Data Draining The Bonus Boss: IMPOSSIBLE!

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 3 and 4

Moderator: Moderators

MidnightMeadows

Data Draining The Bonus Boss: IMPOSSIBLE!

Post by MidnightMeadows »

I'm wondering if someone can tell me what the hell might possibly be going on here.
I'm trying to get the last rare twin-blade weapon: the Golden Yasha.
I've plowed my way through the bonus dungeon you're given at the end of Outbreak three times now, and fought the Black Death monster at the end three times.

All three times I've fought him, I've watched his HP get lower and lower and lower until it's almost at zero and I cannot get a Protect Break!

I have used the strategy of casting Beast Bane on him to remove the magical tolerance, and then setting my allies (BlackRose and Balmung) on him while I heal and cast Lanceor CH.
But once I start chiseling away at his HP, I have no chance to Data Drain him since he never gets Protect Break!!!

Alternatively, I fought him without using any magic and without using a Beast Bane, and he still didn't get Protect Break.

Why is this happening?
Am I doing something wrong?
What's going on!?
robinton19

Post by robinton19 »

Supposedly, you can DD him. Get rid of his magic protect several times, and hit him with magic until you can DD. I haven't been able to do it, but that's what the FAQ's all say
Snake

Post by Snake »

I don't think you can DD him. It seems impossible even I tried it but never happens then ok skrew it.
MidnightMeadows

robinton19 wrote:Supposedly, you can DD him. Get rid of his magic protect several times, and hit him with magic until you can DD. I haven't been able to do it, but that's what the FAQ's all say
I tried it a 4th time last night, where I only used magic attacks and the occasional physical attack. He still wouldn't Protect Break...

Maybe it's a glitch in the actual game, with the CD or something?
Think I should go get a new one?
Snake

Post by Snake »

It's not a glitch. I guess they're just making it hard because You'll get a cool *** item if you do.
xeno

Post by xeno »

I saw the chance to data drain him, but I foolish;y didnt take it, I had a combo of alot of physical attacks and magic but 60% magic, sio it is possible to data drain him
Last edited by xeno on Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laysh
Sage of Earth
Sage of Earth

Post by laysh »

I have never been able to either but you are suppose to protect break by magic.
kite27

Post by kite27 »

:D ok well i know none of you will believe this but this is 100% true, i fought that monster a few times and i couldnt DD him but then once i went to use a recovery spell and clicked to fast and to far and accidentally pressed on Data Drain i didnt see a protect break or anything i just tried to finish it again so i could start over again but it worked i DD it and got the item. :D

like i said none of you probobly beleive this right??? :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol:
MidnightMeadows

kite27 wrote:i went to use a recovery spell and clicked to fast and to far and accidentally pressed on Data Drain i didnt see a protect break or anything i just tried to finish it again so i could start over again but it worked i DD it and got the item. :D

like i said none of you probobly beleive this right??? :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol:
Hmm.. It's worth a shot.. I'll try again and keep checking the skills window every 2 secs or so.

Maybe the glitch is that the Protect Break animation just isn't appearing with this particular monster model....
Zak

Post by Zak »

Alright, DDing the Black Death is very hard, but not impossible. I've done it three times before.

You MUST use magic on it, and try to avoid physically attacking as much as possible. In which case you should bring a Wavemaster (preferrably Wiseman... I think he's your only option). Anyway, with the Cygnus rod being Outbreak's most powerful Wavemaster weapon, and the Black Death being of the Fire Element, A lot of Merrows Rf would be perfect. However, of course you need either the Beast Banes or the Dek Vorma spell. If you're using Beast Banes, I suggest getting about five for this battle. It takes FOREVER to get them to actually work, it evades a lot... but it's not impossible, just takes time. And of course you might need to use them again if it runs out.

Another thing, Rig Gaem on Wiseman would certainly help you kill it faster to Protect Break. The Golden Yasha is one kickass weapon. Amazing on Earth element monsters.

~Zak
forever living

Post by forever living »

it takes a long time but it is possiable.... take off the magical barrier about 30 something times... its been awhile since i did it though.... i know it took more that an hour to defete it...
Dark Blade

Post by Dark Blade »

Zak i like your idea but the best weapon for a wave master in outbreak (in my opinion) is Tsukasa's wand. It has 3 lv. 2 summon spells.
Zak

Post by Zak »

Dark Blade wrote:Zak i like your idea but the best weapon for a wave master in outbreak (in my opinion) is Tsukasa's wand. It has 3 lv. 2 summon spells.
Yeah, I was referring to the Cygnus Rod as being the highest normal wand in Outbreak, you know, on the scale... But the Cygnus Rod has Merrows Ch and Rf (Lv 2 AND 3), as far as I can remember, and Merrows is the summon you want since that's it's Elemental weakness.
But if Tsukasa's Wand has that as one of their summons, then sure, go for it. I haven't played in a while so I forget if it does, but if they're all level TWO (Ch)like you said, use the Cygnus Rod. It has a Lv 3 Merrows Rf.

~Zak
Dark Blade

Post by Dark Blade »

hmmmmm ........ point taken. A lvl 3 summon is better ...... but i prefer it because it adds more to the magic attack (i think .... ill check later) .... and i also like BT's wand cause it has a 20 attack parameter ^_^ so your wavemaster can attack in an emergency and actually DO damage ..... plus i beleive it has a lv. 4 water spell on it. ill list the skills later.
Gage100

Post by Gage100 »

I DD'ed him easily. I was lvl 77 and I used Twin Dragons on him.
Zak

Post by Zak »

Dark Blade wrote:hmmmmm ........ point taken. A lvl 3 summon is better ...... but i prefer it because it adds more to the magic attack (i think .... ill check later) .... and i also like BT's wand cause it has a 20 attack parameter ^_^ so your wavemaster can attack in an emergency and actually DO damage ..... plus i beleive it has a lv. 4 water spell on it. ill list the skills later.
There are no level 4 spells in outbreak, to my knowledge...

~Zak
Dot-Hack-Rocks

Post by Dot-Hack-Rocks »

me too, i was just happy with the lvl. 3 summoning because i knew that was the highest i could get.
Kyle1818

Post by Kyle1818 »

hay, i finaly dd it when i started a new game, on my first try i used magic attacks on it and it protection broke(and this was after about 10 other tries on my other game befor i finaly gave up). The golden yasha is a good weapon but you realy don't want to use it at the begining of Quarintine with all of the wood monsters around.(so anoying :evil: )

and for the spell level, you can only get up to lv.3 in Outbreak and up to lv.4 in Quarintine.(it seems like only Wavemasters can have lv.4 spells, but im not to shuer)
Zak

Post by Zak »

Not just the summons. Anything starting with "Pha" or "Phal", i.e. PhaVak Don, PhaJuk Zot, etc.
To my knowledge those are only in Quarantine. Not even any scrolls have them. In fact, no scrolls at all have them... scrolls only go up to Lv3 magic, and summon scrolls only go up to Lv2!

EDIT: And yes, only Wavemaster attacks go up to level four. However, all classes are able to use magic, so there's no such thing really as a "Wavemaster exclusive" attack. But only magic spells go up to level four. Physical skills (which are each exclusive for their respective class, except Wavemaster) go to level three.

However, if you think really hard, I guess there are some level four magic spells that only exist on wands and nowhere else. And let's not forget Stuck?. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get someone like Kite to use a Pha summon. All of them can be used in the first two levels via scrolls, of course. And there are two ways for a non-Wavemaster to use a level 3 summon: Vulcan Rf found on "Prepare to Die" twin blade, and Yarthkins Rf found on "Celestial Robe" light body armor. But those are both in Quarantine anyway.
Of course there are some Pha non-summons found on some high-level light armor.

~Zak
Kyle1818

Post by Kyle1818 »

hay were is the Stuck? summon anyway i cant find it.