Is .hack//SIGN on blu ray possible?

Discuss the anime series that started it all, .hack//SIGN and //LIMINALITY

Moderator: Moderators

Vallen

Is .hack//SIGN on blu ray possible?

Post by Vallen »

I recently picked up the Funimation re-release of .hack//SIGN, and as good as it is, I can't quite help but to wish for a blu ray remaster. I heard people say that a blu ray is not possible due to licensing issues and was wondering if someone could clarify that? I would assume that Funimation can't simply slap the show on blu ray or do any remastering without the permission of the original licensor.

And on a similar note, what are the chances of //Liminality ever being bundled with the .hack//SIGN set? I mean, they're roughly related and make sense to be watched together. Is there another legal issue that prevents the OVA's from being released outside of the original games IMOQ?
SSJScygoku

Re: Is .hack//SIGN on blu ray possible?

Post by SSJScygoku »

Japan wouldn't allow for a Blu-ray release before they did one which I doubt they would after all this time. @.@

The UK boxsets (Beez) have .hack//Liminality included in them,I don't believe any of the US ones do.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

SSJScygoku wrote:Japan wouldn't allow for a Blu-ray release before they did one which I doubt they would after all this time. @.@

The UK boxsets (Beez) have .hack//Liminality included in them,I don't believe any of the US ones do.
Oh, so it's true that Japan needs to have made the BD before other companies can manufacture them as well. Sigh...that is kinda discouraging. Although some older shows do get the HD treatment (Gundam Seed 2002, FMA 2003, Eureka Seven 2005). SIGN is from 2003, so I have hope...slight hope :(
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

SSJScygoku wrote:Japan wouldn't allow for a Blu-ray release before they did one which I doubt they would after all this time. @.@

The UK released Liminality with .hack//SIGN? That's actually rather neat, lest they be lost, granted without the games I wonder if they can work stand alone.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Vallen wrote: Oh, so it's true that Japan needs to have made the BD before other companies can manufacture them as well. Sigh...that is kinda discouraging. Although some older shows do get the HD treatment (Gundam Seed 2002, FMA 2003, Eureka Seven 2005). SIGN is from 2003, so I have hope...slight hope :(
Always a possibility,but who knows if or when it will happen ^^'
Xu Yuan wrote: The UK released Liminality with .hack//SIGN? That's actually rather neat, lest they be lost, granted without the games I wonder if they can work stand alone.
Yup yup, not exactly sure why they released them with .hack///SIGN as they are bundled with the games. People would watch them and wonder what the heck is going on,maybe a ploy to get viewers to obtain the games? xD
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Vallen wrote:I recently picked up the Funimation re-release of .hack//SIGN, and as good as it is, I can't quite help but to wish for a blu ray remaster. I heard people say that a blu ray is not possible due to licensing issues and was wondering if someone could clarify that? I would assume that Funimation can't simply slap the show on blu ray or do any remastering without the permission of the original licensor.

And on a similar note, what are the chances of //Liminality ever being bundled with the .hack//SIGN set? I mean, they're roughly related and make sense to be watched together. Is there another legal issue that prevents the OVA's from being released outside of the original games IMOQ?
I personally don't see any difference between Blu-Ray and DVD. The quality is apparently so minute I can't see it. Is there really a benefit to watching it 'remastered'?

As for Liminality, the problem is that I don't see it have a purpose outside of the games for coming out. Unless Japan wants to do a separate set.
Falions

Post by Falions »

Helbaworshipper wrote:
Vallen wrote:I recently picked up the Funimation re-release of .hack//SIGN, and as good as it is, I can't quite help but to wish for a blu ray remaster. I heard people say that a blu ray is not possible due to licensing issues and was wondering if someone could clarify that? I would assume that Funimation can't simply slap the show on blu ray or do any remastering without the permission of the original licensor.

I personally don't see any difference between Blu-Ray and DVD. The quality is apparently so minute I can't see it. Is there really a benefit to watching it 'remastered'?

As for Liminality, the problem is that I don't see it have a purpose outside of the games for coming out. Unless Japan wants to do a separate set.
It is definitely a lot clearer. If you were to compare my older SIGN boxset's quality to a hypothetical blu-ray, the difference would be clear as day. Even the resolution is better.

In modern times, however, some bluray releases of anime will edit in-between shots to make the show itself look better, now that they have the time to.
For older animes, it just makes the colours crisper and the lines cleaner and clearer. Another great example would be Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise. Its original DVD release has an abysmal grainy quality, sound included. The blu-ray release has a crystal clear image and sound.
Simply because this is all I could find, here is a comparison of the Cowboy Bebop DVD to blu-ray.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Helbaworshipper wrote:I personally don't see any difference between Blu-Ray and DVD. The quality is apparently so minute I can't see it. Is there really a benefit to watching it 'remastered'?

Oh there definitely is a difference, it's sharper and much more clear (especially visible with older shows). I actually upgraded every single dvd I had to a blu ray, with the exception of .hack//SIGN and a few others that are simply not available on blu ray. Plus my house has a 65" 4K TV, so DVDs are blurry, stretched, and overall non enjoyable on it.

And as it was mentioned in the post above, here is how certain scenes get touched up or redone for the blu ray release:
Original:
New:
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Falions wrote:
Helbaworshipper wrote:

It is definitely a lot clearer. If you were to compare my older SIGN boxset's quality to a hypothetical blu-ray, the difference would be clear as day. Even the resolution is better.

In modern times, however, some bluray releases of anime will edit in-between shots to make the show itself look better, now that they have the time to.
For older animes, it just makes the colours crisper and the lines cleaner and clearer. Another great example would be Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise. Its original DVD release has an abysmal grainy quality, sound included. The blu-ray release has a crystal clear image and sound.
Simply because this is all I could find, here is a comparison of the Cowboy Bebop DVD to blu-ray.
The only difference I see is that you can see Spike's hair a different color shade? The gundam one isn't different at all...

Post by Avatar_Crim »

I see the difference. I actually never noticed that there really was a difference.
Falions

Post by Falions »

Helbaworshipper wrote:
Falions wrote:
Helbaworshipper wrote:

The only difference I see is that you can see Spike's hair a different color shade? The gundam one isn't different at all...
I can understand the Bebop one, but how do you not see a difference at all in the Gundam one? The Gundams are clearly cleaner and tidied up, like the shot looks like it's from another show entirely...

Post by Avatar_Crim »

i see a huge difference with the gundam one. i noticed that one instantly.