.hack//G.U. Volume 2

Tolby

.hack//G.U. Volume 2

Post by Tolby »

The novel, not the game. What is wrong with the editors or publishers of this? There are so many mistakes its hurting my eyes. I'm not the best English student, but even I find all the mistakes annoying. I don't remember volume 1 being this bad.

Quotes without opening quotations marks, or ones without closing quotations marks. Various inconsistencies. Nala is Nala and Nara. First Haseo is the Fear of Death, then hes the Terror of Death. At first I think it was suppose to be that way, but judging by the way it was alternated didn't make it seem that way. Kuhn was once a "Lose One". Oh what the hell, random forward slash. Even just the writing style itself, it didn't seem to be that well written. Well at first, once I submerged myself it got better, but maybe that was just because I'm a .hack fan and my attention was on the story. I finished the book in one sitting and really enjoyed the story being told, but wow.. so many errors.
Master ZED

Re: .hack//G.U. Volume 2

Post by Master ZED »

You forgot the best one, right at the very beginning of the prologue; the entire book takes place in the summer of 2007! Normally I'd let that go, but since that's the very first page of the story itself....

Oh, and Matsu gets mistaken for Hiiragi several times when he's first introduced. When Sakaki said "Yes, Hiiragi" after one of Matsu's lines, I couldn't help but think of the Metalocalypse episode where the band burned music to water, and the possibilities of the exchange that could have taken place just killed me. :P

The whole thing looks painfully rushed. When Nala comes up as "Nara," it shows up in such a way as to imply there's a completely separate character by the latter name. "Reiko" is spelled correctly exactly once, then it's "Rieko" from that point on. There are also several instances where the formatting is incorrect, fonts getting enlarged and apparently bolded for no good reason. Honestly, it looks like the novel was translated and written in one shot, no going back, no revisions. I got quite the laughs out of this book even though I didn't want them, but the formatting errors were actually pretty annoying, *almost* to the point that I'd be willing to buy a corrected reprint to go with by bastard copy.

Oh, and Kuhn somehow became a Steam Gunner near the end.

Even though Magus is still a lance.

At least we know the translator did their research. -_-
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Exactly! I had to read the Matsu and Hiiragi paragraphs several times. I couldn't tell if it was an error or if Matsu was being his abrasive self and interrupting/answering for him.

Same thing with Nala. I know the whole Japanese R and L thing, but the way it was talking I was thinking maybe there is a character called Nara that I just somehow never really pay attention to/is new to the novelization telling of the story.
Master ZED

Post by Master ZED »

I think what gets me the most is the timeframe involved. They had a full year, and this is what TP shits out. For $11, I'd have expected someone to use a spellchecker at some point, but noOOo; the damn thing's written worse than one of my travesties! -_-
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

... Well, I was kind of excited about getting this soon, but now I'm just shaking my head at Tokyopop. It's just like the good ol' days; AI Buster 2 anyone?
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Ah well. Give it some time, eventually they fix this in later editions. Thanks for letting me know not to go buy it yet.