Post by hidora »

Looks pretty dang awesome *-*

Also, at 0:48, "The World Force Era". Sounds nice :D
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: New Teaser Site

Post by Kuukai »

4th Era, Force Era, XXXX, X 4th, X Force, Xth Form... it's all coming together. I love Matsuyama.

Oh one other thing to mention about the cost of this movie vs. Spirits Within, which ruined Square's movie ambitions. Square blew all their money trying to mimic real life, like I said. This is pretty standard in CG. You hire motion actors and face actors and you do a technique called "rotoscoping" where you try to get your animation as close as possible to the actor. This requires a lot of render power to look nice, and you use huge supercomputers for this.

Back during G.U., Matsuyama got rid of the actors and the models, and asked his team to really "draw" the faces and the motion from scratch. This is the reason .hack//G.U. and later Naruto had such anime-esque facial expressions, and why all the character movement was so fluid and cinematic. You got a real sense of who Haseo was and how he felt. This was real animation, the kind we grew up with. Every single employee who works at CC2 wears an art apron with markers for sketching/whiteboarding. After six years of doing this, you can bet they're pretty much gods at it, and now they can leverage these skills into making a competitively good-looking movie. They don't need to pay Andy Serkis 8 million dollars to blink for them. They don't need to take 90 takes of each face shot because it dips into uncanny valley. They can just do what they do. They're even doing it for Soul Calibur, if you haven't heard.

If this movie is successful, it'll be interesting to see what's next for this graphics powerhouse Piroshi has unleashed upon the world.
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Great information there. I am always glad to hear that CCCorp is doing well, they really deserve it after all of the effort they put into their products and knowing that .hack// is basically Piroshi's baby that is not affected by popular appeal and executive meddling (He is technically the executive meddler, but it works because he has such a tight grip on his worlds) it shows why .hack// continues to be a quality media.

Also who else has the gall to make their own company the villains in their fantasy world? That wry bit of irony always brings a smile to my face.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Exactly. Look at the credits: CC2, and CC2, and CC2. The director is the creator of the franchise, the writer is the man who wrote the Epitaph. One outside company handling promotion and nothing else. An awesome cast who I have no doubt Matsuyama hand-picked since their work is so in line with his interests (Summer Wars, Shinkenger...). And no one else. Does that ever happen? Even the new Eva movies have like 5 companies in the credits...

The Japanese name for this film isn't even "the movie", it's just "dot hack". This is the pure, unadulterated stuff.
k-su

Post by k-su »

I'm incredibly impressed and excited. The art style surprised me, but their style has always been changing and evolving, so it's wasn't completely unexpected. It looks incredible. Its pretty sad that a lot of the initial reaction I've seen around the net has been BAWL, its not a game, CC2 you suck you trolled us. Well I guess people will be a bit more accepting with the game hybrid announcement. That was a pleasant surprise if I've ever seen one.

Edit:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/083/G008320/20110824001/

Another article with 2 short clips
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

One more thought about the art style: This is a 3d movie. Cel-shading it would make it 2d.