Tsukasa's Mother.

Discuss the anime series that started it all, .hack//SIGN and //LIMINALITY

Moderator: Moderators

milliennium_fox

Post by milliennium_fox »

The way I see it, if it was Tsukasa's mother, wouldn't they have made a bigger effort to emphasize that?
mentis

Post by mentis »

At this point I think there is evidence for either interpretation. It would be nice to have some official word from the creators as to the intended meaning of that scene. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen :P.
Shinsou Wotan

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

mentis wrote:It would be nice to have some official word from the creators as to the intended meaning of that scene. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen :P.
Actually, it already has, and I just remembered where.

On the CC2 .hack page, there's a section called ".hack//Filmscript", which contains scripts of some of the episodes. These scripts don't match the final product in all details, but in general they're close enough. Here's a rough translation of an extract from the script of episode 23, "The Eve":
--Flashback
Police station, investigation room (?) [translator's note: this question mark in parentheses was present in the original]
Various items including 2 CDs, a pair of sneakers, and a child's brassiere are on a table.
(All she really wanted was the bra. The rest was just for camouflage.)
Tsukasa just sits there obstinately, along with a policewoman who is waiting for something.
The door opens, and Tsukasa's father enters.
Without saying anything, he hits Tsukasa with an open hand.
She falls from her chair, and glares weakly up at her father through her long bangs.
Her father, enraged, raises his hand to hit again, and the policewoman hurriedly grabs his arm.
mentis

Post by mentis »

Ah, that's excellent. I don't necesserily like being proven wrong :P, but in this case its good to get to the bottom of this.

Shinsou, thanks for finding that info. If only the scene had resembled the script closer (with the Policewoman coming to Tsukasas "rescue") it would have made more sense to me, I think :D.
Rental Daughter
BURRNN MY BREEADD
BURRNN MY BREEADD

Post by Rental Daughter »

Shinsou Wotan wrote:
mentis wrote:It would be nice to have some official word from the creators as to the intended meaning of that scene. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen :P.
Actually, it already has, and I just remembered where.

On the CC2 .hack page, there's a section called ".hack//Filmscript", which contains scripts of some of the episodes. These scripts don't match the final product in all details, but in general they're close enough. Here's a rough translation of an extract from the script of episode 23, "The Eve":
--Flashback
Police station, investigation room (?) [translator's note: this question mark in parentheses was present in the original]
Various items including 2 CDs, a pair of sneakers, and a child's brassiere are on a table.
(All she really wanted was the bra. The rest was just for camouflage.)
Tsukasa just sits there obstinately, along with a policewoman who is waiting for something.
The door opens, and Tsukasa's father enters.
Without saying anything, he hits Tsukasa with an open hand.
She falls from her chair, and glares weakly up at her father through her long bangs.
Her father, enraged, raises his hand to hit again, and the policewoman hurriedly grabs his arm.
ooooo that really helps ^-^ I know it wasn't too much of a sad scene but I still feel sorry for Tsukasa *hugs Tsukasa*
Cless
The Wandering Twin Blade
The Wandering Twin Blade

Post by Cless »

Here's a little more information. Do you remember the things Tsukasa said about his mom when the got to the question that involved a movie called "The Room" and it's creator. Tsukasa mom watched a lot of movies.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Yea, that's already been said. Thanks.
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

For the sake of simplicity, I'm going to refer to Tsukasa as a he. I have seen the entire series and I know Tsukasa is a she.

There really isn't much of a debate here... Tsukasa said his mother was dead and we saw a flashback of her funeral (and yes, that was a Japanese funeral). We know it's her funeral because Tsukasa said she was dead and we never see any other female character related to Tsukasa and his father anywhere else in the entire series. If it were any other person, it would have been both unlikely to appear anyways and completely irrelevant to the storyline. Also, if she wasn't dead, Tsukasa wouldn't have thought that his mother's spirit was an omniscient voice in The World. Obviously she couldn't have been both in her body and a spirit in a game at the same time. Then there was the dramatic reaction Tsukasa gave when Morgana made him believe she was his mother. The final piece of evidence is that we never see her at any other time in the series in th real world while Tsukasa is unconscience. We only see his father. It is pretty safe to say that Tsukasa's mom is dead and buried. I'm sorry, but to say she's still alive or "just left" isn't exactly a rational or accurate interpretation of the series.

As far as I can see, all of the arguements saying she's still alive are only supported by "What if" and "Wouldn't they have" comments and no real evidence from the series itself.
Last edited by S1lentOp on Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaoshima

Post by Kaoshima »

S1lentOp wrote:Now, Tsukasa's mother couldn't have died at childbirth because we clearly see him and his father at her funeral when he was small. Now, he had to have been at least 3 in that flashback and the last time I checked, most people don't wait 3 years after someone dies to have a funeral.
Actually it's very possible she died during childbirth, as there is a japanese tradition of, well, celebrating wouldn't be a good word, so for lack of a better one, honoring the anniversary of someone's death. A death during childbirth would also greatly increase the incentive for the father to resent Tsukasa's existance, resulting in abuse.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

And yet Tsukasa is able to recall that his mother liked old movies and seemed to have a big bond with her and crap.
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

AuraTwilight wrote:And yet Tsukasa is able to recall that his mother liked old movies and seemed to have a big bond with her and crap.
Good point.
Ritrox

Post by Ritrox »

And yet Tsukasa is able to recall that his mother liked old movies and seemed to have a big bond with her and crap.
I actualy think that is funny. :lol: not her mother dying at child birth, but tsukasa knows that after his mother died. mabey his dad said something like that, or there where tapes of the sort.
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

And what significant evidence would suggest she died in childbirth rather than when Tsukasa was 5-12 (guessing the age).
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Especially that Tsukasa can recognized his mother's voice.And it's perfectly possible that Morganna used Tsukasa's mom's voice, just like she manifested a photo of his mother and called up Tsukasa's other memories, and how Morganna only used that voice in Tsukasa's presence. And since Morganna being able to browse the internet is unlikely (Why would a game management system need to) it's much more plausible to assume Morganna got the Little Mermaid story from Tsukasa's memories.
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Aura's getting good at this :D
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Pfft. Whaddya mean? I've always been great at this stuff. Now excuse me. I need to do my ritualistic anime-esque victory dance.

I like big eyes and I cannot lie
You other heroes can't deny
That when a girl walks in with little bittie eyes
and pink spiked hair in your face
You get sprung!
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

AuraTwilight wrote:I like big eyes and I cannot lie
You other heroes can't deny
That when a girl walks in with little bittie eyes
and pink spiked hair in your face
You get sprung!
Heh, I think you might want to re-read that, because there's something wrong with it >.>
Kaoshima

Post by Kaoshima »

:cry: I was just presenting an alternate theory... you didn't need to be so harsh... however I do see you point.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Heh, I think you might want to re-read that, because there's something wrong with it >.>
Welcome to British humor. Confused? Us too.
Haro
Location: hangin with sawo on the otherside of the hybrid rainbow...

Post by Haro »

AuraTwilight wrote:Especially that Tsukasa can recognized his mother's voice.And it's perfectly possible that Morganna used Tsukasa's mom's voice, just like she manifested a photo of his mother and called up Tsukasa's other memories, and how Morganna only used that voice in Tsukasa's presence. And since Morganna being able to browse the internet is unlikely (Why would a game management system need to) it's much more plausible to assume Morganna got the Little Mermaid story from Tsukasa's memories.
but didnt tsukasa not know the story? i remember that morganna explained it to her because she dident know it, or am i wrong?