What is your Favorite Marriage Clip?

GyppyGirl2021

Re: What is your Favorite Marriage Clip?

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...You're not going to get homosexual "reciprocation" from Haseo. In the words of Erik from Rune Factory Frontier, "Sorry, that's not possible." :lol:

There's a reason he looks so DO NOT WANT in those ending pictures. And judging from the overall theme of the ending, it seemed more like it was deliberately thrown in there for humor purposes... why else would the girls pop in and start making goofy remarks?
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:...You're not going to get homosexual "reciprocation" from Haseo. In the words of Erik from Rune Factory Frontier, "Sorry, that's not possible." :lol:

There's a reason he looks so DO NOT WANT in those ending pictures. And judging from the overall theme of the ending, it seemed more like it was deliberately thrown in there for humor purposes... why else would the girls pop in and start making goofy remarks?
I still say Shino made me laugh SO hard! (Though why would Pi, Atoli, and Shino all arrive at the exact same time if not for comedy, anyways? That's one bad party >_<) Mind you, being a Hasetoli fanboy, Atoli made me feel guilty about getting the scene for the sake of seeing it. Then again, I also still say Endrance is not actually full out gay, he just has dependancy issues and is possibly bi at least. (My fiancee is the one who's read the manga and has every last character's RL name ever memorized but she refuses to talk about "Gaydrance" much other than how he kicked ass as Elk)
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Haseo's "Key of Twilight"... riiiight...
Elysian

Post by Elysian »

IMO, proposing marriage to someone is a pretty clear signal that you're romantically interested in them (even if it's a much less serious statement than it would be IRL). Before arriving with Endrance at Hy Brasail, Haseo had plenty of time to say 'sorry, you've got the wrong idea, I just want us to be friends'. And yet he didn't say anything, he simply went along with it. So either he was genuinely okay with the thought of marriage (and just got a shock when he saw what Endrance was wearing), or he was leading Endrance on (which would be downright cruel).

I know it's meant to be humorous, and that's what bugs me. Endrance is a great character, not just a piece of comic relief. I'd like to see him get a happy ending, with someone who looks happy to be by his side.

And yeah, I felt bad for Atoli as well. She's totally adorable; she deserves a happy ending too.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

And the thing there is that Haseo is clearly not gay and would not accept a homosexual relationship involving himself if his life depended on it. It's more the player's choice than anything who to send the card to, in any case, and even if Haseo did show some inclination toward homosexuality (which he obviously does not), I don't think they make a very good match because Endrance is just simply obsessed with him and that, my friend, is unhealthy. I think it would make a lot more sense if, in such a case, Haseo wound up with Silabus (as a matter of fact, his ending with Sil is the only time he ever sounds remotely gay).

But it's really kind of pointless to debate as such, and as I am firmly rooted in my belief that Haseo will be with Atoli, there'll be no swaying me, on any grounds, and as such there will likely be no swaying you. XD
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Ranylyn wrote: I still say Shino made me laugh SO hard! (Though why would Pi, Atoli, and Shino all arrive at the exact same time if not for comedy, anyways? That's one bad party >_<) Mind you, being a Hasetoli fanboy, Atoli made me feel guilty about getting the scene for the sake of seeing it. Then again, I also still say Endrance is not actually full out gay, he just has dependancy issues and is possibly bi at least. (My fiancee is the one who's read the manga and has every last character's RL name ever memorized but she refuses to talk about "Gaydrance" much other than how he kicked ass as Elk)
Your girlfriend sucks.

Endrance likes pans.

And of course the wedding was a joke. Though Haseo and Endrance do like each other as friends, even in Link if you put them next to each other they have smiley faces showing they get along well. Haseo was just indulging Endrance and being a good friend. Same way the e-mail exchange between them has Haseo kind of nervous and "..." while still trying to get to know Endrance better. He doesn't, and will never see Endrance that way but he is still his friend so he doesn't just scream at him telling him to **** off. I guess everyone probably knew that, but I felt I needed to say more than just "Your girlfriend sucks", even if thats all I cared about and the rest of this is just an auto response. I mean what.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...I can see where you're coming from, Tolby, and to be honest, I really don't think everyone should take it as a serious proposal because even in the case that you mentioned, Haseo obviously does not return Endrance's feelings. :lol:
Elysian

Post by Elysian »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:But it's really kind of pointless to debate as such, and as I am firmly rooted in my belief that Haseo will be with Atoli, there'll be no swaying me, on any grounds, and as such there will likely be no swaying you. XD
Very true! Okay, let's just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

However, I don't think Haseo is gay, either. That much we do agree on.
Tolby wrote:Haseo was just indulging Endrance and being a good friend.
Possibly, yeah. But if so, it was kind of a stupid thing to do. Personally, if I was in love/infatuated/whatever with a girl, and she 'indulged' me like that, then turned around later and said 'lol sorry I'm actually straight', I wouldn't think of her as a good friend. I'd be pretty crushed, and wonder why she'd given me such a huge dose of false hope. But maybe that's just me.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

THAT'S WHY ENDRANCE DUMPED HASEO FOR TOKIO.

>_>

<_<

<_>

*awkward stares*

...never mind...
Elysian

Post by Elysian »

Oh man, don't get me started on Link XD;; Endrance/Tokio is a horrible pairing, no matter how you look at it.
Ganheim

Post by Ganheim »

Ranylyn wrote:I also still say Endrance is not actually full out gay, he just has dependancy issues and is possibly bi at least.
I agree fully - even years after IMOQ, Elk/Endrance never got past his need for external validation (they actually seemed to get worse, which I noted when I wrote his article on GiantBomb). Anyway, I guess Haseo's better than a bot, but even though I don't think he's really gay he needs to learn to stand on his own two feet and find a source of pride within himself rather than relying always on people and things outside himself to justify his existence. If Hibiki Toukai can do it, so can a non-goof like Endrance.
Elysian wrote:proposing marriage to someone is a pretty clear signal that you're romantically interested in them
That or it's a big joke (*cough*Piros*cough*).
Elysian wrote:Endrance is a great character, not just a piece of comic relief. I'd like to see him get a happy ending, with someone who looks happy to be by his side.
That may be so, but that's part of the reason why I don't think a "quick fix" or brief event with Haseo would really help him - Endrance needs to let go of Haseo and find himself (if I can say that without sounding too cliche). I have similar sentiment for Atoli: I don't hate her, but I don't think that she can really grow into her full potential as a person when she's depending on Haseo to do a lot of her fighting for her, first she needs to learn to stand up for herself. Heck, I think Kuhn would be better paired with her (besides the implication from Kuhn's emails in Vol 1 that she'd already turned to him as a sort of confidant), but that's getting into really vague territory.

Now that I think about it, there are a lot of canon or "near-canon" pairings that I don't think would end up as happy endings. Atoli-Haseo, Akane-Ranma (Ranma 1/2), Jaster and Kisala (Rogue Galaxy, and that one came out of no-where), Luke and Natalia (Tales of the Abyss, though that one's not as likely as most of the G.U. marriage endings).

I also agree about Bordeaux, though the first thought that passed through my head when I got her email was "Damnit, not another Blade Brandier! Where the hell is Saburou, or at least any Edge Punisher?!"
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I can see Haseo/Atoli ending a lot better than a good number of canon pairings out there. :P

(To give you an idea of my opinion, I think that if Haseo and Alkaid were together, they'd tear each other apart within the span of a week. Tsundere + tsundere = bad.)

Also, Luke/Natalia is far from canon - if you play further in the game, you'll know what I mean.
Ganheim

Post by Ganheim »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:I can see Haseo/Atoli ending a lot better than a good number of canon pairings out there.

(To give you an idea of my opinion, I think that if Haseo and Alkaid were together, they'd tear each other apart within the span of a week. Tsundere + tsundere = bad.)

Also, Luke/Natalia is far from canon - if you play further in the game, you'll know what I mean.
I think that if the Haseo-Alkaid relationship would sour because of those similarities in their personalities, it would've manifested on Arche Koeln (still, I can tell you're a definite Atoli fan and you have a strong dislike for Alkaid. Since we're likely not going to be able to change each others' minds, I guess we can agree to disagree on that). Funny thing though is that you're the first person I've seen refer to Alkaid as a "tsundere".

And as far as Tales of the Abyss...I've beaten the game, it's just been years and I forgot (though the stupid girl did act a few times like she expected him to act like "her old Luke" even after everybody found out why that's not possible). I'd edit, but for some reason there's no "Edit" button on my posts. Maybe I'll try visiting this site with Chrome, but all of the other browsers don't show it.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Oh no no no. Don't even MENTION anything from Volume 2 regarding Alkaid. I will go BERSERK.

*points at signature* I'm convinced that it wasn't even Alkaid.

And as for "tsundere", the definition on TVTropes (I know, bad place to refer to) is a character that can be hotheaded, but has a soft side that they mostly reserve for their crush or significant other. Alkaid classifies as a definite Type A (more hotheaded than soft side), and Haseo as well (which is a rare example since most tsundere are apparently female). XD

Haseo definitely seems to show a lot of tsundere characteristics, especially around Atoli and Shino (moreso Atoli than Shino, I'd venture). It's mainly coming from his personality that I think Alkaid's crush on him is pretty one-sided (he doesn't act the same way around her that he does Shino, in particular).
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Well because when a guy is a Tsundere he is really just a tool. Which I guess suits Haseo, so maybe you could call him that.

Though seriously Haseo isn't really one. Alkaid is pretty much the current standard. I mean you don't even have to know her character, just watch her wedding scene and her cross rengeki and you can already see the picture.
Ganheim

Post by Ganheim »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:Oh no no no. Don't even MENTION anything from Volume 2 regarding Alkaid. I will go BERSERK.
Um...that was in Volume 3. After Ovan activates the Rebirth and Cubia is overloading the whole internet, when clearing out the Lost Grounds and Haseo returns to Arche Koeln to see Alkaid back from coma? I remember seeing her in my second play-through and saying "Yay! Cubia doppel cannon fodder!"
GyppyGirl2021 wrote:the definition on TVTropes (I know, bad place to refer to
Dunno, I love their definitions of "Xanatos Roulette" and "Magnificent Bastard", which until recently respectively displayed screencaps of Yagami Light and Lelouch Lamperouge (more perfect examples I can't think of).
Tolby wrote:Well because when a guy is a Tsundere he is really just a tool.
*Recalls all of .hack//Roots* Yes, I think that could apply to Haseo.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...Derp, I got Arche Koeln and Coite-Bodher mixed up XD

Well, yeah, Haseo doesn't seem to show any inclination of his normal "affectionate" side around Alkaid, he probably just hugged her 'cuz he was worried about her there (possible to be friends without a deeper relationship and that's really all I think Haseo and Alkaid are with the possible exception of Alkaid's crush).
Elysian

Post by Elysian »

Ganheim wrote:
Elysian wrote:Endrance is a great character, not just a piece of comic relief. I'd like to see him get a happy ending, with someone who looks happy to be by his side.
That may be so, but that's part of the reason why I don't think a "quick fix" or brief event with Haseo would really help him - Endrance needs to let go of Haseo and find himself (if I can say that without sounding too cliche).
Actually, I was talking about this issue somewhere else not too long ago, and I said something similar to what you have. It's true that nothing is going to magically erase all Endrance's problems, not even winning Haseo's heart, because his overwhelming reliance on Haseo is unhealthy. He does need to tone that down, to learn more independence and self-confidence, and reach a place where it's easier for him to form normal, balanced relationships with people (either platonic or romantic).

However, I do believe that Haseo could help with his rehabilitation, up to a point. Encouraging him to leave his room, to get away from the computer and start living in the real world again. I think Haseo is definitely the person best equipped to do that. So it's not that I'm imagining any idealistic "quick fix", just a symbolic step in the right direction (which could also be achieved if they were just friends, of course, but in that case I still don't think a wedding proposal would be appropriate).
Ganheim wrote:I also agree about Bordeaux, though the first thought that passed through my head when I got her email was "Damnit, not another Blade Brandier! Where the hell is Saburou, or at least any Edge Punisher?!"
I guess it's realistic for some classes to be more popular than others, but I don't think anyone could deny that the number of Blade Brandiers is overkill. In a real MMORPG, I've always thought that Adept Rogues would be a lot more popular than they're meant to be (and not just because of Haseo's fame).
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Ganheim wrote:Dunno, I love their definitions of "Xanatos Roulette" and "Magnificent Bastard", which until recently respectively displayed screencaps of Yagami Light and Lelouch Lamperouge (more perfect examples I can't think of).

Now I'm not sure you know what it means, at least the current definition.

Yes, Endrance does need to learn to be more independent and provide for himself. But like Elysian just said, he needs someone to help him with that. Much like Elk needed Mia. Elk was such a messed up kid that the only thing he could make friends with was an AI. However at the end of the game he looks like he has a bright future ahead of him because Mia makes him happy, makes him want to become a better person, and helps him learn to communicate with other people (even if she technically isn't one). She forces him out of his shell, if only a little. Then that gets messed up and he becomes even more screwy. His time around Mia does make him want to become a stronger person even when he doesn't have her, he wanted to be strong like her. He wanted to protect her, and anyone he loved. So he became the character Endrance, if he still had Mia or someone they could have used his desire to steer him in a better direction. He had the desire and will to becomes stronger, and a better person he just went off track with no one to guide him. Haseo would be the perfect person to help.

I think a perfect example of both of these people helping him is when he decides to stop moping when Haseo needs his help. He had hit rock bottom, and starting digging. Then Haseo forces him out of basically doing nothing but sleeping inside a MMO.. while apparently still controlling his character the whole time. Then he regains his true respect for Mia's memory and that helps him move on as well. If it wasn't for Mia and Haseo he would not only be a shut-in in real life but one inside an MMO as well.

Being able to do everything by yourself, with the world against you while the chips are down makes for a great lifetime movie. Others need help.
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

Haseo isn't so much any type of personality or another... he just doesn't like dealing with people.

He finds it irritating when people don't do things his way, because quite simply his way is usually the most efficient, and when it isn't he has nothing to say about it.

When people refuse to do things 'with proper efficacy' it irritates him, because they are willfully deciding to be inefficient at achieving a goal.

He is also caustic. He grates more on the people he cares about than anyone else. He does this because everyone else is not worth his time to even talk to.

Once he realized that every person in The World, had a way they could be of use, he stopped being so averse to them... it isn't so much that he stopped disliking people, as he realized people in and of themselves, were useful, even if they didn't seem like it. Thus he stopped being as much of an ass. (It didn't hurt that he'd nearly achieved his goals by that point and had less to worry about.)

The card itself, despite having a wedding motif, is not canonically marriage oriented, considering more than half the cast makes no comment on the marriage concept. All the male gendered characters have no comment at all, and some of the females are oblivious as to what the card means as well... only figuring it out when they meet Haseo at Mac Anu's Chaos Gate. (I think Bordeaux is one of said group)

I should also mention that Alkaid is unique in that she is A. the only character it is possible to propose to twice, and B. is the only character that can be explicitly formed a relationship with. This is because, while Atoli and Haseo are clearly very fond of each other, the player can choose to send an emailed proposal to Alkaid. (Not tied to the card, as I remember it)
While Alkaid doesn't technically agree to be married at that time, she does say that she's willing to see 'where it goes,' which is about as clear as asking someone out in games,(especially Japanese ones) ever get... (Considering the very conservative view of relationships the GU games take, based on the more traditional Japanese conservative opinions... Also supported by Atoli's parents believing she is not to be seen or heard, but simply fulfill her obligations with no side trips. That isn't an oppressive thing against Atoli, but rather just a traditional family concept generally relating to female children.)

In the end my point is that Alkaid, is as much canonically related to Haseo, as Atoli is. ChimGod's effect on characters' affection level is merely a game aspect and is impossible to be canon, unless the game is literally forcing players to like each-other more. The affection meter is likewise a deus ex machina. Canonically characters would only like each-other over time, and thus it is entirely possible that, if they spent a lot of time together, Haseo could start loving Kaede or Bordeaux. However, Haseo is straight. Completely and thoroughly. Therefore, he will never return Endrance's feelings.

Where the real trouble starts is that Bordeaux is 14, Saku is a 10 year old boy, and Kaede is around 24-27 IIRC... however I suppose Kaede's case is merely a debate of taste more than morals.

Tabby, Shino, Atoli, and Alkaid are all canonically heavily tied to Haseo relationship-wise, but any of the characters could develop, given enough time.

Anyway...
Personally my favorites are Tabby, Alkaid, and Bordeaux. (I'd count Natsume in there if she didn't turn psycho at the last minute...)

I find it strange that there isn't more involvement of Tabby and Haseo, considering Tabby is the first character to have any sort of obvious feelings for him...(You can't deny she had a crush on him in Roots... she followed him around like he was a religion...)

I have to wonder, since this is partly about pairings (I mean who really wants to discuss the actual quality of the marriage videos as film pieces here?) Whether Alcor is part of the canon... It could be argued that it isn't due to the characters never having any explicit scenes with eachother, like the fact that Alkaid and Silabus know each-other pretty well... But the main reason for that is that Alcor wasn't written/finished until after //GU At a Walking Pace (The Jp title for Reminisce...) was released. That's far too late to incorporate such things...

But then again if you remember back to IMOQ, a lot of the characters never interacted once, and came back as canon being paired up quite closely... Rachel and Nuke for instance.

Anyway, I guess I'm helping to further derail things so I'll leave off here and start a new topic... or something.