Overlord

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

SSJScygoku

Overlord

Post by SSJScygoku »

A similar concept to Log Horizon, this takes place in the Dive MMORPG Yggdrasil which is going to close down. Momonga (our protagonist) has decided to watch the end of the game that he and his guild have spent so much time on except when the clock reaches 00.00 the game doesn't end. Something is amiss as he can't bring out his display screen and the NPC's (that only follow player commands) have gained sentience. Now what is he going to do in a world where he is by himself.

There is afew light novels released and about 7 manga chapters so far, though I'll stay off them until the corrosponding episode so I don't spoil anything. The series makes me think it will be a combination of Log Horizon and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha from the looks of it, but need to see what happens in this weeks episode to be sure of that.
Falions

Re: Overlord

Post by Falions »

Honestly, no MMO-related anime has captured me anywhere near as much as .hack, mainly because nowadays they're filled with so many moe tropes and harems that I just can't stand it. SIGN was devoid of that.

I gave SAO a try when it was first coming out, and immediately knew it was going to be trash and dropped it. 2 years ago I watched it all the way through just so I could totally annihilate people when they tried to argue it was better than .hack, or defend it in the slightest... just thinking about it makes my blood boil. The worst is that it's reached such a level of popularity .hack never had that it's sorta upsetting...

I also watched Log Horizon as it was airing, and while it did have some boring anime tropes, I forgot to keep up after five or so episodes. Though it did seem to have a more focused plot without need for fanservice, so maybe I'll give it another go.

I'll maybe give this a shot too, but, like I said, nothing will ever give me that magic like .hack does. At the very least there's so much of it that I still haven't read/watched (I am literally just tonight getting around to watching Liminality despite reading a summary when I was very young) that I'll still have lots for a while.

/rant
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

@.@ Not many series nowaday are devoid of moe/harems, heck even Kite and Haseo had plenty of girls (+guy) after them not to mention the whole affection gauge/marrage event.

:P I'll defend SAO, may not measure up to .hack but its a different perspective of a similar setting using more modern MMO elements and tastes (action/moe/harem). But atleast you watched the series completely (well technically there is more out), many don't even watch it and judge the series for having similar aspects as .hack//. Perhaps its popularity surpassed because of the limited access (due to price/availiability) to the game series which contained so much story, not to mention SAO having more action (so got all those ".hack is boring" viewers),uptodate MMO fighting and plenty of females. Compared to .hack// which spans so much media SAO would be far easier to get into back then as only the anime and possibly some of the manga/light novels would have been scanlated.

Yeah Log Horizon doesn't have much in the way of fan service especially compared to SAO, I prefer how the series takes yet a different perspective to focus on world building and strategy. Plus the opening is catchy :)

You should,there aren't much in the way of episodes right now with 3 out so far. :O how could a .hack enthusiast such as yourself not have seen Liminality, did you only get (or collected all 4) the game series recently.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

I tried a few episodes, but the problem is that Overlord feels less like an MMO and more of a fantasy anime series. With the exception of the one player who is now stuck as a skeletal leader, there isn't much to see as a game in it. It isn't boring, but it doesn't really draw my interest.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Its only just begun, although I see where you are coming from as compared to SAO/Log Horizon Momonga can't e.g. display an information screen. It seems like this is a real world rather than inside of a game and i'm unsure of which gaming aspects cross over besides from skills,stats,guild,items but that will be fun to find out.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Incase you haven't heard a compilation movie was announced,which should be similar to Berserk in the fact that some aspects that weren't in the previous anime I'd imagine will be put in back in i.e. Puck wasn't really in the original but appears in season 2. If you have read the LN of Overlord then you know who is missing among other parts that were either trimmed or excluded,afew make an appearance in the manga adaption but not all of them.

:D Volume 2 of the novel and manga are officially out in english~
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

There's an irony to this sort of reply now... I've actually gotten a bit more of a liking to Overlord with all the online game anime coming out. I've read volumes one and two and actually seen the first season.

It is entertaining and honestly... the whole hamster thing was pretty hilarious without warning.

It may not be as good as the ones I liked before, but it's very entertaining and I'll be keeping up with it light novel wise.

Though, are you sure it might be getting a second season or a film? I haven't seen anything in the charts on plans for it.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

Helbaworshipper wrote: Though, are you sure it might be getting a second season or a film? I haven't seen anything in the charts on plans for it.
:D Glad to hear you are enjoying the series more and have read both LN,though they have a while to go before they catch up with LN 11 which was recently released (and translated).

xD It was not what I expected to appear in the Forest lol

ANN announced it not too long ago (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ks/.107031) and in the Afterword section in LN 11 the author mentions it away. I'm pretty sure they'll be a season 2 seeing they are doing the movie which would appear them to include what was missed, you'll see what I mean in the next LN release.

The manga adaption does contain some aspects missed in anime aswell, not sure if they'll make it into this movie or not.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

More information was released at a collaboration event, there will be two movies which will include new footage and I believe new artwork.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ic/.109158
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

ab3787

Post by ab3787 »

Best anime ever! online gambling
petroben

Post by petroben »

It sounds like you're describing the anime "Overlord." The premise of players getting trapped in a Dive MMORPG and the unexpected events within the game world are indeed reminiscent of Log Horizon, but Overlord takes a darker and more action-oriented approach. It's intriguing to see how Momonga navigates this new reality where NPCs gain sentience. Enjoy the series, and the mix of Log Horizon and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha elements sounds promising! For more info i'd suggest you to visit [Wealthymagazines][/https://www.wealthymagazines.com/]