Origin of names

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

PyroTwilight

Post by PyroTwilight »

Phyllo (cat character in Roots) means friend in Greek. Like Philanthropist...
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

marthwmaster wrote:
Shell wrote:The Twin Blade class is pretty much the thief class of The World.
How do you figure? It doesn't allow you to do more damage by sneaking up on the enemy, and you can't really steal in the game.
Thief is usually the quick, dual-wielding class though. If it corresponds to anything, it's that. .hack was derived from a "stealing" game, and Kite's name was derived from "mysterious thief". Whether or not that's the fictional derivation of his name, it is the real-world one.

Hotaru: From the fireflies he saw long ago when visiting his mother's country home in Japan.

Sandstorm Sanjuro: From Kuwabatake Sanjuro, the main character in the Akira Kurosawa film Yojinbo.
Shell

Post by Shell »

Kuukai wrote:
marthwmaster wrote:
How do you figure? It doesn't allow you to do more damage by sneaking up on the enemy, and you can't really steal in the game.
Thief is usually the quick, dual-wielding class though. If it corresponds to anything, it's that. .hack was derived from a "stealing" game, and Kite's name was derived from "mysterious thief". Whether or not that's the fictional derivation of his name, it is the real-world one.
Yes, exactly right. And I think that the sneak attacking would be more suited to an assassin-type class, even though they're usually associated with thief-types classes anyway. :3
Kay

Post by Kay »

Kuukai wrote:
marthwmaster wrote:

Hotaru: From the fireflies he saw long ago when visiting his mother's country home in Japan.

Sandstorm Sanjuro: From Kuwabatake Sanjuro, the main character in the Akira Kurosawa film Yojinbo.

:shock: You do know Hotaru is a girl right?! but other than the gender mess up your right about the fireflies it mentions it in AI Buster 2.
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

Kay wrote: :shock: You do know Hotaru is a girl right?!
He's a he :wink: check out .hack//Unplugged in the manga or the sound drama file .hack//Lets Meet Offline.
Shell

Post by Shell »

Wow, that's strange! xD Though, looking at the Unplugged picture, he sure has long hair for a boy... well, for a younger teenage boy, anyway. Lookit that ponytail~
Shinsou Wotan

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

End of a Shadow wrote:
Kay wrote: :shock: You do know Hotaru is a girl right?!
He's a he :wink: check out .hack//Unplugged in the manga or the sound drama file .hack//Lets Meet Offline.
That drama is a possibly-out-of-continuity extra to the anime adaptation of LoTT, which in turn differs from the manga in several major ways. Don't try to use it to prove anything about the source. Hotaru in //Unplugged looks rather female to me. And his/her gender is indeterminate in AI Buster 2.
Kaoshima

Post by Kaoshima »

As revealed in A.I. buster 2, he/she also watches the NBA with his/her dad, but then again, that doesn't mean much, either "he" is a typical guy in that respect, or "she" is a tomboy. His/Her behavior in LotT concerning monsters could possibly be the biggest clue however. so personally, I think Hotaru's a chick, just, a tomboyish, athletic chick. Admittedly, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that a tomboy/sports fan would be such a pacifist, especially when it comes to in-game monsters, however that could be just role-play, which she could've easily picked up from Sanjuro.
But that point kinda counterbalences the point of Hotaru's pacifism being a clue to his/her gender. Honestly, the debate could go on for hours.
marthwmaster
The Fullglass Optimist
The Fullglass Optimist

Post by marthwmaster »

Kaoshima wrote:His/Her behavior in LotT concerning monsters could possibly be the biggest clue however.
So you're saying Hotaru's pacifism indicates vis gender? Talk about sexist. :P
Last edited by marthwmaster on Wed May 17, 2006 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaoshima

Post by Kaoshima »

Sorry, but that's just my viewpoint, I'm not saying it's true, but I personally think that most guys would be much less inclined to role-play in that manner, I mean think about it, us guys play games so that we can blow stuff up, not to freeze monsters while we collect food for our pig/cow things, (and don't start riding me for that either, I know it's a grunty) I mean instinctively, a dude sees a monster, and his first reaction is: "KILL IT!! :twisted: " whereas many (not all) girls see a mouse and they scream bloody murder.

This is all simply based on my own observations. I do not consider women to be inferior or weak in any way. I do recognise, however, obvious differences between men and women that most people are afraid to mention for fear of being labeled as sexist. These differences are merely that, differeneces, they're not strengths, or weaknesses, I don't even consider pacifism to be a weakness, just a different way to go about things. [/rant] :P
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

You clearly don't watch enough anime. The "weak guy" shows up a lot...
Shinsou Wotan

Back on topic...

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

Yata (八咫) is probably related to yatagarasu (八咫烏), a three-legged raven associated with Amaterasu, yata no kagami (八咫鏡), a mirror which is one of the three treasures that form the Japanese imperial regalia, or both.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Though the word "yata" itself just means "big", both those things supposedly being named after their size... The raven and mirror are definitely more relevant than the actual meaning of the word itself in this case, though.

Saku/Bou = New Moon/Full Moon

Naobi: Means "restoration". In the Mytho-Hystory of Japan, Naobi-No-Kami (the "spirit of rectifying evil") is one of many gods born (Including Amaterasu) when the god Izanagi washes in a river to purify himself after visiting the land of the dead.
marthwmaster
The Fullglass Optimist
The Fullglass Optimist

Post by marthwmaster »

Kaoshima wrote:I don't even consider pacifism to be a weakness, just a different way to go about things. [/rant] :P
AAMOF I was offended for the opposite reason. As a guy, I don't particularly like being stereotyped as a bloodthirsty animal. I'm just as likely to seek a peaceful solution to a problem as I am to bust a cap in yo ass. But that's me. 8)
Kaoshima

Post by Kaoshima »

Kuukai wrote:You clearly don't watch enough anime. The "weak guy" shows up a lot...
true... which is part of why the whole debate is so near impossible
marthwmaster wrote:
Kaoshima wrote:I don't even consider pacifism to be a weakness, just a different way to go about things. [/rant] :P
AAMOF I was offended for the opposite reason. As a guy, I don't particularly like being stereotyped as a bloodthirsty animal. I'm just as likely to seek a peaceful solution to a problem as I am to bust a cap in yo ass. But that's me.
point taken, I am actually the same way. However, I was merely expressing an opinion, I do not wish to offend anyone. If I have come off as sexist in any way, I offer my deepest apologies.

As for the issue of Hotaru's gender, in the end, it doesn't much matter, since LotT is more about the Online characters and the relationships formed between the players through the game then the Offline players themselves. Viewed objectively, there's not enough evidence to swing the vote either way anyhow, so I for one am gonna quit trying to figure it out. (It's hurting my brain)

(btw, I've never seen "AAMOF" before, wazzat supposed to stand for?)
marthwmaster
The Fullglass Optimist
The Fullglass Optimist

Post by marthwmaster »

Kaoshima wrote:(btw, I've never seen "AAMOF" before, wazzat supposed to stand for?)
(As A Matter Of Fact. :wink: )
Kaoshima

Post by Kaoshima »

ah, thank you! btw, sorry for the waste of time, since hotaru's gender can't really be figured out with the evidence there is now. Hopefully that little peice of info will be addressed by CC2 and Bandai at a later time. :roll: until then, we'll just be running around in circles...

Onwards! To the Continuation of ye Topic! Frederic Mistral was a french poet who lived from 1830-1914, The Mistral is a hot, dry wind that blows across southern France.
Axe

Post by Axe »

Crim was from the Crimson Knights (He was one)
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Though he picked his name before they were formed. It is short for "crimson" though.

Atoli is from the name of her bird (toli=tori=bird)
Shell

Post by Shell »

Piros apparently means "red" in Hungarian. There's a small village called Rumenka in Serbia that was once called "Piros" because red flowers bloomed everywhere there.
Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumenka

There's probably no connection, but it reminds me of Lycoris. :B