Why Did Cyber Connect ends it now???

TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: Why Did Cyber Connect ends it now???

Post by TheSorrow »

wow would actually have a competitor for once. i mean look at .hack// link a lot of people are getting it without even knowing what its about just because they are fans.
...*sigh* Just what did we do to deserve this? ._.

Anyways, even with all of this going on with LINK, .Hack will NEVER be a competitor for WoW, EVER. If anything, Ragnarok was way closer to being one (it had it's anime series and all too), and even so, WoW was still far more popular and wanted. Don't say anything like "but there are alot .Hack fans" either, since, at most, the amount of .Hack fans is equal to 10% of the amount of Wow fans. Sure, we're alot...but, definetly too small in comparison with others (and i like it that way D;)
Advent_Winter

Post by Advent_Winter »

.hack compared to Wow? Impossible.
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

I would personally love a .hack MMO. I mean, in the games you're limited to just one character, unless you use hacks. I'd really love to mix and match some variety. My fiancee and I have made out own theoretical parties, based on the G.U. classes, and it would be really nice to play them together, you know? I mean seriously, at least PSU had a Free Mode where you could make your own character and play offline, why can't .hack? Seriously!

I actually kind of thought about how it could not be so broken, as well. You just know the fans would scream and cry for dual guns, for example, so I thought, why not give every class an upgrade every 10 weapon levels.

Starting: Basic combo

Level 10+: Upgrades like Haseo's Twinblade hits being upgraded from 4 to 7 hits in Vol 2, or the multi-level moving Broadsword charge.

Level 20+: An Xth form of sorts (like the Steam gunner would get a nerfed DG that was unable to juggle so insanely (I'm thinking it wouldn't hit at all beyond say 2x Broadsword range and would only stagger opponents within broadsword range, and would basically act like a ranged twinblade, no nasty aerial juggle) and would be able to multitrigger Steam Gunner skills from a DG-activated Rengeki)

But meh, I know it's never going to happen, so I'm not getting my hopes up....
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

What you're asking for is actually for a "G.U. Online", rather than a ".Hack MMO"...and it would be basicly wanting to play GU, with the skills, weapons, gameplay, enemies, areas, etc of GU, except being able to choose your own character, and being able to play with anyone around the world. Not a bad idea....for fans of GU, that is. As for everyone else, it wouldn't be entertaining enough, and not because of events or whatever, but because of the way GU's gameplay is, and that involves level, skills, weapons, status and general battle system. I personally would like that to happen...but only for a few minutes, after that i would get bored of repeating the same with people over and over, and would basicly use it as a big chatroom with "pretty fields".

IF a .Hack MMO were to exist (R:1 or R:2), it would have to change ALOT of things; most of the gameplay and battle system in the .Hack series are adapted for a single player, so that would have to change completely, and you could pretty much have to say bye-bye to things like Skill Trigger, the "leader" system, the way several skills works, Rengekis, Awakenings, etc....they could only stay if they were to be changed completely, like the leader only being able to do certain tasks and giving more freedom to the team, other ways to do the Rengeki combos and finish, Awakenings being completely different, etc. Levelling up would be different, classes/jobs would have more variety, and if there were to exist something like Xth Form, it would have to be obtained by FAR MORE MEANS than just increasing your level.

A .Hack MMO, a "The World" like we see in the series, will just never exist in our world, at least not the way it is right now. Because, EVEN if it does, everyone will soon realize that the features shown in the series just not work the same way in our world, and they'll stop playing it out of disappointment...and the so-called "real fans" will just be there because it's the .Hack MMO and their dream come true and blahblahblah...but will use it more like a chatroom than anything.
Gungnir

Post by Gungnir »

but i mean think about it dot hack can actually be played with a controller withought a crap tone of problems. and with a fusion of beta fragment G.U etc. it it could me a monster mmo there are several fans out there sure not as expansive as wow that wasn't the point the point was dot hack has the potential to grow and lets say they did make the game fans would spread the word and people would try the game. im only pointing out what is possible ok sure being bigger than wow was a stretch and a bold statment especially with fans that don't think its possible... one things for sure i would like to see some thing new hit the mmo world out there. and i know several friends that agree with me ive tested so many mmos none had the kind of play style i was looking for.

~gungnir

p.s. if your a wow fan ... sorry if i offended you.^_^
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

I never got to play the original .hack games for very long, but I got a feel for the battle system and would actually like kind of a hybridization of the two battle systems used in IMOQ and G.U. For example, kind of the original .hack "no battle cages" concept, with balanced and tweaked classes from both (because a heavy blade operates differently than an Edge Punisher, If I recall) not to mention I prefer a wavemaster's staff to the shadow warlocks' grimoires.

As for the skill trigger, it could easily be adapted to work in real time. It would not pause the battle and therefore would not be nearly as gamebreaking. You'd just need to be quick as hell if you want to counter an opponent's skill trigger with it in PVP, which is actually good since it works to weaken the " Skill trigger counter invincibility" making it possible for a level 50 to beat a level 150 by playing defensively, if he/she can hit for at least 1 damage and keep their SP up. Not to mention, giving it to the whole party gives Steam Gunners and Shadow Warlocks a very significant and needed power boost due to their targeting system, as it will stop simply running away from the targeting cursor.

Rengeki, on the other hand, would require a bit more tweaking. I'm thinking "Rengeki are far more uncommon but anyone can go for it so long as their skill was selected via the skill trigger." This means you'd be lucky to get them in normal battles, but the entire team can land them. Now obviously this is just theoretical and it will basically never happen. I'm just saying it could work if it was tried, with a little creativity.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

That does sound pretty good - the main reason I hated the cageless battle system of IMOQ was because I'd get ganged up on by several enemies at a time, most of which were much stronger than I was, and it'd basically be an instant game over. Of course, that's something to expect in a real MMORPG too, so I guess that adds a bit of realism... if they made it so that it wasn't impossible to get away from enemies (like the smokescreen from G.U. makes you temporarily invisible to monsters so that you have a chance to flee), then that would be much better.

Rengeki would definitely have to be tweaked a lot since as it is now, they're practically game-breaking (even if you have the weakest equipment, getting Rengeki all the time makes things almost too easy). And yes, there's the part about other party members not being able to use Rengeki, which works fine for single-player but would never work in a real MMORPG. Personally what I think they should do is make it so that a higher combo is required to attain Rengeki, the opportunity to keep a combo going will be shorter (i.e. closer to a Tales game, where if the enemy hits the ground it'll break the combo), and if you do manage to get a Rengeki, the damage bonus should be decreased, if only a little. Of course, the bonuses would have to be increased as well (more morale, more bonus experience after the enemy is defeated), but I think it'd be worth it.
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

Exactly. and guard cancelling would be removed, since that would never involve an enemy falling down. Basically, to Rengeki, you would need to have your whole party (Or 2 people who know what they're doing while one keeps the other enemies busy) work on juggling an enemy, which would add somewhat of a tactical and coordination challenge. Of course they could keep Boss rengeki the same, just maybe with more hits, since they do not fall down and since only one party member can land the rengeki anyways, it wouldn't be as broken (compare to say... all 3 landing rengeki at the exact same time.)

I'm also thinking maybe a slight tweak of the ranged attackers. Is it really fair that Gunners, Dancers, clerics, and warlocks have weak melee and have the same skill trigger recharge time as the melee classes, while otherwise just playing hit and run? I think maybe shortening the skill trigger recharge for the mages at least (steam gunner skills are ridiculously strong, but spells? Not so much. Also, keeping rogues at melee charge speed) would help to balance it out a little bit, because as is, most parties are basically "why bring a caster?" The downside is they'll burn through SP much faster which leads to more attention to numbers and management.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...it's like Fire Emblem, only realtime! I like it!

Let's all start a petition so that CC2 will make this game! 8D
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

Heh, start it and I'll sign, but I highly doubt it'll ever be done. I'm a dreamer and an Idealist, but also a realist =(
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

Ain't Coldbird doing a Fragment..revival...thingy...mmo...thingy? (YES I KNOW I SAID THINGY TWICE) I'm really kinda hoping he succeeds and such even if I don't know what's really going on oAo;

Unfortunately, online petitions never really..work..so I think our best hopes for a .hack//-oriented MMO of any kind is either the Fragment thing, G.U. hacks (or something?) or finding an already existing MMO with a similar .hack// feel to it. Or waiting for the first MMO to have virtual reality...'cause iffin' something like that is made, I'mma go ahead and assume that that game would be the .hack// of this reality, no matter how different it is. (lol I just said words like "iffin' " and "I'mma" in a sentence about alternate realities 8D I feel like a redneck physicist or something)
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

MizuTakishima wrote:Ain't Coldbird doing a Fragment..revival...thingy...mmo...thingy? (YES I KNOW I SAID THINGY TWICE) I'm really kinda hoping he succeeds and such even if I don't know what's really going on oAo;

Unfortunately, online petitions never really..work..so I think our best hopes for a .hack//-oriented MMO of any kind is either the Fragment thing, G.U. hacks (or something?) or finding an already existing MMO with a similar .hack// feel to it. Or waiting for the first MMO to have virtual reality...'cause iffin' something like that is made, I'mma go ahead and assume that that game would be the .hack// of this reality, no matter how different it is. (lol I just said words like "iffin' " and "I'mma" in a sentence about alternate realities 8D I feel like a redneck physicist or something)
Boldened part for sheer laughter. Redneck Physicist? Oh man, that's a new one!

Yeah, I don't have the knowledge or recources to help Coldbird but I do with the Fragment revival project the best of luck, and otherwise there's not much we can do, sadly.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

I think we still talk about it 'cause some of us still think it'll work out, but lots of us disagree xD
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

I don't think it's so much "It will" as "we want."

But hey, I can't ask the laws of the universe to bend for me if it wasn't meant to be, right?
Gungnir

Post by Gungnir »

crimsonxking wrote:About 3-4 years ago I found it annoying. Now I find it endearing ( most likely because I am not a constant regular here). Seriously, this is the only fanbase I am a part of that is still having the same conversation completely seriously as they were having in 2003. The conversation changed slightly in 2006, but remained the same at the core. It still continues to this day. I swear if we can get to the 10th Year Anniversary mark and we are all still talking about the potential and hopes for a .hack MMO, it will amuse me greatly.

... and we all know everyone still will be.
if we are still talking about this on the ten year mark we should send this page to cc corp along with a signed petition because that would mean there is way more than enough people interested in the topic to post for that long. hell 10 years is like 3 times the length of time needed to create the game.
Anime Monkey wrote:Gungnir, please don't double post. You can always edit your previous post if you want to say anything else.
i also apologist for the double post i haven't used forums in a while since i don't normally have an opinion on a topic so i forgot about that rule.
MizuTakishima wrote:Ain't Coldbird doing a Fragment..revival...thingy...mmo...thingy? (YES I KNOW I SAID THINGY TWICE) I'm really kinda hoping he succeeds and such even if I don't know what's really going on oAo;
im currently working on rebuilding my pc so i can work on creating a massive server for that cause but as my pc is now no amount of networking skill will make my pc connect due to the old/weak processor my pc has (took me an hour of searching through the Japanese manual to realize the requirements stated in needed a better processor). but on that account i haven't gotten a hold of him seance the first time he let me in on the project so i suppose ill have to show him results before he will let me back in on it lol. (or hes to busy to respond.

im glad more people show interest in the idea and i like the battle system tweaks i could defiantly see them working in real time. there could be a cool down time implemented for rengeki / or a team rengeki.
~Gungnir
GC11

Post by GC11 »

I saw this post and I really wanted to comment on it, so I signed up just for this.

As an avid online gamer who's played nearly ever MMO out there from Runescape to WoW, and all the games in between; even those that influenced .hack (like PSO) I can tell ya that a .hack MMO is no only possible, but it's overdue.

I don't think anyone should be expecting it to be a direct screen shot of what was shown in either R1 or R2, that'd be just silly. Those seasons and games are pieces of work that tell a story about one character in a sea of millions. Like all literature though, there are some things that will be cut out or added to make it more believable to the reader to make it feel less like they're watching a game and more that their inside the story.

But to create The World in a truly .hack fashion is not impossible. Fragment sucked from all accounts, it wasn't a true MMO of the World. However, its possible to make an MMO without losing the essence of .hack. Games based of perviously existing franchises (Like World of Warcraft) never turn out to be directly like what inspired them but it still contains the essences of what made that series so memorable.

I mean, if games like Phantasy Star Universe and Guild Wars, which are arguably the closest MMOs out there to .hack can not only survive, but thrive, I don't see why .hack couldn't. Just a couple of adjustments to not make the game so single player oriented.
Genshie

Post by Genshie »

This is going back to the PS2 games comments:

They aren't making any real newer PS2 games, what you call new is what Japan calls old as hell; meaning they are just importing much older games from there to here, translated of course.
Ransil

Post by Ransil »

GyppyGirl2021 wrote:...it's like Fire Emblem, only realtime! I like it!

Let's all start a petition so that CC2 will make this game! 8D

I found this thing xD

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/826072051

I hope it was for real...
Mor-Rioghain

Post by Mor-Rioghain »

The appeal of .Hack MMO, if done correctly, would be great.

The underlining system would be simple. Various towns for converse, trade and quests, with the gates leading to fields containing the dungeons. Essentially, it's a dungeon crawler, right? And that appeal will reach an audience much greater than the .Hack franchise itself.

So there's the bare-bones down. Next you have the atmosphere. Music, Graphics, Skills, Character designs and the like. The enigma of the game. Everything of .Hack we known and have come to love.

There you have it. A successful MMO.

Code: Select all

Curiosity killed the cat, you know. You asked it! [tl;dr obv.]

Well, its difficult to put a finger on it. You will always have your usual concept of defeating monsters and gaining a certain amount of experience in order to level up to obtain new stats and purchase better equipment. This is fine, it works, the problem is with how its implemented.

I feel that one of the strongest appeals MMOs have is their potential for dept. This has to be worked on so they can reach their full potential. People want to be able to sit down after a difficult day and lose themselves in another world. This is a difficult thing to do when so little attention is payed towards a games atmosphere. You're usually conscious all the time that an MMO is just that, an MMO. Whereas in .Hack and similar RPGs Ive often forgotten I was even me. Developers need to pay more attention to how a game FEELS when you play it. Very little thought or time ever goes into a games soundtrack or its background story and quests. When you think back on your favourite RPG days, what do you recall? Yeah, that special song. The satisfaction you got when completing that quest. How you were overcome with such strong emotions upon first defeating that final boss. When you get down to it, that's the basis for a strong game.

Like I said at the start the main focus will usually always be on developing your character throughout play and strengthening him/her, but as we all know it just ends up as a tedious grind. The attention needs to be elsewhere, rather than staring at that horrible 21.71% rising to 21.74% each kill. This can be done in a number of ways. Perhaps get rid of your characters ''level'' and instead have a total accumulated experience listed in your character window with other players cant see. (ie. ''12343145345.23456124356834" etc). This rids the player of a focus on double digit number, instead you will slowly notice your character strengthen as you play and move on to new mobs. Your not killing monsters for a number anymore, you're killing em to get stronger.

But now you still have the tediousness left. In .Hack we see that the characters play for obtaining rare items in dungeons, and along the way must defeat mobs to advance to the goal. Here the goal is no longer the defeat of the mobs themselves, it is just required of them to reach the end of the dungeon. Players now wish to get stronger to be able to access new areas and get rarer equipment (which hold more importance because skills are attached) and explore new lands. (More importance may be put on equipment by removing them from NPC shops? Players are again needed to interact with each other and trade items to get what they want. Maybe even go as far as to remove the currency!)

Ive always held the view that classes must be dependent on each other. There should be no equality. A Mage has ****-all HP, so needs a Tank, that Tank needs to restore HP at a fast and money officiant rate, so needs a Cleric for healing, the Tank deals little damage, and so needs the Mage, and so on. Neither of these classes should be able to dungeon crawl efficiently alone, and so team work is needed. This also comes into play with PvP, as its now team v team rather than 1 v 1(Guilds and Factions etc). MMOs are great because you play with other people, right? Why is then that I have never found a game where it is required that you level with other people? If you dont want to play with others, what the **** are you doing on a multiplayer game?

The MMO is now based around losing your self in a fantastical land, character interaction, tactics and friendship. No longer is it kill kill kill, gain level, new equip, allocate points to skills/stats and repeat. You play for the simple attraction of building upon your character (Getting the equipment[With the skills, durr]! The experience is merely a bonus of mawling through all those mobs in your way of that nifty new piece of armour/weapon/item ^_~) and working with others. Grab some mates and head out into the field!

Again, sorry. You got started me on a rant!
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Congratulations for giving us a formula for a generic, boring MMO that's basically already been done a billion times and has no resemblance to .hack outside of the superficial!