Growing out of Japanime

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Growing out of Japanime

Post by Kaori »

Well, its been years I've been into anime, but these days I just seem to be more focused on getting by school, spending time with family and even improving myself, in fact, I don't even torrent anime anymore, I either just watch on youtube official channels, netflix, or buy on itunes despite the limited selection, I'm also quite very disgusted with how people consider anime "art", and while some anime are thought provoking, I would never consider them art, they are things to pass the time with at the most basic level, seriously people, you give too much praise to 2D characters, I admit I like certain anime but the obsession people take it too far to the point of being pathetic, and this is coming from somebody who lives in a nationful of Otaku, I see people cosplaying at places but they don't make a nuisance of themselves and I know some who lead respectable lives, but do we ever obsess about it and call it art? No we don't, its fun, but we don't let it ruin our lives, after all, I'm pretty sure the irony would not be lost upon us if we did, in short, I'm thinking of giving up the otaku lifestyle, I'll still watch anime and play Japanese games, but I just won't force myself to obsess about Japanese stuff anymore, Japanese Media is more of a preference now, to be honest I have never liked Japanese cuisine, I think Sushi is disgusting, I hate how narrow minded Japanese society is and most of all, I hate how most Japanese media portray guns as either bad or weaker than swords, so I don't think Japan is awesome as much as before.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Re: Growing out of Japanime

Post by Helbaworshipper »

That's natural to happen. I'm very picky with my anime these days too. I give up sometimes when I feel the show just isn't getting to me. I am not a big fan of Japanese culture either. I am not an otaku though, so good luck with getting out of it.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

Helbaworshipper wrote:That's natural to happen. I'm very picky with my anime these days too. I give up sometimes when I feel the show just isn't getting to me.
This right here.
Kaori
Bellator In Machina
Bellator In Machina

Post by Kaori »

Well, my Gunpla collection still borders on obssessive, but I've lost interest in many anime and manga to the point where the genre of manga I read is either comedy or slice of life based, I can't stand all that action anymore, and these new trends of action manga killing people left and right just for shock value, muv-luv traumatized me real badly already, but everybody's attempts to mimic it are poorly executed and just make it look like the author just wants viewer ratings to go up with cheap meaningless deaths.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

For me anime never gets dull is because most anime I watch are related to video games that I play and are anime that I grew up with. To give an example of what I mean these are the recent/current shows I am looking at.

Phantasy Star Online 2 the animation. I Play PSO2 and the anime directly ties in with EP 4 of PSO2.

Pokemon Satoshi/Ash may never win a major region's league but I must say over the years the writing has got better. Ash is getting good Pokemon and is actually evolving them(aside from Pikachu). I think when he reaches the Kalos League this would actually be the first time he has a team of fully evolved Pokemon.

Digimon Adventure Tri(OVA). They are movies that come out months apart. Still Digimon is something that I grew up with and I play many of the games.

Dragon Ball Super. Grew up watching Dragon Ball and am glad Super came out. After decades of no new story aside of small specials I am glad Akira Toriyama decided to write some more Dragon Ball stuff.

Gundam Iron Blood Orphans. Not the best at pacing but I do like the story. Build Fighters brought my interest back in the series.

There are some anime that I do watch that isn't related to a videogame or a series that I grew up with.

As for Japanese culture I like many aspects of it. I know things are far from perfect with Abe(their prime minsters) dumbass economic policies. I know how things are with the soshoku danshi(Herbivore men). Japan's birthrate problem shall be the western worlds problem. Americans shall have a generation of Herbivore men but under a different name. They may not be otaku like the Japanese but they would still be similar. I can't wait for America to have the "herbivore men problem". I am no ally to any country by the way.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

zaseo wrote:For me anime never gets dull is because most anime I watch are related to video games that I play and are anime that I grew up with. To give an example of what I mean these are the recent/current shows I am looking at.

Phantasy Star Online 2 the animation. I Play PSO2 and the anime directly ties in with EP 4 of PSO2.

Pokemon Satoshi/Ash may never win a major region's league but I must say over the years the writing has got better. Ash is getting good Pokemon and is actually evolving them(aside from Pikachu). I think when he reaches the Kalos League this would actually be the first time he has a team of fully evolved Pokemon.
So, How is phantasy Star Online 2 the animation? I've heard mixed things about it, but I really Phantasy star, and usually a lot of times I enjoy these shows people say aren't all that great.

As for pokemon, I enjoyed everything up til ruby/sapphire, and i didn't care for diamond/pearl era and black/white era of episodes, but as for x/y, I'm hooked. It is actually really good.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

zaseo wrote:For me anime never gets dull is because most anime I watch are related to video games that I play and are anime that I grew up with. To give an example of what I mean these are the recent/current shows I am looking at.

So, How is phantasy Star Online 2 the animation? I've heard mixed things about it, but I really Phantasy star, and usually a lot of times I enjoy these shows people say aren't all that great.

As for pokemon, I enjoyed everything up til ruby/sapphire, and i didn't care for diamond/pearl era and black/white era of episodes, but as for x/y, I'm hooked. It is actually really good.

For PSO2 it depends on what you like. To most people the first half(6episodes) are slow. After that you get hit with huge WHAT episodes. To truly understands things people have to play the game and know the concept behind episode 4.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

[quote="zaseo"For PSO2 it depends on what you like. To most people the first half(6episodes) are slow. After that you get hit with huge WHAT episodes. To truly understands things people have to play the game and know the concept behind episode 4.[/quote]

interesting. well, i think its time i watch it.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Avatar_Crim wrote:[quote="zaseo"For PSO2 it depends on what you like. To most people the first half(6episodes) are slow. After that you get hit with huge WHAT episodes. To truly understands things people have to play the game and know the concept behind episode 4.
interesting. well, i think its time i watch it.[/quote]

Who ever wrote the plot of PSO2 Episode 4(the game) may have been on something. The anime series just adds to the what the hell factor.

Beyblade Burst is coming out soon. I grew up watching Beyblade so it is another anime I'll be watching again.

Also I keep an eye on Yugioh at times.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

beyblade is a hit or miss from me, and yugioh i kind of forgot about. Do they release episodes still for the original series or the gx(i think?). Cause i liked those. Now i did start watching pos2 the animation, and so far, i like it. but i have only watched 3 episodes lol.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Avatar_Crim wrote:beyblade is a hit or miss from me, and yugioh i kind of forgot about. Do they release episodes still for the original series or the gx(i think?). Cause i liked those. Now i did start watching pos2 the animation, and so far, i like it. but i have only watched 3 episodes lol.
Yugioh is on a series called Arc V and they also have a movie coming out this year. Yugioh is one of those series that you have to watch in Japanese because they destroy the English dub. Also a lot of episodes/arc get skipped in the English dub. The last season of GX was never shown in English.

Yugioh(original), GX, 5Ds, Zexal, Arc V are main series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWdh-fujOb8

For Beyblade the dub isn't as bad. Somethings are changed but it is mostly just names. The Beyblades that are about to come out now have a new gimmick called Burst. Beyblade Burst is the 3rd series overall after the original seasons and Metal Fight Beyblade.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

zaseo wrote: For Beyblade the dub isn't as bad. Somethings are changed but it is mostly just names. The Beyblades that are about to come out now have a new gimmick called Burst. Beyblade Burst is the 3rd series overall after the original seasons and Metal Fight Beyblade.
oh, its not the dub that i dont like. some of it is just plot and stuff. I still watch them anyways... cause let it rip.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

zaseo wrote: For Beyblade the dub isn't as bad. Somethings are changed but it is mostly just names. The Beyblades that are about to come out now have a new gimmick called Burst. Beyblade Burst is the 3rd series overall after the original seasons and Metal Fight Beyblade.
oh, its not the dub that i dont like. some of it is just plot and stuff. I still watch them anyways... cause let it rip.
I stopped watching after V Force. Even then, I'll only really rematch the first season for Beyblade. The plot for the second season was pretty crazy and strange. Considering they couldn't stick to one enemy force in that.
zaseo

Post by zaseo »

Helbaworshipper wrote:
I stopped watching after V Force. Even then, I'll only really rematch the first season for Beyblade. The plot for the second season was pretty crazy and strange. Considering they couldn't stick to one enemy force in that.
V Force was not the best when it came to plot but the season after it is the best. Beyblade G Revolution went back more to the style of the 1st season but with many improvements.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

i should go check that one out then.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

I think like everyone said, it's natural. Interests change as you grow older. I grew up with anime, but I remember how my interest faded over the years. If elementary and middle school were the peak, then high school was the decline stage, and in university it became an uncommon pastime.

In fact, as you get older you'll find yourself having less and less free time. I realized that there is no way I can watch everything I'm interested in or play every hot game that's coming out. I am very selective with what I watch/play. The only anime I watch are the ones that are very intriguing to me, and if a show isn't doing it for me, I drop it - no time to "give it a chance". Same thing with games, I only buy things I really want, which is like 2-3 games a year, max.

My dvd/blu ray collection is also very tame. I only get the best of the best, and even then, I question myself if it's worth owning. In simple terms, time is a big factor as you get older, you become more selective, and money is also another important thing to consider (a new game for the PS4 is $80 before tax here where I live, that's like $93 after tax, almost $100 for one game!)

Thankfully I'm not an outaku, so I'm perfectly okay with the balance I worked out for myself, it gives me time to focus on more important things and keep anime as a side thing during free time once in a while. Also, and this might be me being bias, but anime was much better in the late 90s and up to mid 2000s. We had a lot of really good shows that are all classics, but nowadays 99% of what comes out is just garbage, very shallow and is extremely boring. Of course many people lose interest.