the "I dislike this/these particular anime" thread

Discuss new anime, old anime, upcoming anime series, fansubbed anime, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Re: the "I dislike this/these particular anime" thread

Post by Helbaworshipper »

Erranty wrote: Magical Girl anime are universally bad.
Does that include Madoka Magica? Because that's supposed to somehow, technically be a magical girl show.
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

Helbaworshipper wrote:
Does that include Madoka Magica? Because that's supposed to somehow, technically be a magical girl show.
Technically it's a  deconstruction
nuhkuhl
Location: In a box with a lock sitting next to a fox sick with pox wearing socks.

Post by nuhkuhl »

I've never been fond of 'slice of life' anime which is strange because I don't particularly mind the genre when it comes to manga..?

I get kind of ranty here so apologies beforehand.

+In regards to Sailor Moon- on one hand, there's some genuinely interesting scenes in the anime and at times it can be strikingly philosophical in nature...on the other hand, about 80% of the episodes are complete and utter filler...and not interesting filler in the least... The animation quality is really poor most of the time too.
+I HATED the Toward the Terra anime TV series. The movie from the 80's was awesome but the 2007 adaption was complete trash for me. The animation, the pacing, the boring voice acting, all of it.
+I recall Black Magic M-66 being one of the worst OVAs I have ever been forced to sit through.
+Tales From Earthsea was very disappointing script-wise but it did have nice animation going for it.
+Virus Buster Serge also had some nice animation but everything else was...painful. Both the Japanese and English vocal tracks made me want to scratch my ears off.
+I have always disapproved of Bleach for the possibly shallow reason of thinking the art style is incredibly ugly.
+I couldn't get through two full episodes of the (somewhat) recent Tenchi Muyo series...but now that I think about it, I've never been a fan of Tenchi Muyo outside of Tenchi Universe.
+Like Sailor Moon, I have a deep love/hate thing going on for Inuyasha...I love Japanese mythology, particularly involving demons/monsters, and I also enjoy historical/time pieces... but between the sheer amount of filler episodes, the painfully forced relationship between Kagome and Inuyasha, VERY slow character development, and certain animation sequences that get repeated only about a thousand times...yeah. The music is often REALLY beautiful though.
+Ultimately, I enjoyed Princess TuTu but even though it's only a couple of episodes long, it felt very slow. I enjoyed the story and characters but the pacing and at times the animation itself were nothing to write home about.
+The Devil May Cry anime would have been significantly better had it just entailed Dante beating the crap out of demons, as he does in the game series. The mood of the OVA series was all over the place and Dante, Trish, and Lady seemed to jump out of character at times but maybe that was just me. I'm still waiting for a true adaption of the first DMC game so maybe I was just bitter when watching the show. The American-produced comic that was made for it years ago was great but it got canceled before a conclusion was met.
Erranty
The Widower
The Widower

Post by Erranty »

Helbaworshipper wrote:
That show was pretty good at times, it has magical girls in it but it's more like horror story where you sell your soul for power. I liked most of it, but the last episode completely ruined it for me.

A brief breakdown of it's differences from the typical Magical Girl show.
1. There are still transformation sequences, but they're often skipped. Where classic MG shows base it almost entirely around that because of the stripping.
2. There's no "Magic Words" like how sailor moon had to chant her power's name all the time. These kids use swords, guns, spears, etc.
3. They're not part of some team. In fact they're basically competing with eachother.
4. There's no real villain that "always gets away after their minions get beat up."
5. It doesn't end with a "And the moral of the story is..." moment in every episode.
Last edited by Erranty on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
shugo_lover
The Oath Keeper
The Oath Keeper

Post by shugo_lover »

Hetalia. Omg, I freaking hate Axis Power Hetalia!
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

nobodyknows wrote:
Helbaworshipper wrote:
...It's not a deconstruction based on the way it is made. However, since my argument would be moot apparently... (I have actually studied deconstructionist theory in college.) Either way, it's not really magical girl and it's not really deconstruction. That's all I can really back up. I can't stand to watch the series more than the one time I did manage to finish it.
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

Helbaworshipper wrote:
nobodyknows wrote:
Helbaworshipper wrote:
...It's not a deconstruction based on the way it is made. However, since my argument would be moot apparently... (I have actually studied deconstructionist theory in college.) Either way, it's not really magical girl and it's not really deconstruction. That's all I can really back up. I can't stand to watch the series more than the one time I did manage to finish it.
 I think my troll post worked.
lycorispeony

Post by lycorispeony »

Hmm..has anyone heard of the anime: Conte of Monte Cristo? i stopped watching it after 10 seconds XD

I will also throw in this: Gundam Seed Destiny. That is all =p

Regarding Tales of Earthsea, I think the movie had potential, had the movie director stuck to the original's author's intentions.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

nobodyknows wrote:
Helbaworshipper wrote:
nobodyknows wrote:
Helbaworshipper wrote:
 You assume I'm still angry about Madoka Magica.
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

Helbaworshipper wrote:
nobodyknows wrote:
Helbaworshipper wrote:
nobodyknows wrote:
 You assume I'm still angry about Madoka Magica.
To be fair I've never even watched it. I just threw out a spoiler'd buzzword to see what would happen.
 someone took the bait
Guilty Grunty

Post by Guilty Grunty »

DBZ. Evil super strong villain appears, people die. people get revived by Dragon balls. goku comes in badass, if he dies, he comes back with more
Dragon balls. <--- this repeated is the summary of DBZ.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

TheSorrow wrote:
nobodyknows wrote:It's like I'm really on /a/
I once said that this forum was like 4chan, because of the way people act, the things they talk about, and the overall way everyone is towards each other or certain members. NO ONE believed me D:
Of course, this was also back when AuraTwilight and S1lent0p were active members. Things are quite different now, but still.
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Uh, what do you mean were active members?

Falions

Post by Falions »

What a surprising turn of events.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

I totes never saw this coming.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

First of all,

Bleach is a great show
Naruto part 1 is a great show
D.Gray-Man is a fantastic show (and we're getting a continuation this year~)
Pokemon is a revolutionary show
The original Beyblade has a fantastic story
And Gurren Lagann is art in and of itself

As for actual bad shows that people should not watch:

-Akira (mainly it doesn't live up to they hype people have for it)
-Hellsing TV (just watch Ultimate)
-Future Diary (garbage)
-Tegami Bachi (read the manga, it's fantastic - the anime is poop)
-Kill la Kill (overhyped thanks to Gurren Lagann - K la K isn't a deep show, it's not even too funny, just stupid)
-Blue Dragon (just isn't good)
-Rurouni Kenshin (movies, new anime, and OVAs are garbage - watch the original anime and continue with the manga where it leaves off)
-True Tears (just a stupid show - although might be a good time if you're drunk, then it's comedy gold)

My opinions are my opinions, I'm sorry if your favorite show is on this "bad list" -- but I honestly recommend you don't waste your time with these.
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Vallen wrote:First of all,

Bleach is a great show
Naruto part 1 is a great show
D.Gray-Man is a fantastic show (and we're getting a continuation this year~)
Pokemon is a revolutionary show
The original Beyblade has a fantastic story
And Gurren Lagann is art in and of itself

As for actual bad shows that people should not watch:

-Akira (mainly it doesn't live up to they hype people have for it)
-Hellsing TV (just watch Ultimate)
-Future Diary (garbage)
-Tegami Bachi (read the manga, it's fantastic - the anime is poop)
-Kill la Kill (overhyped thanks to Gurren Lagann - K la K isn't a deep show, it's not even too funny, just stupid)
-Blue Dragon (just isn't good)
-Rurouni Kenshin (movies, new anime, and OVAs are garbage - watch the original anime and continue with the manga where it leaves off)
-True Tears (just a stupid show - although might be a good time if you're drunk, then it's comedy gold)

My opinions are my opinions, I'm sorry if your favorite show is on this "bad list" -- but I honestly recommend you don't waste your time with these.
What do you consider Part 1 of Naruto?

As for The OVAs of Rurouni Kenshin... They were made when the manga and anime caught up and the show suffered from filler arcs that caused it to end. It's by no mean cannon for the manga, but they are entertaining.

As for Hellsing TV.... I hear that there are good aspects to it. I don't even need to watch Ultimate, since I basically read all the manga and bought my own set of them.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Helbaworshipper wrote: What do you consider Part 1 of Naruto?
I consider episode 1 - 140 (ish) after Sasuke leaves as the first part. The other 80 episodes are filler and could be skipped. However, those filler episodes really developed the genin twelve - everybody got character development. So in a way, I would even say all of part one is good. Shippuden onwards is when the anime became bad. I hear it's still in fillers for a 2nd year straight even after the manga finished lol.
Helbaworshipper wrote: As for The OVAs of Rurouni Kenshin... They were made when the manga and anime caught up and the show suffered from filler arcs that caused it to end. It's by no mean cannon for the manga, but they are entertaining.
I am one of those people that are fine with filler endings. For example, I consider FMA 2003 far superior to Brotherhood despite being a a filler story in the second half of the show. Rurouni Kenshin OVAs failed at that. The regular anime stops after about a season of filler, which is fine.

The OVAs however, were not necessary. There are many problems with them:

-The change in art style was horrible
-The change in voice actors killed the mood (at least for the English version)
-The story was a filthy mess
-Character development sucked:
-----Kaoru got reduced to a weak woman dependent on her man who treated her like filth.
-----Kaoru has fallen in my eyes when she still begs for Kenshin after the way he treats her, disgusting.
-----Kenshin's relationship with that whore (although being partly canon) was really sickening.
-----Kenshin became a pathetic hobo who left his wife and kid. I was cheering for that "younger brother" when he was beating Kenshin up.
-----Kenshin had a pathetic death, I think it was Leprosy? A pathetic way to end such a character.
-----And overall the story was a rushed mess - it degraded the well established characters.

Thankfully you can watch the regular anime, and then jump straight into the manga to get a proper conclusion.

Post by Avatar_Crim »

i think the only anime i just could not stand, thanks to filler, is bleach. its not that i don't like it, i just don't like its filler.. although it doesnt make sense cause i like the naruto(not filler) and still watch it lol.

Oh I also super dislike the Air Gear anime(even though its one of my favorite anime) only because it had 1 season and abruptly ended. It was soo good too.
Vallen

Post by Vallen »

Avatar_Crim wrote:i think the only anime i just could not stand, thanks to filler, is bleach. its not that i don't like it, i just don't like its filler.. although it doesnt make sense cause i like the naruto(not filler) and still watch it lol.

Oh I also super dislike the Air Gear anime(even though its one of my favorite anime) only because it had 1 season and abruptly ended. It was soo good too.
Bleach filler is better than naruto filler though :P