Versus: 6 months later

Lindz

Versus: 6 months later

Post by Lindz »

June 28th was 6 months ago! My how time flies! To people that have played it: how do ya feel about it now that the hype & "freshness" are gone?

Perception
Seems like lotsa people see this as just a bonus game. I'd strongly disagree with that but what can ya do given how they decided to market/sell the title.

Player Base
Judging from the leaderboards about 4,300 have connected to Online VS but prolly half or more haven't played a ranked match. In my experience it seems like there's usually at least 1 person around ta battle with. Or more appropriately - just mess around! Players are often up for at least a second match an more often than not they'll use a different character. Could it be that having only 8 characters has led to more variety an people just playing for fun?

Updates
None. If its not broken there's no need for fixes! Still would be nice to get a patch which allows ya to view alt colors in the model viewer (and every variety of Chim Chim, and doppelgangers, and stages!)~

DLC
None as expected!

Sales Data
Media Create
Week 1: 10th place, 16,664 copies sold.
Week 2: lower than 20th place, less than 3,081 copies sold.

Famitsu
Week 1: 09th place, 17,446 copies sold.
Week 2: 35th place, less than 5,714 copies sold.

This is obviously really low an coulda been a case of a marketing failure! Outta the whole series only frägment sold fewer copies. Now each .hack game has gotten a "The Best" re-release (outside of frägment) so the question is will Versus get one? Given how they decided to sell it prolly not.

International Release
Shot down because they "can't seperate the game and the movie" >_>
Bullet Biter

Re: Versus: 6 months later

Post by Bullet Biter »

I only got my copy a few weeks ago and it's very addicting, but I can play fighter games until the end of time.

I'm disappointed that it didn't sell to well though considering it pretty much was just an extra to the movie it's understandable. Plus when people think .hack they really expect an rpg not a fighter so that probably turned some folks off.
Now I'm even more disappointed that it won't get localized even though I had no hopes of it ever happening I at least wanted the movie to come out state side because as a stand alone title it's a fantastic film.

I do like how it's reignited the fandom though! So even though it might not be a success it certainly did bring .hack back into the minds of fans!
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

If we think about it the numbers are decent for a movie/game, not a lot of niche, lesser known, games hit these sales numbers that in the US. The fact that it was 9-10th in the first week means it was quite popular. The movie itself is more likely to get released outside of Japan at some point in the near future because Quantum, Trilogy and every video based entry in the series have been released. The game is less likely since it is an add on, but that doesn't mean it won't be released.

The movie obviously cost more to produce by comparison to Quantum and Trilogy which means they are most likely going to want to maximize their profits therefore they will release it outside of Japan. Acquiring the rights to publish it outside of Japan and localization take time so who ever is picking it up, most likely Funimation, will take some time to get it localized. If they are releasing the game as well it will take even longer.

Have patience. Just because you haven't heard anything about Versus or the movie doesn't mean it isn't going to be localized, especially just 6 months after it was released in Japan. Give it at least a full year before you start declaring its localization dead.
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

Bullet Biter wrote:I'm disappointed that it didn't sell to well though considering it pretty much was just an extra to the movie it's understandable.
Sadivinedevil wrote:The game is less likely since it is an add on, but that doesn't mean it won't be released.
>.<
Bullet Biter wrote:I do like how it's reignited the fandom though! So even though it might not be a success it certainly did bring .hack back into the minds of fans!
Ya there's nothing like a new game ta get the fans going again. New books, anime, etc are well an good but its really the games that bring everyone together again!
Sadivinedevil wrote:Just because you haven't heard anything about Versus or the movie doesn't mean it isn't going to be localized, especially just 6 months after it was released in Japan.
But we have heard things about them both... bad things -.-;

see: http://gematsu.com/2012/10/interview-cy ... -adventure
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

If there is something to be somewhat interested in it is that the movie might be translated into German according to Anime News Network. ANN is the only site that has this information, and this is in no way a confirmation for a German release of the movie. Animaze is the company that localized Quantum and some of the other titles in the series into German, their actual site doesn't say anything about this though.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... p?id=13373

The information from Gematsu is a couple of months old, but it is relevant right now. Don't be discouraged though things change pretty quick over time. Guilty Dragon as well as Night Runner, another Smartphone game, will be localized because they don't have to deal with logistics too much, but the movie and versus will have to jump over that hurdle as well as the cost of localization. I'm sure there is enough support for them both to be localized though.