The Unknown Tower that appears in the begining

Discuss the anime series that started it all, .hack//SIGN and //LIMINALITY

Moderator: Moderators

Shikuza_Ame

The Unknown Tower that appears in the begining

Post by Shikuza_Ame »

It looks like a cell phone, but it doesn't have everything a cell phone would have. I only like three bottons and one long screen. I don't think it's a cell phone. I think it's the epitaph of twilight. That tower may be a huge stone of some sort. I think it's the epitaph.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

How the hell can it be the Epitaph? The Epitaph is a darn POEM!
Amarao

Post by Amarao »

AuraTwilight wrote:How the hell can it be the Epitaph? The Epitaph is a darn POEM!
Well then what is it?
rhyste

Post by rhyste »

Amarao

Post by Amarao »

thanks,even though we still dont know what it really is.
sirk

Post by sirk »

I'm going to quote myself and rhyste:
Me wrote:No one really knows what it truly means but most agree with the theory that it's symbolism of something (theories differ on what exactly it symbolizes).
rhyste wrote: The black monolith/cellphone/thing has differing meanings based on who you ask. Going along with my old thesis about the use of Color in the whole anime, notice how in the last episode, it shows the area the monolith is in and it's color, then it fades to black and white as the red panel fades in. The way it fades to color is a symbol that Tsukasa's "world" is no longer The World but the real world.

However, Morganna's voice repeats that daunting "we need each other bit." People assumed that Morganna intended this to be directed towards Sora because he was now Data Drained in stuck in-game. Personally I interpretted her words as meaning that the story still continued (ie: History repeats itself in a way, only the world had faded to black and white because of Tsukasa's story ending) and not much more.

The object itself is definitely a cellphone. It was kind of like a symbol of being connected. The cellphones, especially in Liminality, are key tools. With the ending of //SIGN, we knew it was located in The World and not anywhere in the real world.
Because that's the best explanation there is.
Cless
The Wandering Twin Blade
The Wandering Twin Blade

Post by Cless »

sirk wrote:I'm going to quote myself and rhyste:
Me wrote:No one really knows what it truly means but most agree with the theory that it's symbolism of something (theories differ on what exactly it symbolizes).
rhyste wrote: The black monolith/cellphone/thing has differing meanings based on who you ask. Going along with my old thesis about the use of Color in the whole anime, notice how in the last episode, it shows the area the monolith is in and it's color, then it fades to black and white as the red panel fades in. The way it fades to color is a symbol that Tsukasa's "world" is no longer The World but the real world.

However, Morganna's voice repeats that daunting "we need each other bit." People assumed that Morganna intended this to be directed towards Sora because he was now Data Drained in stuck in-game. Personally I interpretted her words as meaning that the story still continued (ie: History repeats itself in a way, only the world had faded to black and white because of Tsukasa's story ending) and not much more.

The object itself is definitely a cellphone. It was kind of like a symbol of being connected. The cellphones, especially in Liminality, are key tools. With the ending of //SIGN, we knew it was located in The World and not anywhere in the real world.
Because that's the best explanation there is.
Not a bad theory.
Sora of Azure Shadow

Post by Sora of Azure Shadow »

makes sence to me
sirk

Post by sirk »

As long as you realize that there are other theories out there that are just as credible...
Shikuza_Ame

Post by Shikuza_Ame »

The word "Epitaph" is a poem engraved in stone. Like the one that came out in the Intros of the infection, mutation, ect ect.
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

Shikuza_Ame wrote:The word "Epitaph" is a poem engraved in stone. Like the one that came out in the Intros of the infection, mutation, ect ect.
And how is that related to the discussion at hand?
Shikuza_Ame

Post by Shikuza_Ame »

Thats exactly what I was stating.
NorbJunior

Post by NorbJunior »

so...kind of related...

When  Tsukasa opens the treasure chest in the first episode and finds the stone thingy and Morganna speaks to him...are we saying that that is the game manifestation of the Epitaph, perhaps planted by Harald and brought into play by Morganna?

Was rewatching and curiosity got the better of me..
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

The game manifestation of the Epitaph was found in fragments by Kite. What Tsukasa received was an illegal Installation Book to give him the Guardian Power, like how Kite got the Bracelet.
Nothung

Post by Nothung »

AuraTwilight Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:30 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The game manifestation of the Epitaph was found in fragments by Kite. What Tsukasa received was an illegal Installation Book to give him the Guardian Power, like how Kite got the Bracelet.

*Nods his head in agreement*
NorbJunior

Post by NorbJunior »

Ahh, I see...thanks ^_^ cleared a lot up ^___^
Brian4120

Post by Brian4120 »

Nothung wrote:
AuraTwilight Posted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:30 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Nods his head in agreement*
*Tandom nodding*
Invader

Post by Invader »

AuraTwilight wrote:How the hell can it be the Epitaph? The Epitaph is a darn POEM!
An epitaph was used mostly in ancient times and was written on a stone tablet. A poem is a modern day epitaph written on paper. Since The World has an ancient theme (with the swords and stuff) it's only natural that the epitaph would be written on stone.

I think that covers it, right?
CRtwenty

Post by CRtwenty »

Well, outside of .hack an Epitaph is the name given to the carvings on a tombstone. Which makes it a rather fitting name for something written by a dead woman. It is possible that the Epitaph is carved into the cell phone, but it's hard to tell. Personally, I've always seen it as representing Morganna. A sort of physical avatar for a being that has no physical body if you will.

Or maybe Morganna just got lonely and started texting Tsukasa. :wink:

Anyway wasn't the name given to that item Tsukasa got the "Tablet of Twilight"? Similar to know Kite got the "Book of Twilight"? That's what I've always called it.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Actually, in fitting with the first part of your message, it's called an "Epitaph" I believe, according to the script... As in, that stone tablet...