Pros and cons

Requiem

Post by Requiem »

Sirius is the Dog Star, also known as the North Star.

And unless the have a giraffe or a lamp post for a constelation, I'm pretty sure Tenrawr isn't a stellar body.
Ressic

Post by Ressic »

Seems to me that Sirius' appearance in game might be more inspired by ancient Egyptian gods. The choice of name is fairly interesting, now that you've indicated other names for that star, since the character does seem to have a dog-like face to me.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward those name changes being because the Japanese characters were named for those stars, and it was decided to translate them so english speaking users could more easily draw the same connections that the Japanese might from the Japanese names.

More on Alkaid here. The significant portion being the last paragraph, about the source of the name. In game, Alkaid's party when you run into her durring a quest seems to be made up of her two sisters.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Ressic wrote: I'm wondering if Yowkow, Taika and whatever the Japanese name for Sirius actually corresponds to what the Japanese call those stars.
They do actually hence why the name change isn't a big deal. The only one who wasn't renamed is Taihaku which is the name for Venus, probably because it doesn't suit his appearance.
Requiem

Post by Requiem »

Or maybe it's because Taihaku is too awesome to have his name screwed up.

Seriously, why change awesome names? I would have left Yowza-Cow and Tenrawr the way they were.

Because of name changes, parodies will haunt them to their death, which may have been induced by elkAIDS or Sirphillus.
Ressic

Post by Ressic »

In the case of Taihaku, it might be as much persona as appearance that prompted not changing the name. I'd wager most english speaking people have at least the passing knowledge that the name of the planet Venus is from the old Roman goddess of love, and it would be more than a little confusing to us for a masculine character to have such a highly feminine name.

That said, I wouldn't characterise the Yowkow->Alkaid or the other name changes as "screwing up" their names. The significance of the characters choosing names of certain astral bodies grants some insight into the characters beyond what is appearant from their interactions with Haseo. Much the same as the significance of Balmung choosing the name of Siegfried's sword for his character. If the names had been left in their Japanese forms, I doubt I'd have made the connection to the various stars. With my very limited knowledge of japanese language, "Yowkow", "Taika" and the like are little more than foreign sounding names.

From where I sit, the people making fun of the changed names don't know the source of the naming, and can't be bothered to learn the significance of those names. It doesn't do much good to have "cool" sounding names if the audience has little to no chance of divining the meaning behind those names.
|kenji|

Post by |kenji| »

my pros and cons :]

pros:
great battle system, i really loved the skill system, rengeki, and the awakening..
graphic, story, characters background and sounds (kaijura rulez!)

cons:
dungeon system is the same as the old series, 4 different types of dungeons, everytime the same
battles too much easy >_< i remember i fought endrance at lvl 39 and he destroyed me, i fought him at lvl 42743 and i destroyed him ._.
Kairou

Post by Kairou »

Are there really 4 types of dungeons :D
I'm excited now, I only found 2, the Cave and te Japanese Shrine. How do I go to the others?

My Pros:

I just hate R:1 a lot.

Cons:
Gaspard
Silibas
Dungeons
Tenji

Post by Tenji »

-pros

-Haseo´s badass actitude (meaning: to Pkk those PKers... i just love to do that... i can play all day just to read the "what´s the terror of death doing here" message before i pk them)
-Haseo´s smartass actitude (meaning: his actitude towards Atoli, Sakaki, the old hag and khunieeeee~ lol... Haseo is my favourite game character ever)
-The arena, yay.
-the cell shading graphics... i love those exagerated anime reactions.
-battle system.
-the upgrade in the music.
-to participate in the forums, that´s great.
-Quests and Guilds
-Alkaid
-the death gruntie (?)

-Cons

-Piros.
-no doble voice cover. (the english voice for Haseo is no good... Ovan´s voice is awfull, he sounds kinda drunk (?) and several othe issues about the english voice cover)
-the fact that i can´t summon my avatar at will to pkk... i kinda wanted to.
-some diferences betwen the game and the manga. (the mangas has some cool things i wanted to see. hope to see them in vol 2)
-no optional party members...
-no flick reaper... no real "terror of death" in this vol...

-Others

-limit level 50.
-the bike.
-no more rare items hunting...
-no aditional/optional quest at the end of the game.
-no more see ya later aligator!! (kinda miss it but syntetising is better)
blackphoenix

Post by blackphoenix »

Kairou wrote:Are there really 4 types of dungeons :D
I'm excited now, I only found 2, the Cave and te Japanese Shrine. How do I go to the others?

My Pros:

I just hate R:1 a lot.

Cons:
Gaspard
Silibas
Dungeons
Well, only 3...field, cave, and shrine
Kairou

Post by Kairou »

Awe...

Will Del Donna have more areas? Like...17 different types?
Scourge

Post by Scourge »

cons-lvl limit 50
-weapon skill lvl limit
-can only carry 50 of the same item
- not many types of areas to visit
-many others
Mugi

Post by Mugi »

good:

the battle system is WAY better than in the old games :)
graphics
MUSIC !!!!
Ryu books no longer take 30 minutes to open xD

bad:

the bike (didn't like the idea, and it's pain to drive around until you get the ryu book to lvl 3)
all the quest shop quests required 3-member party :( (terror of death works alone)
the voiceacting... ( there is good ones too, but generally it was totally BLAH :( )
infact, i disliked the voiceacting so much that i did a so called "undub" of the game to enjoy it more

((japanese voices+english text))
Rental Daughter
BURRNN MY BREEADD
BURRNN MY BREEADD

Post by Rental Daughter »

Mugi wrote:good:

graphics
MUSIC !!!!

bad:

the bike (didn't like the idea, and it's pain to drive around until you get the ryu book to lvl 3)
all the quest shop quests required 3-member party :( (terror of death works alone)
the voiceacting... ( there is good ones too, but generally it was totally BLAH :( )
infact, i disliked the voiceacting so much that i did a so called "undub" of the game to enjoy it more

O.o how'd you do that?

But ah yes . . . the faster opening of Ryu book was definitely a pro.
Mugi

Post by Mugi »

well, the process is rather simple...

1) download teh NTSC-US and NTSC-J Versions of the game

2) Extract both .iso files to pieces

3) there's a folder named "PSS" along with some other folders and few files
take that folder from the NTSC-J Version and use it to replace the same
folder from the NTSC-US Version

4) recompile the .iso File and burn it to DVD.
naturally this requires a modded ps2 to run, but atleast for me it raised the enjoyment rate of the game 100% :)

5) im not going to the details here since this is not a place for making illegal copies of games, but if someone is interested, PM me and i'll explain it with details
Daichi

Post by Daichi »

Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Pro:
basically EVERYTHING
Con:
The usual stuff already said
cant change weapons quickly
cant change ally's equipment
Also no legendary lands: Hideous Someone's Giant, Bitter Fantasy Mirror World, and Pulsating Sea of Cloud Whale. The location of the bosses the
Parasite Dragon, Angolmore, and the Black Death.
Also even though im the Emporer, fighting in the Arena against people the same lv I am i still wish they make the fghts challenging even against a party of Me,Kuhn, and Pai.
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

graphics
MUSIC !!!!

bad:

Dude! how can you not like the Steam Bike!?!
Azure Knight
The Sasquatch King
The Sasquatch King

Post by Azure Knight »

dark_kratos wrote:here is a good pro

you can learn spells instead of equiping weps or armors
Do you mean like not having to change weapons or armors to cast spells?
Kensei~ wrote:Here is another...no more "BATTLE MODE ON" flashing on the top of the screen whenever you're in a battle.
I hated that in the other games

Pros: Everything

Cons: PIROS THE 3RD

I've had enough of this "He of fair eyes" and " May the stars shine down upon you until the end of your journey" crap

The guys your oldest party member (39) THE GUY'S OLDER THAN ANTARES FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!
Daichi

Post by Daichi »

Keyaki wrote:

graphics
MUSIC !!!!

bad:

you can't collect steam bike food, and get a lukcy, rare bike.
Azure Knight
The Sasquatch King
The Sasquatch King

Post by Azure Knight »

Daichi wrote:
Keyaki wrote:

graphics
MUSIC !!!!

bad:

you can't collect steam bike food, and get a lukcy, rare bike.
In Vol. 2   You can customize your bike and make it look sweet