Origin of names

Discuss .hack items not covered on other forums

Moderator: Moderators

Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Fleur de Lys wrote:To be honest with you : no, surely no. In the case of a "joke" from Ito to Matsuyama, the less Natsume and Piroshi interact, the better it is. Why ? To prevent Matsuyama to find the reference too quickly. :D
Matsuyama is the one writing the column, though, I don't see how the pair of characters in it could be chosen behind his back.
Fleur de Lys wrote:I neither say that. My theory (it's still a theory) only implies a kind of game.
What do you mean?
Fleur de Lys wrote:Let me think... Hum, Mistral ! ;)
Ok, so that's a 50-50 chance of it being Natsume, that's no enough to make anyone think there was really a reason. Characters like Marlo, Kite, etc., can be ruled out, so what I meant was that there choice wasn't very broad.
Fleur de Lys wrote:I note. As you know so much about .hack, you're probably closer to this truth than me, for sure. But, as it's the kind of connection i like alot, i'll still believe in it. In fact, that Natsume comes or not from Natsume Sôseki has absolutly no importance in the whole of .hack.
Go ahead then, I didn't realize you were actually a fan of the book, I thought you were trying to prove a connection. One interesting thing I learned when I checked the kanji for Natsume, however, is that it wouldn't be unusual for her to be a member of Moon Tree (her name can mean "Jujube Tree"), though due to the way her name is written and the time she re-enters the series, I doubt it...
Fleur de Lys

Post by Fleur de Lys »

Kuukai wrote:Matsuyama is the one writing the column, though, I don't see how the pair of characters in it could be chosen behind his back.
That's what the theory says : Natsume had been chosen after he learnt it.
Fleur de Lys wrote:I neither say that. My theory (it's still a theory) only implies a kind of game.
What do you mean?
word play. Ito and Sadamoto (or only Ito) making a hidden reference to Botchan, and waiting Matsuyama to find it...
Kuukai wrote:Go ahead then, I didn't realize you were actually a fan of the book, I thought you were trying to prove a connection. One interesting thing I learned when I checked the kanji for Natsume, however, is that it wouldn't be unusual for her to be a member of Moon Tree (her name can mean "Jujube Tree"), though due to the way her name is written and the time she re-enters the series, I doubt it...
I'm not a fan of the book. I read it because of this connection. Even if i think that here is no connection between the story of the book and .hack, i finally found Botchan's reading very interesting. Except that, at the beginning, i was as irritated by Botchan's personnality as some others are irritated by Piroshi's one.

But, the new Natsume's name is still written in hiragana, not in kanji, isn't it ?

Fleur de Lys.
Noaru Hikari

Information of Corbenik

Post by Noaru Hikari »

Elaine of Corbenic: In Malory, Elaine is identified as the mother of Galahad. She is the daughter of king Pelles, the keeper of the Grail. In order to create this perfect grail knight, who represents the mixing of two strains of 'holy' blood, Elaine must seduce the less than eager Sir Lancelot. She succeeds in this by enchanting him. (Taken from Arthurian legend)

I'm not sure this is entierly correct but it does have some interesting releation to Morgana, Harald, and Aura's role :D . However, I found little information on this... :(
.Alice

Post by .Alice »

Aura or Aurora is a word very simple in spanish It mean dawn.
juunishi master

Post by juunishi master »

Before I write so long, I apologize for my bad English.

I've read throughout all pages and a bit surprised about the theory of Kite name's origin.

I've read this thory somewhere. I don't really remember but maybe it's from .hack//Wiki site.

The very first plan about the main storyline of .hack games (I'm sure the title ".hack" haven't created at that time) is an adventure of a thief in a fantasy world. It's just like common RPGs, but then the plan changed and (maybe) the director of .hack series keep the concept "thief" as the main character's name-Kaitou (which means thief, right?).

The proof of this theory is the wrong Romanization (I don't know if I use a wrong word...) for Kaitou --> Kight. Maybe (again) during the translation, the translator give the name Kite which sounds same in Japanese.

That's all.

Hehe.
Black_Haze

Post by Black_Haze »

juunishi master wrote:The very first plan about the main storyline of .hack games (I'm sure the title ".hack" haven't created at that time) is an adventure of a thief in a fantasy world. It's just like common RPGs, but then the plan changed and (maybe) the director of .hack series keep the concept "thief" as the main character's name-Kaitou (which means thief, right?).

The proof of this theory is the wrong Romanization (I don't know if I use a wrong word...) for Kaitou --> Kight. Maybe (again) during the translation, the translator give the name Kite which sounds same in Japanese.
I checked a translator and yea, Kaitou can translate to Theif. Well, that's interesting... thanks for the info ^^ (your english isn't that bad either; there are people who are fluent who type worse than you)
juunishi master

Ahaha. Glad to hear that, Black_Haze.

I've just remembered something this afternoon.

About Mistral's and Mireille's name.

I think their names come from French word. Mistrall is a type of hot wind (in other place, people called it "Fohn" or "Chinook") that blows from a high place like a mountain and it destroys plants. Mistrall is the French name's for that wind.

And Mireille, if I take reference from the anime "NOIR", it's a usual French name. (if I'm not mistaken, I'm not a French...)

Hehe.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

In-universe, it's also derived from her real name being Mirei.
juunishi master

Oh right. It's another possibility too.

(Looks like I'm going to write a lot again, so sorry for my English.)

I've found something interesting about the name "Endrance".

I've thought it over and found out that in Japanese, Endrance's name maybe read as "En-du-ran-su" (not sure about this one, because I only read the character found in my Japanese lesson book). The word "En-du-ran-su" could be Endurance if we Romanize it, not Endrance.

Is it another mistranslation?

Hehe.
Chili

Post by Chili »

I don't know when, where or who, but someone once posted that Haseo's name was derived from the Bible. I just don't know if I can confirm that he really took Basho's pronunciation.
Shinsou Wotan

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

Chili wrote:I just don't know if I can confirm that he really took Basho's pronunciation.
I can confirm that.

The relevant sentence from my Japanese dictionary's entry on Matsuo Bashou:
号は「はせを」と自署。
Translation: He signed his name as 'Hasewo'.

Notes:
1. 'Hasewo' is a strictly correct, reversible transliteration; 'Haseo' is also acceptable.
2. Those are the same characters used in Haseo's name, just in hiragana rather than katakana.
Rena-Chan

Post by Rena-Chan »

juunishi master wrote:Oh right. It's another possibility too.

(Looks like I'm going to write a lot again, so sorry for my English.)

I've found something interesting about the name "Endrance".

I've thought it over and found out that in Japanese, Endrance's name maybe read as "En-du-ran-su" (not sure about this one, because I only read the character found in my Japanese lesson book). The word "En-du-ran-su" could be Endurance if we Romanize it, not Endrance.

Is it another mistranslation?

Hehe.
You're correct on the "En-du-ran-su", it's read that way on the japanese site. :3 (it's typed "エンデランス" on the site.)

And I always thought it was "Endurance" instead of "Endrance", cause the latter always sounded odd, really, really odd. But also take note, that I believe the U sound kinda is silient-ish sometimes, so it might be pronouced "Endransu"-like the way it's written in japanese, but I'm not sure, since I'm still learning the language. I think the fact it's written as "De-little Yu" makes it differently said then "Du" *should go look that up*
Shinsou Wotan

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

Rena-Chan wrote:You're correct on the "En-du-ran-su", it's read that way on the japanese site. :3 (it's typed "エンデランス" on the site.)

And I always thought it was "Endurance" instead of "Endrance", cause the latter always sounded odd, really, really odd. But also take note, that I believe the U sound kinda is silient-ish sometimes, so it might be pronouced "Endransu"-like the way it's written in japanese, but I'm not sure, since I'm still learning the language. I think the fact it's written as "De-little Yu" makes it differently said then "Du" *should go look that up*
デュ is the katakana method of representing the non-Japanese "du" sound, since that spot in the syllabic table is taken by ヅ, which is pronounced "zu". It's the same combination used in words like プロデュサー (producer) and グラデュエーション (graduation), so the U sound is generally pronounced.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Since the consonant before it is voiced, the "u" is too, in standard Japanese at least. The general rule is that "i" and "u" are devoiced only when the consonants before and (if applicable) after them aren't voiced. A little more complicated than that, but those are the minimum conditions for devoicing, so "du"'s "u" is voiced.
juunishi master

*sigh*

I don't know anything about Japanese except the usage of Hiragana and Katakana.

Endrance is written in Katakana too, rite? Katakana is for words for foreign language.

So?

Could it be Endurance not Endrance?

Hehe.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

...That's what we're saying...
BadRPiggy

Post by BadRPiggy »

Ovan is Bulgarian for "I gots a cheese sammach in my arm."
Black_Haze

Post by Black_Haze »

BadRPiggy wrote:Ovan is Bulgarian for "I gots a cheese sammach in my arm."
Thank you for the laugh (I laughed hard)... but I think that joke should stay in the "What G.U Characters would never say" thread.
juunishi master

I don't get it (I really don't get the meaning, no offense. It's about my sense of humor)

Btw, where does the name "Elk" come from?

If Orca named his character after Orca--whale--because he is impressed by the way it kills... that doesn't mean Elk named his character for the same reason too, right?

Hehe.
Black_Haze

Post by Black_Haze »

I did a quick check through this topic and no one has said anything about Cubia! (unless I missed something, in which case I'm sorry for posting). If it hasn't been said yet, can somebody figure out what it means for me; I'm too lazy...