The art style and Gits reference in the trailer.

Sadivinedevil

The art style and Gits reference in the trailer.

Post by Sadivinedevil »

Though this movie is made by the same people who made the games and Trilogy I can't help but think that another team worked on this movie, from what I've seen in the trailer. The art style is somewhat different, maybe Pixaresque, from what I'm used to with the .hack series. Then again it's a delightful change from the darker style of the G.U. series. I also have to admit that putting "The Movie" in the title, while unoriginal, was kind of funny since they tried everything else, and they probably thought ah what the hell lets just put "The Movie" instead of another cryptic title.

By the way did any Ghost in the Shell fans notice the reference when "Sora" dived into the world.

Oh by the way with this movie coming out next year .hack will be a 10 year series Woot Woot.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: The art style and Gits reference in the trailer.

Post by Kuukai »

Well, this is their first theatrical film, which is all Pixar ever does. So that jump in quality is going to invoke the former. If Pixar did in-game cel-shaded scenes maybe someone would say that looks like CC2... In my opinion some parts of it actually remind me more of CC2's neighbor Level-5.

Actually, like many Japanese movies, this has a Japanese title and a not-exactly-the-same English title. The Japanese title is just "dothack". Simple, elegant, and singular. This is the story, wrapped up for new audiences and old fans.

What was the reference? What I saw was Stargate...
Sadivinedevil

Post by Sadivinedevil »

Kuukai wrote:Well, this is their first theatrical film, which is all Pixar ever does. So that jump in quality is going to invoke the former. If Pixar did in-game cel-shaded scenes maybe someone would say that looks like CC2... In my opinion some parts of it actually remind me more of CC2's neighbor Level-5.

Actually, like many Japanese movies, this has a Japanese title and a not-exactly-the-same English title. The Japanese title is just "dothack". Simple, elegant, and singular. This is the story, wrapped up for new audiences and old fans.

What was the reference? What I saw was Stargate...
I thought G.U. Trilogy was somewhat theatrical as well, then again it was more of a direct to DVD movie (it may have had a theater viewing in Japan like FF7 Advent children had). In the trailer for this movie the title is clearly pronounced .hack//The Movie. Now this might be a working title or the official title, but I just thought it was somewhat funny since most of the subtitles for the .hack series have been somewhat cryptic. The Ghost in the shell reference is the design of the diving into the internet sequence that takes place from 20-30 seconds in the trailer (it also looks like it's a reference to Stargate as well). It's a similar structure to what is seen when someone in Gits looks at a server while they are on the internet (mostly obvious around 25 seconds into the trailer, if you look hard enough). It's a minor reference, but then again I'm someone who loves seeing minor references like that.

I also feel as if they intend for this movie to hit the theaters first, in every country it is released in, and I think that would just be awesome. Then again I would still be fine with a direct to Blu-ray movie here in America.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Trilogy was basically exactly like Advent Children, a direct-to-video project that ended up seeing some theaters. The quality is similar too. This is more like Spirits Within, a full-fledged theatrical movie. Not sure about it making it to theaters here, though, even Eva had trouble with that...

Huh? No, the narrator only says "dothack"
Aika

Post by Aika »

It won't even be localized to the US much less being in theaters. Purely for a Japanese audience. We don't make them enough money so they don't care. The end of .hack was the end of .hack//GU
Kim_Hyral

Post by Kim_Hyral »

Aika wrote:It won't even be localized to the US much less being in theaters. Purely for a Japanese audience. We don't make them enough money so they don't care. The end of .hack was the end of .hack//GU
Ye, I agree with Aika-chan. U_U
I hate those bastards from CC Corp
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

It's not CC2's fault, it's Bandai Entertainment's, and more than that it's the consumer's. That said I wouldn't write off a dvd release. Note that unless it's the shortest movie ever this movie will be longer than all of Quantum, which was only 1 hour. That's probably a big reason we haven't seen that out here, who wants a 1-hour dvd? Everything longer than an hour has made it over...
emptyazureskies

Post by emptyazureskies »

to make it longer they coulda i dont know dubbed returner....
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

I am sure .hack//Quantum was a little over an hour. But Kuukai is not wrong. No one should expect the movie to be very short.

CC2 has nothing to do with release in the West unless they own some sort of licensing rights. The same applies for Bandai Entertainment. All we know is that the company managed to grab Trilogy and nothing else. No one knows but their decisions could be either based on selling price or an inside policy. As mentioned consumer demand affects the price a Business can supply for an item. However that equilibrium is being affected by a national determent. I am sure that in a more rich financial time chances for any dub or release would increase. Regardless should any of that matter?

Realistically, the movie should be available for DVD in the future, some one will either write a summary or sub it. I do not believe the movie is split into so many parts that no one would bother with it especially in the dot hack community. The only material outside countries ever spiritually loose out on is costly content heavy material such as games, manga and books, in which the former games, are eventually translated.