Plot of everything on the disc [SPOILERS]

(Phantom) Thief

Re: Plot so far

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

Actually rippon is more of an art book with jokes than anything erotic. If i remember even the official .hack link art book shows an image of Midori with more than what rippon has. Still Kazetrigger if you want to translate the stories i can scan some after we move the conversation.

@Kuukai - Congratulations. What type of bonuses do the items give?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Yeah, just watch the replays you have more than 300 comments for. There's a little icon next to the ones with unclaimed items. It's how you get weapons too. At first I tried a Chim Crown which autoblocks, but autoblock isn't as useful as in G.U. so I went with umm, I think it was Warrior's Blood, which was x1.5 damage. At that point Ovan was on my level. Not sure if there's one for combos, but some items' only purpose is to reduce mission requirements. One for combos would be nice.
Kazetrigger

Post by Kazetrigger »

(Phantom) Thief wrote:Actually rippon is more of an art book with jokes than anything erotic. If i remember even the official .hack link art book shows an image of Midori with more than what rippon has. Still Kazetrigger if you want to translate the stories i can scan some after we move the conversation.

@Kuukai - Congratulations. What type of bonuses do the items give?
I'm fairly busy as of late, but if they're not long, I may translate the stories,
Tsukaseo

Post by Tsukaseo »

Kuukai wrote:Yeah, just watch the replays you have more than 300 comments for. There's a little icon next to the ones with unclaimed items. It's how you get weapons too. At first I tried a Chim Crown which autoblocks, but autoblock isn't as useful as in G.U. so I went with umm, I think it was Warrior's Blood, which was x1.5 damage. At that point Ovan was on my level. Not sure if there's one for combos, but some items' only purpose is to reduce mission requirements. One for combos would be nice.
So... I totally missed where the game explained support items. I went through the whole game with just 1! o.o I see why it was so hard now.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I didn't even have one. So "support items" wasn't even a menu option.

Warning: spoilers follow. But that's the case for this whole thread so I might as well mark it there.

Anyway, I watched the movie, and in terms of the overall plot of .hack it's very simple and mostly things we knew entirely from the books that came with Link. To promote the adoption of Sophia Security (a mass-produced version of Aura), Altimit secretly made an evolving virus powerful enough to get people to keep upgrading. Unfortunately it evolves too far, and in the movie it even absorbs Sophia. The World and the Internet are overrun with Virus Bugs, but a ghost of Aura gave Sora a "seed" of her data. According to David, Sora's synapse patterns are an exact match for Aura's data, which allows the seed to "grow" within her, eventually rebuilding Aura back from her destroyed, post-Link state, into a form that can actually solve the crisis. CC Corp now keeps the black box data in a giant statue of Aura in the center of Alba's lake. Once Sora finally enters the black box, followed by the virus, she ends up in "Aura's Garden" and sees a very young version of Aura (this seems to be what the brainwashing virus left behind--we saw her inside Aura's mind in .hack//Link too) wandering around watering and generally not being concerned about Sora or anything else. Sora finally manages to get her attention, telling her she wants to stay connected to everyone, Aura takes the seed, grows into an adult, and rewrites the virus.

Now, Thanatos Report. I need to rewatch this like seven times. Somehow the NAB manages to retrieve the "Origin" (Aura) from The World, presumably in order to keep it safe from Mama. David picks this up for Reiko, who then meets with Fluegel, playing dumb about Mama even though he wants to help. He talks a lot about nothing, which is what Fluegel does, and she seems to doubt his abilities, which imo is a huge mistake, he's Fluegel for crying out loud. Then he gives her a 13th Bansyoya file, but I don't think they ever explain what it is. David brings the Origin back to America, where Mama's agents immediately begin to close in. David decides to strike at the heart of the beast, and with a badassery worthy of, like, a real-life version of Haseo, he singlehandedly takes out all the guards in Mama's stronghold, and then shocks their leader into dying by pretending to destroy Aura. Oddly enough, she says that they're the ones who named Aura. Unfortunately, Eleanor, his partner for all these years, was really part of a breakaway faction of Mama and now she wants the Origin. He escapes by detonating a grenade in his own face. She chases him for a year, eventually cornering him in Yosemite. He takes her out by being awesome again, but there were even more agents and he's getting ready to die so he removes the origin from his eye, puts it in his finger, and throws it into the river.

But there's no rewind button on this thing, and I want to hammer out a little more of what just happened. I'm pretty confused. Tanaka from the movie is in America (I thought maybe he said it was in a dream but I want to rewatch), he finds the Origin, the Doubleware crest glows in his eyes, and then there's a quote from Nietzsche.

And that's it. Dothack over.

I hope there's more, that's the worst conclusion since the Sopranos.

Come to think of it, the movie didn't even resolve the love triangle with Tanaka. This guy is nothing but loose ends. A Doubleware can be comatose too? I wish he was playable in Versus so I could beat him up...

Matsuyama said 2025 is the end of the .hack timeline. That leaves literally four days for Tanaka to have some sort of crazy adventure where everything gets resolved.

But they haven't thrown an "it's over" party yet, so maybe we're safe.

Doing more research apparently sealing Aura into a chip happens in the director's cut ending of the movie? That's cool that it connects to the OVA like that. I need to figure out what disc that's on or what...

Also, is it just me or is 9 wearing rubber pants? O.o
Tolby

Re: Plot of everything on the disc [SPOILERS]

Post by Tolby »

If you want a rewind button: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlMxngBPJOI&feature=plcp

Though this was recorded with a shitty old dazzle, so not the best quality.

Far as any copyright concerns, Youtube blocked it in Japan, but should be okay in other countries until/if its licensed.
Kazetrigger

Post by Kazetrigger »

Also, so people pay attention.

.hack//Bullet MAY have clues that tie in with the movie and the ending. The next few chapaters came out and I haven't translaed them yet, but they involve Ryuuji going into The World as Fluegel to investigate Geist and stuff, so maybe clues will appear that help explain past and future events.

So, PLEASE read and discuss .hack//Bullet.
VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

So I skipped the Movie part. I have hope in some organization I can't mention here :9
Kuukai wrote: Now, Thanatos Report. I need to rewatch this like seven times. Somehow the NAB manages to retrieve the "Origin" (Aura) from The World, presumably in order to keep it safe from Mama. David picks this up for Reiko, who then meets with Fluegel, playing dumb about Mama even though he wants to help. He talks a lot about nothing, which is what Fluegel does, and she seems to doubt his abilities, which imo is a huge mistake, he's Fluegel for crying out loud. Then he gives her a 13th Bansyoya file, but I don't think they ever explain what it is. David brings the Origin back to America, where Mama's agents immediately begin to close in. David decides to strike at the heart of the beast, and with a badassery worthy of, like, a real-life version of Haseo, he singlehandedly takes out all the guards in Mama's stronghold, and then shocks their leader into dying by pretending to destroy Aura. Oddly enough, she says that they're the ones who named Aura. Unfortunately, Eleanor, his partner for all these years, was really part of a breakaway faction of Mama and now she wants the Origin. He escapes by detonating a grenade in his own face. She chases him for a year, eventually cornering him in Yosemite. He takes her out by being awesome again, but there were even more agents and he's getting ready to die so he removes the origin from his eye, puts it in his finger, and throws it into the river.

But there's no rewind button on this thing, and I want to hammer out a little more of what just happened. I'm pretty confused. Tanaka from the movie is in America (I thought maybe he said it was in a dream but I want to rewatch), he finds the Origin, the Doubleware crest glows in his eyes, and then there's a quote from Nietzsche.
He's a doubleware too?? O.o
Kuukai wrote:Matsuyama said 2025 is the end of the .hack timeline. That leaves literally four days for Tanaka to have some sort of crazy adventure where everything gets resolved.

But they haven't thrown an "it's over" party yet, so maybe we're safe.

Doing more research apparently sealing Aura into a chip happens in the director's cut ending of the movie? That's cool that it connects to the OVA like that. I need to figure out what disc that's on or what...
4 days is enough. Even more of using lots of flash back method :D
Kuukai wrote:Also, is it just me or is 9 wearing rubber pants? O.o
I'm sure it just your imagination ^^;
or some weird light effect XD

Kazetrigger wrote:Also, so people pay attention.

.hack//Bullet MAY have clues that tie in with the movie and the ending. The next few chapaters came out and I haven't translaed them yet, but they involve Ryuuji going into The World as Fluegel to investigate Geist and stuff, so maybe clues will appear that help explain past and future events.

So, PLEASE read and discuss .hack//Bullet.
I do read it, I want to discuss it, but I'm affraid it will be spam (cause most of my post contains question than answer) ^^;

And by the end of August, they will release chapter which title caught my interest XD
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

So I rewatched and I heard correctly, Tanaka's having a recurring dream, he doesn't know when it started. He recently discovered online that it looks exactly like a lake in a national park in America. He feels as if something is drawing him there. And then, possibly for the first time, he finds the finger.

It's weird because I read like 4 Japanese blog summaries and they all left out that it's a dream, which is like the biggest wtf of all!

Anyway, that means he has 4 days to jet to America, retrieve Aura, and have an adventure. Let's save AIKA too, for the heck of it.

It's possible that his recurring dream is like Tokio's, brought on from Aura saving his brain in the movie (the comas were explained as the virus evolving so much it can even enter human brains), and Aura's trying to get him to save her. So weird...

The "director's ending" to the movie is just like 2-3 seconds of footage that come after the scene where it shows Aura at the very end after the credits. I was wondering why they were randomly showing her. The uncut scene zooms out and it becomes apparent that she's now locked in some sort of digital cage surrounding the garden.

I guess they took it out since it's such a depressing note to end on. But as a .hack fan it's what I'd expect...
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Dammit. I was hoping that was a deleted scene before aura was saved or an alternate ending they didn't go with. Now I'm sad again. And the normal ending made me so happy too..
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Well apparently the common interpretation among Japanese fans is that Tanaka had the dreams, but in this scene he is actually visiting the place he was dreaming about? It's kind of hard to tell, he doesn't specifically say that, but I hope that's it since it makes at least a little more sense.

It's okay, Tanaka finds her! Everything's downhill from here, right?

And now I watched After 2021 and it's interesting how they had a cameo of young Aura and her garden.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

How do you watch replays in story mode? Doesnt seem to give me the option when Im done fighting.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Go to the Versus The World title screen, Versus Rankers, and hit square I think.
Tsukaseo

Post by Tsukaseo »

Tolby wrote:How do you watch replays in story mode? Doesnt seem to give me the option when Im done fighting.
Go to "Versus rankings", select yourself, and press square.
ataraxia

Post by ataraxia »

Oh, that's interesting. I watched Thanatos Report on Nicovideo but the sound quality was horrid and I couldn't really make out what anyone was saying.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

More thoughts:
-It's convenient Tanaka is a Doubleware, since using one to bypass her defenses is the only way anyone's ever actually been able to control Aura. Although it's possible the cage itself (the "special chip" she's on) might be some sort of way of controlling her.
-Real digitalization was working pretty well in Versus... why do they even need Aura?

EDIT: Wow, watched the pilots. Sora Yuuki's name was originally Yuuki Aoi (azure), and her love interest was named Yasuhiko. Way more blatant, feels more like a retelling than an installment. The love theme is bigger and the themes of courage and "access" are more apparent. Also it seems like they chose a town with waterways to symbolize the way technology just surrounds people and is part of life.

For the second pilot, what's up with them going all this awesome animation they never used? David's original voiceactor sucks at English, and English is all he speaks, even to Japanese schoolgirls. Since he's the most badass character in the history of .hack, I'm glad they improved him. Sophia sounds like Aura I think.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Those items make things a lot easier. Just kicked Ovans ass in like 11 seconds without even trying.
Rakuroikusan

Post by Rakuroikusan »

Thanks Kuukai, I was wondering what the hell was going on in Thanatos. That 13th file Sogabe Ryuuji brought to Reiko'll probably be mentionned and talked about in future chapters of Bullet, well hopefully anyways. I totally didn't even notice that was Tanaka at the end, it never dawned on me lol But is it just me, or did David's voice change?
VirusCoreS

Post by VirusCoreS »

Kuukai wrote: EDIT: Wow, watched the pilots. Sora Yuuki's name was originally Yuuki Aoi (azure), and her love interest was named Yasuhiko. Way more blatant, feels more like a retelling than an installment. The love theme is bigger and the themes of courage and "access" are more apparent. Also it seems like they chose a town with waterways to symbolize the way technology just surrounds people and is part of life.
Wow just wow. XD
ah, do you remember? Back in Infection parody, Kite called Orca Tanaka Wabisuke instead of Yasuhiko.

And.. Um, stupid question please? Tanaka Kakeru is NOT Yasuhiko's son, right? right?
ataraxia

Post by ataraxia »

That's extremely unlikely.

The original .hack games took place in the year 2010. Yasuhiko was fourteen then.

.hack//The Movie takes place in 2024. Yasuhiko would be twenty-eight now.

Tanaka Kakeru is around fourteen or fifteen. For him to be Yasuhiko's son, Tanaka would have had to have been conceived around when Yasuhiko was still in middle school.