Origin of names

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

VKV

Re: Origin of names

Post by VKV »

Shinsou Wotan wrote:
The Valkyrie wrote:Sora: Related to legendary person.
Kawai Sora, student of Matsuo Basho, who was considered the greatest haiku poet of all time. Sora was also considered to be a great poet in his own right.
Unfortunately I don't really have anything to add to the names but I would like to know where you could find that haiku poet. Does anyone know?
I tried to search for it but couldn't find.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Re:

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Vio-kun wrote:
marthwmaster wrote:I think Fili is also Latin for "son."
Sorry, but you're wrong about that. As far as I know, 'fili' doesn't mean anything in Latin. Filius means son and filia means daughter.
I checked my Finnish-Latin-Finnish dictionary: Nope, just fili doesn't mean anything.
This may be old, but I have to correct this.

Fili is Latin for "of the son" or just "the son's". The word is in the Genitive case, which is used to show possession.
In Latin, there are five commonly used cases for nouns (with the Vocative being a sixth).

Nominative - subject or predicate nominative
Genitive - shows possession
Dative - indirect object
Accusative - direct object
Ablative - object of a preposition

There are several declensions for nouns in Latin. Filius happens to be in the Second Declension. Each case and declension has its own special endings (which will be listed below). The -us in filius is dropped in order to add on the other endings and use them in the other cases; in short, the stem of filius is fili-.
Here's filius in all five cases, singular and plural:

Singular

Nom. - filius (son)
Gen. - fili (of the son, son's)
Dat. - filio (to, for the son)
Acc. - filium (son)
Abl. - filio (by, with the son)

Plural

Nom. - filii (sons)
Gen. - filiorum (of the sons, sons')
Dat. - filiis (to, for the sons)
Acc. - filios (sons)
Abl. - filiis (by, with the sons)

The second "i" is dropped in the Genitive Singular in order to be able to make a distinction between that and the Nominative Plural.

Also, as I mentioned, filius is part of the Second Declension, which is comprised of only male or neuter nouns. You can tell if a noun is male in gender in the Second Declension if the Nominative Singular ends in -us or -er (as in deus, god, or ager, field). If it should be neuter, the Nominative Singular would end in -um (such as bellum, war).
Snezzy

Post by Snezzy »

I know Canard is french for Duck, only the D is silent 'cause the french are like that. I only know a little bit of french, but that stuck out when I was going over some stuff. I was like "HEY! I know that name!"
Chili

Post by Chili »

Snezzy wrote:I know Canard is french for Duck, only the D is silent 'cause the french are like that. I only know a little bit of french, but that stuck out when I was going over some stuff. I was like "HEY! I know that name!"
Wikipedia wrote:In aeronautics, canard (French for duck) is an airframe configuration of fixed-wing aircraft in which the tailplane is ahead of the main lifting surfaces, rather than behind them as in conventional aircraft, or when there is an additional small set of wings in front of the main lifting surface. The earliest models, such as the Wright Flyer, the world's first airplane, and the Santos-Dumont 14-bis, were seen by observers to resemble a flying duck — hence the name.

The term "canard" has also come to mean any horizontal airfoil mounted in front of the main wing, whether moving or not.

The canard is different from a tandem wing in that a canard does not contribute significantly to lift.
It could also mean this.
fepkk

Post by fepkk »

what is the meaning of Haseo?
Chili

Post by Chili »

fepkk wrote:what is the meaning of Haseo?
It's the penname/reading of a famous haiku poet named Matsuo Basho.
Yukichin

Post by Yukichin »

Um, I don't mean to be rude, but... some of the stuff I doubt. I mean, you can't say "They came up with this name from this source!" unless it's been said... for instance, Crim or Mia. Mia isn't just an acronym, it's also a regular ol' name, and a word in Spanish, so it could be any of those. It really makes no sense to me unless it's been confirmed...
The*true*Terror Of Death

Post by The*true*Terror Of Death »

well if u doubt it look it up yourself, dont just rely on what others say.
Dantomane

Post by Dantomane »

Sanjuro: his name as I recall is of a japanese fiction movie. It could be a real movie but also may be entirely fictional though.
Natsume:(roughly possible yet most unlikely) refering to the 'Love Hina' anime and manga series where one of the characters has the name natsume and both alike have closed eyes.Natsumes nikname is Kitsune which is Japanese for "fox".
Starman

Post by Starman »

Yeah. Sanjuro is from a real movie. "Yojimbo", directed by Akira Kurosawa or arguably its remake "Sanjuro", though most likely it's the former. The lead character, Sanjuro Kuwabatake is played by Toshiro Mifune, who Sanjuro mentions being a fan of. Sanjuro also mentions other Kurosawa films like "The Hidden Fortress" and "Redbeard". Sanjuro means "thirty years old" and Kuwabatake means "flower field" or something like that, coming from a scene where Sanjuro looks out at a flower field while being asked what his name was and makes up a name based on what he is looking at and his age. The dothacker Sanjuro has the surname "Sunaarashi" or something like that, meaning Sandstorm, but that was left out of the English version.
Dantomane

Post by Dantomane »

Holy crap I gotta see this now. thanks

not ffx's yojimbo ?
Kaoshima

Post by Kaoshima »

He mentions his surname in the "Firefly" short story, and if I'm not mistaken, the Another Birth novels as well...
Last edited by Kaoshima on Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Junafani

Post by Junafani »

I don't know if anyone has said this, but when I was reading to my swedish test, I saw word ovanlig. In english it means unusual. And we all know that Ovan is VEEERY usual player... :D
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Post by nobodyknows »

Dantomane wrote:Sanjuro: his name as I recall is of a japanese fiction movie. It could be a real movie but also may be entirely fictional though.
Natsume:(roughly possible yet most unlikely) refering to the 'Love Hina' anime and manga series where one of the characters has the name natsume and both alike have closed eyes.Natsumes nikname is Kitsune which is Japanese for "fox".

that's not right :?... in love hina her name is mitsune kono, hence the name "kitsune"... hope you understand :D ...
Kaoshima

Post by Kaoshima »

According to my Sociology textbook: "Thomas S. Kuhn, a historian of science, coined the term paradigm to describe the set of shared concepts, methods and assumptions that make up scientific reality at any point in time."

And thus, Kuhn. :)
juunishi master

Post by juunishi master »

Natsume...

I never check my Japanese dictionary so often (because that dictionary isn't very complete and I really hate looking a word in a dictionary like that), but I just have a feeling the word "natsume" has a meaning.

But, anyway. Natsume's real name is Oguro Natsume, right? I think she's a type of person who use a part of her real name for an online game.

Oh, right. If you search the word "natsume" in Wikipedia, you'll find out that some kind of Japanese cup is named "natsume" too.

Same as Sanjuro. It comes from a character in a Japanese film. For sure, you can search for "Yojimbo" in Wiki.

(Wiki is like Wiseman... knowing nearly everything like that...)

Hehe.
N3IWVC

Post by N3IWVC »

This has all been very insightful.
If we can do some research on some of the names of .hack characters that haven't actually appeared yet then we might be able to get to know them before we even read/play/watch their story
d0tti3

Post by d0tti3 »

Kaoshima wrote:According to my Sociology textbook: "Thomas S. Kuhn, a historian of science, coined the term paradigm to describe the set of shared concepts, methods and assumptions that make up scientific reality at any point in time."

And thus, Kuhn. :)
Hah, he is very much a paradigm in more ways than one~<3.
Ah~! I kid~. Okay, maybe not really if you know me well enough.

Um yeah, I really find these name connections interesting, even if they don't really fit to the story or the characters themselves. Peoples' connections, insights, and creativity make it fun~.

I haven't thought about connections from names to reality, except something on W.B Yeats. I'll definitely start looking around though~!
xthform22

Post by xthform22 »

i only know a few for sure srry if i posted one that some1 else has here goes
sora-sky
aura-short for aurora? or light
bt-bacon tomato(as in blt with no lettace she didnt include lettace because there is nothing to like or dislike[accordin to her and mimru])
xthform22

Re:

Post by xthform22 »

zay/fanofsilibus wrote:Riding the Wave is Skeith, the Shadow of Death, to drown all that stands." Skeith was a program designed to collect data on human emotions and reactions to death for the ultimate AI. "Skeith" means "Shadow" in Old Scottish
very interesting skeiht(shadow) haseo a pkkk adept rouge wiht black(shadowy)clothing also he seems to fallow pks and triedge almost like a "shadow" hmmm

"Mirage of Deceit, Innis, Betray all with the flawed image, and did aid the Wave." Innis was a program designed to collect data on human reactions to deceit. "Innis" is a pun on the Latin word meaning "Meaningless". This would seem to make sense as Innis appears to be the mold or outline of something.
meaningless exactly what atoli thinks of her role in the first game and same wiht haseo

"And by the Power of Magus, a drop from the Wave doth reach the heavens, and creates a new WaveMagus is a program designed to collect data on the human need to procreate and preserve the species.
The Magi (plural form of Magus) were a tribe from ancient Media. Three famous Magi were the Three Wise Men, most likely making Magus another biblical reference.
hmmm...no comment sorry

"With the Wave, Fidchell, the power to tell the dark future, hope darkens, sadness and despair rule." "Like a frenzied horse that is driven. An unseen wind of plague shrieks across the border. Pandemonium, wailing, and stench of carnage fills the air. There is no place to run. No hope of escape. Those who are mourned will never return. The hands of time cannot be turned back."
Fidchell is a program designed to collect data on the human concept of unavoidable fate. Fidchell is a Celtic version of chess, and according to legends it often has a mystical or divinatory aspect to it. Battles ebb and flow as a result of a game of fidchell.
chess... again very intersting almost the same way as though yata of fidchell the prophet seems to "play his pawns" and uses a lot of strategy as though hes ina game of chess

"Gorre schemes when swallowed by the Cursed Wave." Gorre is a program designed to collect data on human cruelty.
Gorre is another spelling of Gór, a character of Norse legend who was always seen with his brother Nór, hence there are two separate parts of him.
hmmm two brothers well saku sometimes has an attitude of a tough boy (lol) but yes siblings like saku and bo

"Macha seduces with the sweet trap." In the Epitaph of Twilight, Macha sets a trap for the enemies of the Cursed Wave. Macha is a program designed to collect data on human affection (but only that which arises from unrequited love). Macha, who is a Celtic war goddess, and the sister of the Celtic goddess Morrigan, or Morganna
hmmm.no comment on the war except that she seems to have people starta war wiht someone who gets to close to her endrance(although her macha cat was filled with aida) sadi she gets bored without to much violence-as for the effection..do i even have to say it

• "Wave reaches the Pinnacle, and escape none can. Tarvos still remains with more cruelty to punish and destroy." In the Epitaph of Twilight, Tarvos stands ready to cruely and mercilessly strike down anyone who manages to escape from the Wave, although it seems that no one can. Tarvos is a program designed to collect data on human jealousy, revenge, and other dark emotions. Tarvos means "bull", and is a bovine deity in some pantheons. It is also the name of one of Saturn's moons.
hmm bull... well no comment except for pi and her avatar seem to have horns some bull except they come out of the back plus she seems to run over anyone who aggravates her lol

"And with the turbulent destruction after the Wave. Only a void remains. From deep within the void arrives Corbenik." Corbenik completes the perfect AI by collecting the human emotions towards the meaning of life and death and the purity within their hearts. :wink:
hmm meaning of life and death (emphasis on meaning) doesnt it remind you of ovan influencing emotions convicing them to find "meanings" in his words and certain things and bring back life /spoiler(meaning shino) by birnign death to  (ovan) wow lot of stuff i found out sorry for that

anyway if anyone can find all of the epitaph users names (meaning endrance,pi,yata,ovan,haseo,not inclundin sakubo cause we all know theyre name,kuhn,um not atoli shes bird) but ya the reason being for that qeustion is if there is any relation between avatar and name i know your talkin baout the origanl phases but i thought id throw in gu too sorry