, I really believe that AIDA gave him quite a bit. The creation and usage of "signs", able to PK players into comas (as well as just PK them), and transportation from most likely any dungeon or town (En was able to move to the back streets of L. Cloth using the black dots). I know AIDA was aiming for Aina, but I doubt it would've stopped at just her if it had hit, chances are it would've gone after Ovan as well.

As for the appearance, that was without question Ovan's doing. I will say that I believe Ovan's avatar was part of the lock, simply because a hack, or program, even has it's limits, especially when controlling something as powerful as AIDA.

As for his the theory of him having Avatar Awakening, I don't think he had exactly it, but most likely something similar. Maybe something like a AIDA Awakening.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Well yeah, AIDA gave him the ability to make Signs and put people into comas, but those aren't exactly "skills" he wanted to have or even wanted to use at all, and whenever it happened it was mostly by Tri-Edge taking control and doing it :P And yeah, though the Signs and AIDA overall gave him a whole new method of transportation, i believe he already had his own method for going around the areas he wished without having to use the Chaos Gate; a method of Area Hacking (else he wouldn't have ever reached the Creator's Room), and maybe even without the use of anomalies, like Haseo and Pi did. So, even though AIDA did give him some abilities, they didn't make him smarter than he was (though did push him to know more and become smarter), and without them he still would've done as much as he did...perhaps a bit less, but without risking any lives.

And though i've had my "gaming dreams" (thanks to someone) about Ovan using AIDA Awakening and stuff like that, i think it's most likely he just had his own Avatar Awakening, or a means overall to use Corbenik's Data Drain without summoning Corbenik entirely. However, this too reminds me that everytime he used Corbenik's power, he had to let AIDA free and possibly lose control of himself...so, if he ever used such Awakening, it could've been some sort of Avatar-AIDA Awakening, using both Corbenik and AIDA's powers for it (and probably the reason why he didn't need a party...in one way or another, Tri-Edge was his partner :P) But even so, i still believe that, if he ever used an Awakening like that, it was because he himself hacked and messed around his character to be able to use it, not because AIDA gave him the ability too, even if thanks to AIDA he was able to use it like that.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

FYI, the lock on his arm was a creation of Corbenic. But Ovan is still one of the biggest hackers in the series, since he managed to hack his way into the Creator's Room without help from his Epitaph or anything.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

AIDA gave him the ability to make Signs
Tri-Edge, merely just damaged the area data of the where he put the sign in the shape of it.
they were hacker buddies before the time Ovan became infected
When did Yata say that?
it makes me think that Ovan did the same with his character,
Doubt it, you forget R:2 Character design system is WAY more in-depth than R:1's, with more possibilities and the like, except for the seal im sure it was just a regular character creation for himself, for Aina, i can't remember what Piros said so I'll just go with what you said