Tsukasa's Mother.

Discuss the anime series that started it all, .hack//SIGN and //LIMINALITY

Moderator: Moderators

Suyo

Tsukasa's Mother.

Post by Suyo »

Last night i was wondering about Tsukasa's mother. Asking questions like "Did she die? or did she just leave Tsukasa and  her father?"

What do you think?
crosbie394

Post by crosbie394 »

well, there is one flashback of tsukasa's where you see tsukasa and the father praying at a shrine for the mother, so imo, she died. Or it could have just been the memories morgana gave Tsukasa to make him want to stay in the world, as there is nothing waiting for him outside.
kite_blackrose

Post by kite_blackrose »

didn't tsukasa mention something about his mother in the show
Helbaworshipper
The Golden Fleece
The Golden Fleece

Post by Helbaworshipper »

That his mother was dead and used to like old movies. Look at the episode "party."
kite_blackrose

Post by kite_blackrose »

oh thankyou i forgot about that episode
TsukasaKitty

Post by TsukasaKitty »

Before I had thoght that Maha (the cat like character) had something to do with Tsukasa's mother, I don't know if this is true or not. Understand this, if we were meant to know about Tsukasa's mother I think they would of made her a major character. The point of the story is Tsukasa. Still, it is about his past too. It will probably never come clear(Tsukasa's path) But it's certainly interesting to think of Tsukasa's mother.

P.S. In the episode "Party", is that really Tsukasa's mother?
dothacker1189

Post by dothacker1189 »

crosbie394 wrote:well, there is one flashback of tsukasa's where you see tsukasa and the father praying at a shrine for the mother, so imo, she died. Or it could have just been the memories morgana gave Tsukasa to make him want to stay in the world, as there is nothing waiting for him outside.
i dont really remember this scene which episode was it in
Wish Me Dead

Post by Wish Me Dead »

dothacker1189 wrote:
crosbie394 wrote:well, there is one flashback of tsukasa's where you see tsukasa and the father praying at a shrine for the mother, so imo, she died. Or it could have just been the memories morgana gave Tsukasa to make him want to stay in the world, as there is nothing waiting for him outside.
i dont really remember this scene which episode was it in
It was in one of the first couple of episodes.
Bearer of the braclet

Post by Bearer of the braclet »

I think that his mother is dead.
mentis

Post by mentis »

Well, I feel like I'm just reiterating, but...

that episode does indeed have a scene where Tsukasa says that his mother is dead. I Suppose I could go back and actually quote it here, but I'm too lazy. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Furthermore, to my understanding, the shrine at which Tsukasa and her father are praying are only used in Japan at funerals.

If I'm wrong, though I don't believe I am :P, I'm sure somebody will correct me.
kitedragon

Post by kitedragon »

Yeah, it's true that Tsukasa's mother is most likely dead. And the flashbacks are probably true, considering one of the things that Tsukasa says in the first episode is: "Maybe, it's better to stay in The World." Or something along those lines. And did anybody notice how Tsukasa is sort of like a tom boy in some ways? I can't really find anything to edit. And when SIGN first came out in America, it was rumored on the web that:
 Tsukasa's mother died early in Tsukasa's life. Possibly even in childbirth.
Tsukasa's father was abusive, and hated her for being a girl.
Tsukasa was a loner (obviously) who had good grades.

Of course, these are all rumors with little or no fact to prove it.
mentis

Post by mentis »

I disagree that they are no facts to prove this. It seems quite clear that...
 The flashbacks are indeed accurate because they serve to develop Tsukasa's character as someone who does not wish to live in the real world, thus making the choice not to log out. There are scenes with Tsukasa and her mother in these flashbacks.

Her father was indeed abusive, which is clear from these flashbacks, providing another reason (perhaps the primary one) for why Tsukasa does not wish to "log out."

Part of the reason why her father is mistreating Tsukasa is exactly due to the fact that she is a girl. The man is an alcoholic and must have wanted a son, but things didn't turn out that way. So he blames Tsukasa for all of his own shortcomings and problems.

This seems quite evident from the Sign series.
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

Tsukasa's mother is dead. That's very obvious for three reasons.

One, the flashbacks. You never see any flashbacks of his mother except for him sitting next to his father in front of a 'shrine' (or whatever they call it) for his mother at her funeral.

Two, he thinks that the ominous voice is his mother. Remember? "Who are you?" "You should know who I am and why I don't appear before you." Or something along those lines. Tsukasa thought it was his mother because she was dead and unseen. A 'spirit' I guess.

Three, he flat out says "She's dead" while Tsukasa, Mimiru, and Bear are on that event quest.

Now, Tsukasa's mother couldn't have died at childbirth because we clearly see him and his father at her funeral when he was small. Now, he had to have been at least 3 in that flashback and the last time I checked, most people don't wait 3 years after someone dies to have a funeral. So I dount that. My guess would be that she died from some kind diseas or virus. Cancer maybe. After she died, Tsukasa's father started drinking to numb the pain (as a lot of people unfortunately do) and while he was intoxicated, he would take out all his anguish and sadness on Tsukasa. He hated her   because he was really a girl. Maybe he was just looking for a way to blame Tsukasa or to feel convince himself that it was someone's fault rather than accepting the fact that she's dead. Or maybe he just didn't want Tsukasa. A lot of families in eastern countries take great pride in having a son and are (sometimes) disappointed when they have a daughter. This could only be one of many reasons why he didn't like 'him.' I don't have any proof to back it up though, this is all theoretical.

And because of this abuse and sense of loss, Tsukasa felt abandoned. Everyone around 'him' never tried to comfort 'him' or help 'him' when 'he' needed it the most. That kind of social and emotional isolation made Tsukasa cynical and ruined any kind of trust 'he' had in the real world. After that, 'he' became a loner. Wanting to run away from all the problems, to be in 'his' own little hiding place to be by 'himself' without others bothering 'him.'

Sadly the story of how addication destroyed family, and scarred the innocent ones in it.
mentis

Post by mentis »

S1lentOp wrote:One, the flashbacks. You never see any flashbacks of his mother except for him sitting next to his father in front of a 'shrine' (or whatever they call it) for his mother at her funeral.
That is actually not true... There is a flashback where Tsukasa and her mother are sitting at the table (and, what I believe is a training bra, lies on the table top) where we see the father come in angrily and know the items on the table to the floor while yelling.
After she died, Tsukasa's father started drinking to numb the pain (as a lot of people unfortunately do) and while he was intoxicated, he would take out all his anguish and sadness on Tsukasa. He hated her   because he was really a girl. Maybe he was just looking for a way to blame Tsukasa or to feel convince himself that it was someone's fault rather than accepting the fact that she's dead. Or maybe he just didn't want Tsukasa. A lot of families in eastern countries take great pride in having a son and are (sometimes) disappointed when they have a daughter. This could only be one of many reasons why he didn't like 'him.' I don't have any proof to back it up though, this is all theoretical.
In light of the flashback just described... the father did not begin to feel this way after Tsukasa's mother had passed away, but was violent and abusive even during the mother's lifetime.
Sadly the story of how addication destroyed family, and scarred the innocent ones in it.
As evidenced in this post, this may not necessarily be due to alcoholism, but due to actual mental instability on the fathers part. It is unclear whether alcohol was a factor prior to the traumatic events regarding Tsukasa.[/spoiler]
S1lentOp

Post by S1lentOp »

mentis wrote:That is actually not true... There is a flashback where Tsukasa and her mother are sitting at the table (and, what I believe is a training bra, lies on the table top) where we see the father come in angrily and know the items on the table to the floor while yelling.
I don't remember anything about 'his' mother being in that... I remember Tsukasa, but I don't remember ever seeing a nother woman or a training bra on it.
In light of the flashback just described... the father did not begin to feel this way after Tsukasa's mother had passed away, but was violent and abusive even during the mother's lifetime.
Once again, I don't remember ever seeing him being abusive before 'his' mother's death. Can you give me an episode where you see these flashbacks?
As evidenced in this post, this may not necessarily be due to alcoholism, but due to actual mental instability on the fathers part. It is unclear whether alcohol was a factor prior to the traumatic events regarding Tsukasa.[/spoiler]
Is that why everytime you see him abusing 'him' he's got a alcoholic drink in his hand? He's drunk in all the flashbacks where he's abusive. I'm not saying that he didn't have a screw loose (because he tried to kill her), but to say that alcohol wasnt a major reason for his behavior is just plain gullibility.
mentis

Post by mentis »

Well, I am 100% positive about this particular flashback being there, because it is very key. Perhaps someone will know the exact episode where this is located, since I am not going to rewatch the whole series to discover this info. I assure you that it is just as I have described.
Shinsou Wotan

Post by Shinsou Wotan »

mentis wrote: That is actually not true... There is a flashback where Tsukasa and her mother are sitting at the table (and, what I believe is a training bra, lies on the table top) where we see the father come in angrily and know the items on the table to the floor while yelling.
I believe you are misinterpreting the scene rather badly.
What I see there is  Tsukasa sitting across a table from a uniformed woman. On the table are a few items, with price tags still attached. From offscreen, there is the sound of a door opening, and footsteps approaching. Then we see Tsukasa's father, who slaps her, and the items that were on the table fall to the floor. Given the context (shortly after Tsukasa reveals in conversation with Crim that someone hits her, saying things like "it's for your own good" or "this is because you're bad") I find the scene very easy to interpret. Tsukasa was caught shoplifting, and her father was not pleased when store security called him and told him to come get his daughter.
mentis

Post by mentis »

Okay, I must admit that I did not consider that scene to be conveying that particular situation and that information. But, given the fact that for so long I was interpreting it the way I described above, and my certainty of it, I think the possibility still exists.

I perceived the scene to mean what I have noted previously for two reasons. First, I saw the setting of the scene to be the kitchen table of Tsukasa's home, and it did not appear to me to be a place outside of their home. And secondly, I assumed that the female figure was Tsukasa's mother, and the fact that she was wearing a uniform simply meant that she was a working woman (as there are numerous professions requireing uniforms in Japan), and not an officer of some sort.

I can certainly see your interpretation as being at least equally valid, and I am beginning to think that it may be the correct one. I am not, however, entirely convinced yet ;).
Rental Daughter
BURRNN MY BREEADD
BURRNN MY BREEADD

Post by Rental Daughter »

I believe Tsukasa's mother passed away...
Shinsou Wotan wrote:
mentis wrote: That is actually not true... There is a flashback where Tsukasa and her mother are sitting at the table (and, what I believe is a training bra, lies on the table top) where we see the father come in angrily and know the items on the table to the floor while yelling.
I believe you are misinterpreting the scene rather badly.
What I see there is  Tsukasa sitting across a table from a uniformed woman. On the table are a few items, with price tags still attached. From offscreen, there is the sound of a door opening, and footsteps approaching. Then we see Tsukasa's father, who slaps her, and the items that were on the table fall to the floor. Given the context (shortly after Tsukasa reveals in conversation with Crim that someone hits her, saying things like "it's for your own good" or "this is because you're bad") I find the scene very easy to interpret. Tsukasa was caught shoplifting, and her father was not pleased when store security called him and told him to come get his daughter.
*finishes reading everything* wow...that's a good theory...I never thought of it that way...I knew that was with some police officer or something but I was confused about the Father coming in and slapping Tsukasa...what you said now makes sense ^^ (I thought Tsukasa was running away -_-)
mentis

Post by mentis »

I'm still not convinced that...
 ...the woman was not Tsukasa's mother. I say this, because from my limited knowledge of the Japanese people, they do not with to disclose the internal family problems to strangers. Along this line of thinking, why would Tsukasa's father act so violently in front of a police officer, or some other security officer? Not only would this be wrong in terms of ettiquette, but he would be risking charges for hitting his child, no?

Hence I still believe that there is a possibility that this female character is in fact Tsukasa's mother, as, once again, many vocations in Japan make use of uniforms, not jus the police.