Origin of names

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I'm pretty sure it's just a westernization of Piroshi, which is a corruption of Hiroshi, a common name. Hiroshi Matsuyama, president of CC2, is undoubtedly the basis for this character. Most of the writing for Piroshi is done by him, and he uses "colorful" language like Piroshi even normally...
Shell

Post by Shell »

Kuukai wrote:I'm pretty sure it's just a westernization of Piroshi, which is a corruption of Hiroshi, a common name. Hiroshi Matsuyama, president of CC2, is undoubtedly the basis for this character. Most of the writing for Piroshi is done by him, and he uses "colorful" language like Piroshi even normally...
Yeah, I knew that already. xD; Just thought it was interesting.
Axe

Post by Axe »

Haha. I would probably kill him.
adamgnome

Post by adamgnome »

Lycoris comes from the flower of the same name, but it also means twilight in Greek.

I think Haseo's name is related to where Sora's comes from.

Macha's name comes from the Goddess of the same name, which is related to the thing called Morrigan, which is probably where Morganna's name comes from. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B3rr%C3%ADgan )

I used to remember where all the old Root Towns names came from, but I'm not so sure now.

Pai comes from the word Oppai, which means breast. XD
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Pai's name probably doesn't come from that, though that's a common joke. ^^; On of the theories is it's "Pi", possibly to indicate the "full circle" of revenge... I think it might be short for "spy", but i guess we just won't know for a while...

I also just realized "Sakubo" is also a homophone for "Machination", in addition to meaning "new moon-full moon ", and Saku being short for "Sakura"... The totally overloaded that name... ^^;;;;
Nenja

Post by Nenja »

well Macha in some Hispanic countries is use as term to describe woman than act or dress like men

Matsu=Pine
Kaede=Maple
:lol:
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

All the Ikoro names are stars:
Tenroh->Sirius
Taihaku->Venus
Taika->Antares
Yowkow->Benetnasch
Chili

Post by Chili »

I always believed Kite's name stood for either the bird or those you'd see attached to string and getting eaten by trees.

Note: Trees do eat kites. They just don't show it. And if they could, they'd break into ear-splitting grins everytime they chomp on a hapless kite. <JK> <JK> <JK> <JK> <JK>

There's some significance in Tsukasa's name, which almost made me think of 'wings'. But that's wrong because it's actually 'tsubasa', not 'tsukasa'. -still looking into that-
Umbra
The Avaricious
The Avaricious

Post by Umbra »

Tsukasa was just a name chosen for its ambiguity, it can be a first or last name, male or female, a real name or a nickname.

The name Tsukasa adds to the mystery that surrounded him throughout the series.
Nenja

Post by Nenja »

are Tenrow and Taihaku related to stars too?

Haku means White

Tenrow could be from 10 row?
Kaoshima

Post by Kaoshima »

"ten" means heaven if i'm not mistaken.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Nenja wrote:are Tenrow and Taihaku related to stars too?

Haku means White

Tenrow could be from 10 row?
Dude, they're both translated in my post above. They're the names from Chinese astronomy I believe. Just change the h to a w (I have no idea why they spelled it like that)
Shadow Dragon

Post by Shadow Dragon »

Woah. You guys're all really smart. I didn't know a lotta the name meanings for these guys but thanks to everyone ehre now I know a little more.

Thanks! :D
Vio-kun

Post by Vio-kun »

Interesting topic.
marthwmaster wrote:I think Fili is also Latin for "son."
Sorry, but you're wrong about that. As far as I know, 'fili' doesn't mean anything in Latin. Filius means son and filia means daughter.
I checked my Finnish-Latin-Finnish dictionary: Nope, just fili doesn't mean anything.

Hmm. Why would Hotaru need a clear, traditional gender? We're living 21th century, we have all kinds of amazing and weird techinacal stuff, but we still try to label others by such a pretty meaningless thing as a gender? Doesn't make sense to me. Actually, I think that it'd best if we'll never get to know Hotaru's physical online gender. Has anyone else than me thought that Hotaru could possibly be a transgender or transsexual? Or just a person who doesn't care that much about gender stereotypes.

I've seen Macha also spelled as Maha and Maho. In Finnish maha means stomach and maho's old word for sterile. XD Oh yeah, I had lots of fun while watching Sign.
Tylec

Post by Tylec »

Correct me if I'm wrong but Ginkain would be the literal translation of "Silver Knight".

Any analysis on Ovan or Shino?
Osamu

Post by Osamu »

End of a Shadow wrote:
Kay wrote: :shock: You do know Hotaru is a girl right?!
He's a he :wink: check out .hack//Unplugged in the manga or the sound drama file .hack//Lets Meet Offline.
I can't remember what issue of Legend of the twilight refers hotaru.

Reki to Ouka and Mereille(can't spell):He(Shugo) and some girl with a sick grunty went to the valley of hades to battle cerebus.

So there.
Last edited by Osamu on Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Tylec wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but Ginkain would be the literal translation of "Silver Knight".

Any analysis on Ovan or Shino?
Shino is her real name, no particularly special meaning. Ovan, no idea...
Kaoshima

Post by Kaoshima »

Narayu wrote:
End of a Shadow wrote:
Kay wrote: :shock: You do know Hotaru is a girl right?!
He's a he :wink: check out .hack//Unplugged in the manga or the sound drama file .hack//Lets Meet Offline.
I can't remember what issue of Legend of the twilight refers hotaru.

Reki to Ouka and Mereille(can't spell):He and some girl with a sick grunty went to the valley of hades to battle cerebus. So there,.
While Hotaru's character model is a girl, and is refered to as a girl online, the controversy is whether or not the offline player is a girl or boy. But ultimately, there's not enough evidence on either side to prove anything. And it's not like it really matters anyway, the story is predominantly online, not offline.
Tylec

Post by Tylec »

A thought: assuming Ovan's name is Latin in origin and not Japanese, then the root of his moniker is 'ova', the plural of ovum, or egg.

Eggs are a type of seed birthing living creatures,
Corbenik is modeled after a seed,
Ovan is titled 'The Rebirth'.

Or maybe he just likes Greek poetry and named himself after the exiled writer Ovid?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Yeah, that makes the most sense to me. The only other possible explanation is that it's an anagram for "nova"...