.hack//Archives 03

Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: .hack//Archives 03

Post by Kuukai »

There are no spoilers for the 3rd Season in this book. 2nd Season, kinda. As for what's left, there's still a movie coming out, and some of the manga is still running...
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Good to see that movie is still planned. Though whatever happened to the ChupChopCase? I had thought that was supposed to be either a manga/novel/OVA? To my knowledge I haven't seen anything on it.

Also in the Archives 03 near the back there is a timeline which seems a lot more detailed than the ones given elsewhere, with this one starting in "196?", what exactly is that event, according to the timeline? If I would garner a guess I would say Harald's birth, but Harald is often referred to as normally looking as if he is 30-40, not 40-50?

And I have to say, now looking through all of the changes that I could read (or rather see) .hack came a pretty far way. The first prototype looks like it would have been an... interesting experiment, I guess? Very action oriented. The design for the town looked rather interesting, if nothing else and the cast of characters in it seemed more accustomed to the World:R2 rather than R1.Though was that prototype even supposed to take place in an Online Game? Also is that evil looking succubus looking girl in the back of the Prototype Phase 1 supposed to be Morganna? In any case it looked as if that idea went nowhere. Aside from the "Actions" there's no info. on it.

MoonCrow looked like it was a closer implementation of the current system, you can see Mac Anu slowly start to emerge from the cars zipping by and traffic lights that seemed to play a part. It surprisingly appeared to have a much darker main character than Kite was, even this early it was interesting to see the Eye motif being prominent. Though what is some of the text around those characters? There's quite a variety there and nothing of that sort appears in .hack by any stretch.

Now Treasure Hacker is clearly the most well developed of the prototypes, I think it could even be considered to be the beta version of .hack as we know it, it seemed more or less complete, at least I get that from how much info. is here on it. Is that guy with the chains on the first character page of Treasure Hacker just an alternate version of Orca? If so, I'm glad they went with the other design, that one looks far too much like Balmung.

I do have to say that BlackRose using a whip is intriguing.

What does the text say under Human Skeith, out of curiosity?

Natsume using Tonfas? (Or rather... one Tonfa... hah) interesting. Wiseman looks like Guile, very glad they didn't go with that design. Rachel with a Shield? Could have been interesting... Shields are mentioned in AI Buster 2, I guess it can be assumed that they were a version upgrade addition.

After the Data Drain and Gate Hacking sequences they seem to have an article on Data Bugs and next to that three interesting seeming characters.

An old man with a bunch of spell scrolls, A man in a wide brimmed hat, wielding a Coffin as a shield (awesome looking, may I add), and some third thing... what was their role? If any was given?

Now what interests me most in all of this is that they seem to have full Scenarios for Treasure Hacker. Even 3 of the phases are mentioned (that I can see), it appeared as if the order was Magus, Gorre, and Skeith. With Skeith as the final boss of the series? That may explain why his AI in .hack//Infection is as relentless as it is...

If you have a minute to spare Kuukai, would you be able to give a slight transcript of what those scenarios were about?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Xu Yuan wrote:Good to see that movie is still planned. Though whatever happened to the ChupChopCase? I had thought that was supposed to be either a manga/novel/OVA? To my knowledge I haven't seen anything on it.
It was a planned possible future story a long time ago, during G.U., long before anyone ever called it ChupChopCase. I translated it as Chap Chop Incident. It was tossed around by Matsuyama but never made into an actual product. When Link came along, they decided to just release it as part of Link.

I don't remember everything in the book, I might take another look later. Some of it is already in this thread...
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

Jeez work is endless. I'm glad someone managed get the scans. The translation won't be happening, every thing I planned for died out mid semester. There''s nothing to do at this point but here are some track previews

http://www.mediafire.com/xbvijpjojnqihv5603
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Oh? Thanks for this Phantom Thief!

You planned on translating this? Were there any specific parts you were looking at?
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

I was looking at the light novel inside. I never got pass the first few pages though.
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

It does seem to be about 10-20 pages long, but the book in its entirety seems rather thick in the first place so I can see why you may have been overwhelmed.

I asked this above, but Kuukai has his hands full with other more pressing matters (.hack//LINK translation) though would you be able to give a slight transcript of the characters on page 191, there's 3 very interesting looking characters that didn't seem to make it into the game in any form, to my knowledge.

Is there any info. you could possibly give on them?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Actually I did that earlier in this thread...
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Kuukai wrote:Actually I did that earlier in this thread...
Hmm, there must be something wrong with my eyes because for the life of me I can't seem to find it. Though re-reading the thread I find it interesting that Gardenia's name was supposed to be Mika Tachibana, was that meant to be a reference to the Tachibana family of the Sengoku era?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Indeed, I had read that. I found that information pretty interesting. Though one thing that I caught odd in that is that you said in that story is that G.U didn't happen. Are you saying that //Legacy is uncanon in those terms? Or are you just saying that by that time G.U. hadn't happened yet.

Though the illustrations in that looked a lot more surreal than is ordinary for .hack// the pictures were nice looking though.

Also as for BlackRose and Kite's relationship isn't there a relationship later on that shows the two connected by a heart, pretty much unique to that relationship chart? I would love to ask a bit more about that relationship chart but I'm pretty sure that I'm taxing your patience already.

However that was not what my original question was directed towards...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The three top figures there, the old man appears to have a bunch of spell scrolls and in any media I have Never seen a coffin used as a shield. That is an awesome concept which I am sad to see didn't make it and I can't even tell what that third thing is.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Sorry, I mixed up the streams of conversation and thought you were still talking about the novel, which introduces a character. Those are just monsters: prototype mage, vampire and zombie. Nothing in there is canon (for "there being many worlds" or whatever their stance on canon is, their disclaimer on this section is pretty clear) so it's been pretty low priority for me... I'll try to cover more when I get the chance but I don't think the text says anything very interesting. The main interesting thing about these concept sketches is the art itself... If something truly radical was written down somewhere I tried to add it to the thread when I skimmed...

The novel happens before G.U.
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Kuukai wrote:Sorry, I mixed up the streams of conversation and thought you were still talking about the novel, which introduces a character. Those are just monsters: prototype mage, vampire and zombie. Nothing in there is canon (for "there being many worlds" or whatever their stance on canon is, their disclaimer on this section is pretty clear) so it's been pretty low priority for me... I'll try to cover more when I get the chance but I don't think the text says anything very interesting. The main interesting thing about these concept sketches is the art itself... If something truly radical was written down somewhere I tried to add it to the thread when I skimmed...

The novel happens before G.U.
Ah? A slight bit disappointing, but it makes sense. I have to wonder why they abandoned that awesome Coffin Shield for the thing that pops out of the coffin. I can see their train of thought with the old man spell caster though. Since it doesn't seem like he would be able to move too quickly where his replacement (I'm guessing the Grand Mage type of enemy) is pretty speedy because he's situated atop a crystal ball.

I am always a fan of knowing original concepts and knowing a bit more of the original matters helps me better appreciate the final product. What makes me really curious about the Treasure Hacker section is that they even went as far as to create storyboards for them and I think I saw a mention of Skeith showing up in Quarantine, I was just curious to know if they originally intended for Skeith to be a near final boss of the series, rather than the first phase that is fought.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

?_? I was wondering since many members here have .hack//Archives 03, does it include all of the previous archives in it?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

No, it's a collection you need to collect. Very expensive, unfortunately.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

^_^ thanks Kuukai, just that I heard that the fourth volume contained everything and wanted to double check.