Helba in person? Or not.

Discuss the anime series that started it all, .hack//SIGN and //LIMINALITY

Moderator: Moderators

Shikuza_Ame

Helba in person? Or not.

Post by Shikuza_Ame »

I just happened to finish watching the second OVA of liminality and to my surprise, the woman the little girl with glasses meets in the incident in the movies has almost the same voice as Helba.

I was thinking that it might have been Helba who was helping the little girl. The woman did seemed analitical and clever so I assumed it might be her.

However, I am deeply aware that I can be mistaken. So I ask anyone who knows this: Could that woman be Helba or maybe they just had the same voice, but different character?
Shikuza_Ame

Post by Shikuza_Ame »

Hm.

I wonder if any moderator or adminastrators might know for sure. I also wonder if anyone has made this same question.

It took me a while to figure out how Helba's voice and the woman's voice sounded the same.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

No one can say for sure. All I know is that they went out of their way to make the voice actor consistent in both versions, and the woman in Liminality is simply too much of a badass to be an ordinary secretary. I personally think it's Helba, just my opinion.
Shinsou Wotan

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

Indeterminate. I wouldn't be surprised either way.
Shikuza_Ame

Post by Shikuza_Ame »

I see. Well...in that case then maybe everyone has already seen Helba, but not realized it.

Or maybe everyone has seen a very interesting wise lady.

I can't say I think it's Helba, but it just might.
destai

Post by destai »

I dont see reason to think its Helba unless the show or some other .hack//media suggests it. And it doesnt really so I'd have to think, its not her.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

I always thought as soon as I had watched that episode of Liminality that it was Helba. It must be, the voice actresses are the same. Either they were just lazy in hiring VAs, or it is Helba.
destai

Post by destai »

Anime Monkey wrote:I always thought as soon as I had watched that episode of Liminality that it was Helba. It must be, the voice actresses are the same. Either they were just lazy in hiring VAs, or it is Helba.
Im gonna have to go with the 2nd suggestion. Have you seen how many voices got reused between the games and the animes?
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

I think you mean the first suggestion. XP
That's true with the voice actors, especially with the Japanese. But, if you look at the English, they had the same person do Helba and Asaba (the office lady's name, I think), and she didn't do anyone else in .hack. That could also be coincidence, but unless I see evidence of it being otherwise, I'll say it's Helba.
destai

Post by destai »

Right you are, I meant the first suggestion x(. But Va's always end up playing similar characters(a confident middle-ages woman whos into playiing mind-games). .hack// is the only media where this could logically mean some sort of connection between the characters the va's play. And thats why I, myself would only consider it a coincidence.
Shikuza_Ame

Post by Shikuza_Ame »

Maybe it is a coinsidence, but ill always have a little voice inside my head say..."it might be helba".
destai

Post by destai »

"might" is the key word.

sorry, Im done now.
bredan

Re: Helba in person? Or not.

Post by bredan »

Shikuza_Ame wrote:I just happened to finish watching the second OVA of liminality and to my surprise, the woman the little girl with glasses meets in the incident in the movies has almost the same voice as Helba.

I was thinking that it might have been Helba who was helping the little girl. The woman did seemed analitical and clever so I assumed it might be her.

However, I am deeply aware that I can be mistaken. So I ask anyone who knows this: Could that woman be Helba or maybe they just had the same voice, but different character?
helba is the lady dancing in the opening in .hack//sign
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Once again there is no proof of that... that is simply to show a playr's freedom as they take on their virtual role.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Analysis says she's not. Yuan hit the nail on the head.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Analysis says nothing about Helba's identity. She could be the lady in the opening, or she could be Asaba, or she could be neither. It's completely open and unexplained with no evidence pointing in any direction.
Kite_2000
The Terror of Death
The Terror of Death

Post by Kite_2000 »

Kuukai wrote:Analysis says nothing about Helba's identity. She could be the lady in the opening, or she could be Asaba, or she could be neither. It's completely open and unexplained with no evidence pointing in any direction.
Well, I was watching .hack//Gift (Don't ask why) and it definately showed Helba was that woman dancing in the opening...>_>
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

That's GIFT absolutely non-canonical, it's just an interesting way to put her in the episode.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

The opening of Gift was actually doing a parody of the Woman and Red = Helba theory, which Bandai was apparently getting sick of.
MegamanTrigger

Post by MegamanTrigger »

umm... i dont think that asaba lady is helba. i mean, balmung and harald have the same va but theyre not the same person, are they? there isn't any evidence supporting the helba = asaba theory except the same vas.