.hack franchise plot threads that are still unresolved?

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: .hack franchise plot threads that are still unresolved?

Post by Kuukai »

"Catalyst" (Kataroo + ist) being equivalent to "YouTuber" - Kataroo (語る, to tell a story) is an analog to YouTube (is that owned by MONOREAL as well?) .hack is good about incorporating developments in technology and society into the story.

I hate to say it but as interesting as it is this sounds like a side story though, like Kazumi's dumny avatar.
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

Kuukai wrote:"Catalyst" (Kataroo + ist) being equivalent to "YouTuber" - Kataroo (語る, to tell a story) is an analog to YouTube (is that owned by MONOREAL as well?) .hack is good about incorporating developments in technology and society into the story.

I hate to say it but as interesting as it is this sounds like a side story though, like Kazumi's dummy avatar
EDIT:

Thanks. I was wondering about that. I don't feel the same however it does end up a battle royal over who might become the next god of the system. After Catalyst is expanded ARIS finds a way to use the system to control people's will by attempting to control their's thoughts whenever they become more emotionally unstable (similar to AIDA) and it ultimately ends up in the hands of this  mass produced hybrid real digitalize person/wandering AI Crying Princess who uses it to spread a suggestion that almost forces 30 Million Users plus others connected to the net to unconsciously commit suicide similar to Morti from .hack//Legend of the fabled '.hackers" or Yuri Seto's Virus from .hack//bullet. Which might be where they got the idea. (Or at least I think that's what is going on... since the story start mentioning this DD's sister Lily around the end. And there is a bit of bouncing back between chapters 9 and 10 and some stuff about natural decay.) However the Protagonist only solve the situation by  using the Hero's Reality Burst to erase Crying Princess connection from everyone's memory entirely. Also I'm not entirely sure what's going on with the second villain though... But he might have ended up  vanishing into the game completely.

Overall it's .hack//bullet if the the user were in control of the Key of the Twilight, Yuri's computer virus was a more complete Morganna, Aura was a tiny azure knight who loved to watch over you at all times with an occasional pop in from some Twilight Knights and whatever the heck the Unicorn was.
Last edited by (Phantom) Thief on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

It's either implied or outright stated that MaMa created both Sophia and the virus that spurred its adoption.
To what end? Sure one of the Sopia AIs did throw someone into a coma but that was accidental and I doubt the anti-Aura faction had planned Sophia as another experimentation with Soul/Real Digitalization, it was just meant to be a mass-produced/bootleg imitated version of Aura.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I'm pretty sure it was originally another attempt to accomplish MaMa's goals without Aura. I mean, it's a clone of Aura...
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Kuukai wrote:I'm pretty sure it was originally another attempt to accomplish MaMa's goals without Aura. I mean, it's a clone of Aura...
~Chuckles~
C'mon if that's the case then that was an attempt that was terrible before it even began. All it did was allow itself to get corrupted by the same Virus Bug created by the same people who created Sophia and corrupt The World R:X and Force Era almost to the point of destruction and inadvertedly send people into comas.

I know, I know. During the Bloody Christmas incident, those who were Soul Digitalized were imprisoned into the Digital Bastille and Mama was experimenting with it but the way it happened was sloppy and doubt Mama intended it the way it did.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Chaos is a great inventor. They probably learned that from AIDA.

EDIT: Inventory->inventor
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Kuukai wrote:Chaos is a great inventory. They probably learned that from AIDA.
They observed the incident as a chaotic testbed to observe and collect more data on Soul Digitalization. Possibly did the similar thing with AIDA.

That what you're saying? Why AIDA and not Morganna?
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

I think because Morganna, as a self-aware entity beyond anyone's direct control could possibly lash out against those who would try to manipulate her. especially seeing as she was the God of The World. AIDA however, while self-aware to an extent did not have the same amount of control that Morganna had making them prime test subjects or worthy areas of study. One likely can't acquire the power of a God as Morganna, but watching the smaller components in action may reveal something of the larger picture on how to manipulate the situation.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Xu Yuan wrote:I think because Morganna, as a self-aware entity beyond anyone's direct control could possibly lash out against those who would try to manipulate her. especially seeing as she was the God of The World. AIDA however, while self-aware to an extent did not have the same amount of control that Morganna had making them prime test subjects or worthy areas of study. One likely can't acquire the power of a God as Morganna, but watching the smaller components in action may reveal something of the larger picture on how to manipulate the situation.

Unlike Aura, Mama wasn't trying to control over Aura. They just saw her as step to their ultimate goal.

And even though I think we're grasping at straws, say this in-fighting between the two factions of Mama has been going on ever since 2010(and I sincerely doubt it) that would mean the anti-Aura faction was observing Morganna and Soul Digitalization caused by her. But it was suggested that they learned to observe and collect desirable data through choatic and unintended circumstances. Considering they were around since the 80s and were present ad watching during GU why not capitalize on Morganna instead of AIDA?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Keyaki wrote:
They observed the incident as a chaotic testbed to observe and collect more data on Soul Digitalization. Possibly did the similar thing with AIDA.

Oops autocorrect. I meant inventor, but yes that's the basic point. It's just a suggestion, but I would say that the lesson of AIDA was that huge, powerful, unpredictable unknowns can emerge from a chaotic situation. Regardless, Morganna was basically just the thing that Harald made as part of their existing plan enacted by Erna and others. Not that they weren't closely observing the Morganna Incident and ever plotting how to use it for their goals, they're basically always doing that. But I don't see why they would intervene in any way until they fully understood Morganna, since compelling Harald to build an AI they could use was a plan they had already set into motion. If anything it explains their hesitation to intervene.
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Harald is awfully concerned about a "Warped Aura" or "Dark Aura". I always found that a little strange that his initial thoughts on what was going wrong with Morganna was that Morganna was turning Aura into something he never had planned for. At the time I thought it was because he couldn't comprehend that Morganna could act against her programming, but now that we know a bit more was there another faction out there that Harald was aware of that may have been trying to awaken a "Dark Aura"?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

That's a possible direction they could retcon, but the "dark Aura" of Morganna was simply an Aura with stunted growth. Morganna's job was to produce the Ultimate AI, but she couldn't continue to do that if she actually succeeded. So instead she acted to make the process last forever. Instead of drawing thoughts from the entire player base, she focused on "coloring" Aura with Tsukasa's trauma. When that didn't work she fought to break Aura back down. All in the interest of keeping Aura's "birth" lasting forever.

It's worth contrasting this with the goals of MaMa, who wanted an Ultimate AI, presumably on this side of forever.
(Phantom) Thief

Xu Yuan wrote:Harald is awfully concerned about a "Warped Aura" or "Dark Aura". I always found that a little strange that his initial thoughts on what was going wrong with Morganna was that Morganna was turning Aura into something he never had planned for. At the time I thought it was because he couldn't comprehend that Morganna could act against her programming, but now that we know a bit more was there another faction out there that Harald was aware of that may have been trying to awaken a "Dark Aura"?
I think its very possible. Unless Harald was somehow being manipulated by or corrupted by mama even futher without ever meeting them.. I believe Harald had some ifea of what Aura was expected to become and what she could be if born differently. Strangely both Harald and Dominique seem to repeat very similar information where "she is our hope" To add since Harald had been in contact with the technology for real digitalize since 2006 and maybe even earlier than that so he may have understood to a greater sense what the future might hold. (Though I secretly have a feeling that red woman devowering him with her body has something to do with his current state of mind) Realistically however its all just more of that JJ Abrams example that Kuukai talking about earlier.

----

Also on a separate note I noticed this little a while ago but back in some of the older topics in addition to all the other details going on it looks like the Digital Basile was also another attempt to create another Ultimate AI and that it was also revealed that mama were using Black-Virus/Evolving Virus to increase the demand for Sophia was the only system able to combat the virus in the first place... Meaning that until the virus surpassed their expectations mama had quite a triangle of a plan going...

This virus even makes it far into Guilty Dragon.  And from what I understand causes the game to create/choose a guardian to replace Aura who I think sadly was also becomes infected with the virus. Oh and I finally figured out what happened to Navico too.
---

Furthermore I've been meaning to ask but what are the chances Emma/Erna's private supernatural experience were related to an ealier form of the two forms of digitalization.
Kuukai wrote:That's a possible direction they could retcon, but the "dark Aura" of Morganna was simply an Aura with stunted growth. Morganna's job was to produce the Ultimate AI, but she couldn't continue to do that if she actually succeeded. So instead she acted to make the process last forever. Instead of drawing thoughts from the entire player base, she focused on "coloring" Aura with Tsukasa's trauma. When that didn't work she fought to break Aura back down. All in the interest of keeping Aura's "birth" lasting forever.

It's worth contrasting this with the goals of MaMa, who wanted an Ultimate AI, presumably on this side of forever.
How deep do you think the rabbit hole will really go?
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Kuukai wrote:
Keyaki wrote:

Oops autocorrect. I meant inventor, but yes that's the basic point. It's just a suggestion, but I would say that the lesson of AIDA was that huge, powerful, unpredictable unknowns can emerge from a chaotic situation. Regardless, Morganna was basically just the thing that Harald made as part of their existing plan enacted by Erna and others. Not that they weren't closely observing the Morganna Incident and ever plotting how to use it for their goals, they're basically always doing that. But I don't see why they would intervene in any way until they fully understood Morganna, since compelling Harald to build an AI they could use was a plan they had already set into motion. If anything it explains their hesitation to intervene.
They let chaotic events that they dont predict run their course and try to glean as much relevant data and information as they can from it and then hope that someone else is brave enough to handle the situation for them. That's just irresponsible and disgustingly self-centered. I know, this isn't really unheard of given who we're talking about and Trilogy actually showed this.

And unfortunately, that makes a pretty damn well-written villain.
I believe Harald had some ifea of what Aura was expected to become and what she could be if born differently. Strangely both Harald and Dominique seem to repeat very similar information where "she is our hope"
Nah. Harald had no idea of Mama's existence and Emma was too smart to let him in on anything. It was always said that Emma admired Haralds' abilities more than himself and now we know why. And yea, Dominique and Harald did see Aura as their hope but for completely different reasons. Dominique saw her as the ultimate way to achieve Mama's goal of stopping all human activity to save the planet. Harald saw Aura as a literal god that would usher in an age of prosperity with the worldwide network*.
To add since Harald had been in contact with the technology for real digitalize since 2006 and maybe even earlier than that so he may have understood to a greater sense what the future might hold.
2006? You mean that .Hack//Legend of the Twilight novel? Was that even finished?
Also on a separate note I noticed this little a while ago but back in some of the older topics in addition to all the other details going on it looks like the Digital Basile was also another attempt to create another Ultimate AI and that it was also revealed that mama were using Black-Virus/Evolving Virus to increase the demand for Sophia was the only system able to combat the virus in the first place... Meaning that until the virus surpassed their expectations mama had quite a triangle of a plan going...
I mentioned the Quantum computer earlier and, to my understanding, it was really just used as an experimental digital prison for criminals that Mama decided to experiment with. But that does raise a question I forgot to ask earlier.

Fine. Sure; Sophia was another experiment for the anti-Aura faction of Mama to accomplish their goals but market off Sophia? Why? So everyone can have their own personal AI system that can Soul Digitalize everyone when the time comes? The more their plots evolve the crazier they seem.

*(Though, frankly, the latter seems incredibly far-fetched. Harald did seem to have a bit of a flair for being dramatic but then again, given how accurately .Hack has predicted the future in real-life I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Having a way to have absolutely no network problems at all will definitely makes everyones lives easier. Which I, personally, see as an unforunate testament to how dependent we've come on technology. But I digress)
(Phantom) Thief

Keyaki wrote:
Kuukai wrote:
Keyaki wrote:

Oops auto correct. I meant inventor, but yes that's the basic point. It's just a suggestion, but I would say that the lesson of AIDA was that huge, powerful, unpredictable unknowns can emerge from a chaotic situation. Regardless, Morganna was basically just the thing that Harald made as part of their existing plan enacted by Erna and others. Not that they weren't closely observing the Morganna Incident and ever plotting how to use it for their goals, they're basically always doing that. But I don't see why they would intervene in any way until they fully understood Morganna, since compelling Harald to build an AI they could use was a plan they had already set into motion. If anything it explains their hesitation to intervene.
They let chaotic events that they dont predict run their course and try to glean as much relevant data and information as they can from it and then hope that someone else is brave enough to handle the situation for them. That's just irresponsible and disgustingly self-centered. I know, this isn't really unheard of given who we're talking about and Trilogy actually showed this.

And unfortunately, that makes a pretty damn well-written villain.
I believe Harald had some idea of what Aura was expected to become and what she could be if born differently. Strangely both Harald and Dominique seem to repeat very similar information where "she is our hope"
Nah. Harald had no idea of Mama's existence and Emma was too smart to let him in on anything. It was always said that Emma admired Haralds' abilities more than himself and now we know why. And yea, Dominique and Harald did see Aura as their hope but for completely different reasons. Dominique saw her as the ultimate way to achieve Mama's goal of stopping all human activity to save the planet. Harald saw Aura as a literal god that would usher in an age of prosperity with the worldwide network*.
But it all seems so suspicious. Oh and I think they were probably planning something like what you mentioned I just haven't seen anything beyond those certain notes.
To add since Harald had been in contact with the technology for real digitalize since 2006 and maybe even earlier than that so he may have understood to a greater sense what the future might hold.
2006? You mean that .Hack//Legend of the Twilight novel? Was that even finished?
Yea, .hack//Epitaph of Twilight finished somewhere around 2009. And at the end of volume 2 Harold ends up leaving a note for Lara regarding her experience in the black box and explains one of the reasons why he avoided using the program in the game. Also before at the end of volume 1 just after Lara ends up missing for the first time he suspect that she might be in the game mutters how the program shouldn't have worked ((which Yata (Twilight Knight) also confirms as the first case of Real Digitalize in .hack//Link.)) Additionally Real Digitalize usually works with a computer device that can emit a specific wavelength of light that transforms solid matter into light however P-COM wasn't around then which should have meant something and but doesn't because of an odd circumestance about the hardware that Harald was used which came from a digital display not yet available to the public. In addtion the only company for anyone to conduct business with following Pluto's Kiss was ALTIMIT/(mama) who Harald likely had to have some contact with someone from in order to continue his project (which around 2006 all internet activity save for government or business purposes was restricted.). Oh you better believe mama's ability to troll is very, very real circa .hack//'s 2006 timeline.

Sources:
Shinsou Wotan wrote:Volume I goes from Lara's arrival in the World of Alba and her meeting with Bith and Fili just before the Wave consumes Saya's home, through her meetings with Lilith and Gendor (the other two Shadowed Ones) in the Dividing Forest and the fight against Cubia in the swamp of Coite-Bodher, to the destruction of the city of Arche Haokar. It ends with a brief scene in the real world, with Lara's father and Harald returning to the house and trying to find Lara. When Harald sees Fragment running and the goggles and controller lying on the floor, he mutters to himself, "It shouldn't have worked."
Shinsou Wotan wrote:It is, essentially, the story of Lara Hoerwick, the very first player of the earliest version of Fragment, and the first person to experience the fundamental weirdness of what would later become The World.

Lara and her father (unnamed) go to visit her uncle Harald. While Harald and her father are out of the house, Lara lets her curiosity get the better of her. She goes into Harald's workroom, and notices something interesting on one of the computers in there. She tells herself that no one will notice if she spends a few minutes looking at it, puts on the goggles, picks up the controller, selects "Login", and finds herself in the world of the Epitaph of Twilight.

Lara is more than a bit surprised when she realizes that, as far as she can tell, she's actually in said world, and not sitting in a chair holding a controller and wearing goggles. She's in the body of Saya, the "little witch" who is the central character of the Epitaph.

Now, a note on the structure of the book. Each chapter opens with a prose rendition of part of the story of the Epitaph of Twilight (often focusing on characters other than Saya and her companions), which is followed by Lara's first-person account of her adventure. For the most part, Lara's actions are fairly close to Saya's, but there are a number of significant exceptions.

Volume I goes from Lara's arrival in the World of Alba and her meeting with Bith and Fili just before the Wave consumes Saya's home, through her meetings with Lilith and Gendor (the other two Shadowed Ones) in the Dividing Forest and the fight against Cubia in the swamp of Coite-Bodher, to the destruction of the city of Arche Haokar. It ends with a brief scene in the real world, with Lara's father and Harald returning to the house and trying to find Lara. When Harald sees Fragment running and the goggles and controller lying on the floor, he mutters to himself, "It shouldn't have worked."

Volume II opens with the travelers fleeing from the burning ruins of Arche Haokar just before it is consumed by the second Wave (which lives up to the title "The Mirage of Deceit"). It covers their passage through the desert; crossing the hostile lava lake of the Dark Hearth to meet with Tartarga' escaping through the tunnels to the Forest of Everlasting Darkness; getting sucked into the dream of the six-headed dragon Lazeth, where Lara faces Cubia and defeats it once and for all at a terrible cost; and onward through the Temple of Arche Koeln and the End of Land where Lara frees a frozen six-winged sprite; the Keel Mountains where they meet a riddling dragon (but no ape); and finally to the Wavering Peninsula. Meanwhile, the Wave has consumed almost all of the world, and the surviving inhabitants make their last stand at the shore of Alba's Lake, trying to protect Hulle Granz Cathedral, where it is said that the Twilight Dragon will arrive.

Rocks don't fall; everyone dies.

Just kidding.

Mostly. Suffice it to say that the Twilight Dragon does not simply swoop in and save everyone. A fairly well-known summary of the Epitaph describes the Dragon's words to the travelers as "unexpected", and the story certainly lives up to that. I won't spoil it here.

After talking to the Dragon and making some comments that lead to a change of approach in the development of Aura (and eventually to the story of The World as we know it), Lara wakes up in her uncle's house. The months she just experienced all took place in about three hours real time. It seems it was all just a dream. Or at least, that's what her father thinks - Lara isn't convinced, and the note Harald leaves for her when he disappears a few years later seems to support her opinion.
Shinsou Wotan wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:So is there any explanation for how Lara just magically vanished from the real world, or what?
There's no explanation of the mechanism, though the fact that the goggles Harald had attached to his computer were a form of display not yet available to the public may be relevant. There are also a few lines in the note he left her at the end:

I was testing out a program in that game, but I was unable to test play it.
You understand why, right?
After going in, I couldn't have gotten back out without outside action.

(quick translation, probably mostly accurate)
Kuukai wrote:...The very last thing in the game (well, without codes) is a mail from Yata clarifying that the other Real Digitalization in The World's logs was Lara. Interestingly enough, the sidestory where you play Fragment actually is part of .hack//Epitaph of the Twilight. Instead of entering the game, Lara had directly entered the Epitaph data within the game. During the mission there Tokio heard a voice guiding him (iirc he even mentioned he thought he had heard it before), and this was Lara (Gram and Yeats couldn't hear it, Tokio probably could because he resonated with it).
Last edited by (Phantom) Thief on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

(Phantom) Thief wrote:Unless Harald was somehow being manipulated by or corrupted by mama even futher without ever meeting them..
We still don't know the full story behind Erna and what happened, and how they created the Epitaph of the Twilight and how they hoped things would play out. My theory would be that the Epitaph is a blueprint for the Immortal Dusk, which isn't the worst retcon honestly since it kinda fits. Harald was just smitten and wanted a child, and probably to leave his mark on the world and put his ideas into a tangible form.
(Phantom) Thief wrote:Furthermore I've been meaning to ask but what are the chances Emma/Erna's private supernatural experience were related to an ealier form of the two forms of digitalization.
It was probably staged as part of a cover identity, judging from everything else about "Emma."
Keyaki wrote:That's just irresponsible and disgustingly self-centered. I know, this isn't really unheard of given who we're talking about and Trilogy actually showed this.
Yes, they're a cult with an intense conviction that they're right.
Keyaki wrote:Fine. Sure; Sophia was another experiment for the anti-Aura faction of Mama to accomplish their goals but market off Sophia? Why? So everyone can have their own personal AI system that can Soul Digitalize everyone when the time comes? The more their plots evolve the crazier they seem.
Well, apparently just having one Sophia didn't complete the job. It's unsaid, but by running it on as many servers as possible maybe they were hoping that that would lead to Immortal Dusk?

EDIT: I pulled out most of the relevant the Link emails, including some interesting unused ones, not a lot of time right now to translate or appraise the translation currently in the patch:
依頼:マザーデータ

『黄昏の騎士団』パイから
依頼メールが届いたウパ。
メーラーに転送するウパよ。

>あなたにお願いしたい
>仕事ができたわ。
>ドル・ドナの中央広場に来て。

詳しいことは
2017年のドル・ドナで
パイから直接話を聞くウパ!

未使用

『黄昏の騎士団』パイから
トキオ宛にメールが届いたウパ。
メーラーに転送するウパよ。

>手記の解読に成功したわ。

>彼の真の目的は……
>叔母である天城綾香の人格を
>デジタル世界の中に
>再生することだったようね。

依頼:カロンの囚人たち#1

フリューゲルから
依頼メールが届いたウパ。
メーラーに転送するウパよ。

>少年、お元気?
>少ーし頼みたいことがあるんだわ。
>マク・アヌの中央広場に
>来てもらっていいかぁ?
>ああっと、『R:X』のな。

詳しいことは
2020年のマク・アヌで
フリューゲルから直接話を聞くウパ!

依頼:カロンの囚人たち#2

フリューゲルから
依頼メールが届いたウパ。
メーラーに転送するウパよ。

>いよぉー、少年。
>この前『アカシャ盤』で拾った
>アイテムの分析結果が出たんでな。
>塔の再調査を行うぞ。
>マク・アヌの中央広場に来てくれ。
>『R:X』だぞ。

詳しいことは
2020年のマク・アヌで
フリューゲルから直接話を聞くウパ!

依頼:波果つる世界

『黄昏の騎士団』八咫から
依頼メールが届いたウパ。
メーラーに転送するウパよ。

>君に頼みたいことができた。
>準備が整ったのなら
>私に報告したまえ。
>指示を出そう。

この依頼は、2007年が
舞台になるみたいウパ。
詳しいことは
八咫から直接話を聞くウパ!

依頼:Unison

『黄昏の騎士団』ヘルバから
パーティーの招待状メールが
届いたウパ。
メーラーに転送するウパよ。

>2010年のネットスラムで
>騎士団とシックザール合同の
>慰安パーティーを行うわ。
>天城彩花にも、招待状と
>彼女用のPCを送っておいた。
>一緒に参加しなさい。

>受付はネットスラムの
>カオスゲートよ。

詳しいことは
2010年のネットスラムで
ヘルバから直接話を聞くウパ!

依頼:ジーニアスの報告書(未使用)

2014年から差出人不明の
メールが届いたウパ。
未来からのメールなんて
初めてウパよ……?
一応、メーラーに転送するウパ。

>デビッド様

>ご要望の書類をお送りいたします。
>後査収願います。

分析結果

『黄昏の騎士団』八咫から
トキオ宛にメールが届いたウパ。
メーラーに転送するウパよ。

>『碑文の断片』を分析した結果、
>奇妙なことが判明した。
>君以外の『生身の人間』の
>記憶がデータとして
>混じっているようなのだ。
>『リアルデジタライズ』の技術が
>確立されるはるか以前の時代に
>なぜこんな現象が起きたのか?
>詳細は現在調査中だ。

あ!

思い出したよー! トキって
『fragment』のときにわたしと
会ったでしょー!

……そのときはイェーツって
名前のナイスなミドルのPCを
使ってたんだけど。

W・Bイェーツって、わたしの
尊敬する詩人の名前が元ネタ
なんだよ。知ってた?

……なるほど

今だから言うが、初めてトキオに
会ったとき、どこかで聞いたこと
のある声だと思った。

思い出したよ。

オレがグラムだ。
『fragment』の白骨平原では
世話になったな。
バルムンクという名前は、
あの聖剣からとったんだ。

補足

『The World』の前身である
『fragment』に関して、
『生身の人間』の記憶がデータとして
混じっていることを伝えたと思うが、
さらに詳細がわかったので
伝えておこう。

その人物の名はララ・ヒューイック。
彼女はハロルドの姪であり、
父に連れられて叔父の研究室を
訪れた折に何らかのきっかけで
開発中の『fragment』の中に
入ってしまった。

といっても彼女は『fragment』に
PCとして『リアルデジタライズ』
したわけではない。
世界観の基盤となっている
『黄昏の碑文』の物語そのものに
アクセスしたのだ。
『黄昏の碑文』に登場する
『ちび魔女サヤ』に意識を移した
彼女は、碑文通りに冒険を続け、
最後に夕暮れ竜と出会い、
永遠に完結していた世界に
『誕生』をもたらした。

君が『fragment』で聞いたという
少女の声は、かつてあそこを訪れた
ララ・ヒューイックの残留思念だった
のかも知れない。
EDIT EDIT: The shocking words of the Twilight Dragon to the party were that  saving the world as it was foretold to do didn't mean saving them. Since they came into existence long ago, the sprites had been divided into Lios (Light) and Dakk (Dark), constantly fighting and never seeking compromise or trying to change themselves until the Cursed Wave  appeared. Even the same races and groups fought amongst themselves, and the Twilight Dragon had grown tired of such a world. Unsatisfied with their progress, this left the Twilight Dragon with no  choice but to remake the world from nothing and  try over, as that is the only way to end conflict in the world. It had done  this many times before, and had this conversation with them many times before. Resetting the world and causing the rebirth was the role of the Wave, which the Twilight Dragon  was behind.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

My brain just exploded.
Also before at the end of volume 1 just after Lara ends up missing for the first time he suspect that she might be in the game mutters how the program shouldn't have worked ((which Yata (Twilight Knight) also confirms as the first case of Real Digitalize in .hack//Link.))
Wait, what? Say that again.
My theory would be that the Epitaph is a blueprint for the Immortal Dusk, which isn't the worst retcon honestly since it kinda fits.
Ok. That just sounds bonkers. How could the Epitaph be a blueprint for the Immortal Dusk?
It was probably staged as part of a cover identity, judging from everything else about "Emma."
A cover identity? So first, it's possible that her death was faked and now her supernatural experience was also a lie?
Well, apparently just having one Sophia didn't complete the job. It's unsaid, but by running it on as many servers as possible maybe they were hoping that that would lead to Immortal Dusk?
Considering the pro-Aura faction couldn't get their claws on Aura after //Link I guess Sophia would be a best next attempt?
 he shocking words of the Twilight Dragon to the party were that saving the world as it was foretold to do didn't mean saving them. Since they came into existence long ago, the sprites had been divided into Lios (Light) and Dakk (Dark), constantly fighting and never seeking compromise or trying to change themselves until the Cursed Wave appeared. Even the same races and groups fought amongst themselves, and the Twilight Dragon had grown tired of such a world. Unsatisfied with their progress, this left the Twilight Dragon with no choice but to remake the world from nothing and try over, as that is the only way to end conflict in the world. It had done this many times before, and had this conversation with them many times before. Resetting the world and causing the rebirth was the role of the Wave, which the Twilight Dragon was behind.
What!?! It caused it!? Meaning what? It was supposed to be an ultimate lesson to make the sprites of Light and Dark finally get along?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Keyaki wrote:
My theory would be that the Epitaph is a blueprint for the Immortal Dusk, which isn't the worst retcon honestly since it kinda fits.
Ok. That just sounds bonkers. How could the Epitaph be a blueprint for the Immortal Dusk?
A cover identity? So first, it's possible that her death was faked and now her supernatural experience was also a lie?
Read this: http://www.dothackers.net/forums/viewto ... =2&t=18901

Eventually Archives confirmed that she was a MaMa agent all along, although many of the questions this raises haven't been explicitly addressed yet. That said, the Epitaph had to be something, presumably it represented the Immortal Dusk that MaMa desired.
Keyaki wrote:Considering the pro-Aura faction couldn't get their claws on Aura after //Link I guess Sophia would be a best next attempt?
Neither faction ever gave up, and the anti-Aura faction saw it as one possible answer. Eventually Aura regenerated so the pro-Aura faction got very close as well.
Keyaki wrote:What!?! It caused it!? Meaning what? It was supposed to be an ultimate lesson to make the sprites of Light and Dark finally get along?
I never actually read the novel, so while I have it, reading further requires deciphering a little context with the characters (or skipping over that part). I'll try to do that later.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Eventually Archives confirmed that she was a MaMa agent all along, although many of the questions this raises haven't been explicitly addressed yet. That said, the Epitaph had to be something, presumably it represented the Immortal Dusk that MaMa desired.
Right, right I remember. So the "supernatural experience" was really just a cover-up backstory to influence Harald.

And alittle off-topic but .Hack//Legacy was finished? When?
I never actually read the novel, so while I have it, reading further requires deciphering a little context with the characters (or skipping over that part). I'll try to do that later.
I remember years back there was something involving the Epitaph. They finally finished it?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Keyaki wrote:And alittle off-topic but .Hack//Legacy was finished? When?
It was a one shot, it all came out in .hack//Archives_03. I translated it here sporadically until completion: http://www.dothackers.net/forums/viewto ... =2&t=19815
Keyaki wrote:I remember years back there was something involving the Epitaph. They finally finished it?
The story we've been given is that the Epitaph is "unfinished" although there's an outline. It looks like the novel is true to the outline and may even be true to the "unfinished" part but I would need to spend some more time on it before I could say for sure, and I would also like to translate those emails for posterity. It probably won't be until next week since I'm working at a con.