Quarantine $$$$$$$$$

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 3 and 4

Moderator: Moderators

Kite

Quarantine $$$$$$$$$

Post by Kite »

Im collecting the old series all over again but, i have one question about Quarantine . why is it so expensive ?!?!!!!
ihave heard two theories but i don't know if they are real .
1) as the original games went on they made less copies each game Quarantine being the least . supply and demand
2) digimon collectors bought and horded the games due to some of the original digimon cast did voice work .
currently the lowest price for Quarantine is 52 $ to 210 $ .
gamestop sells the game for 34.99 $ when in stock .
the closest gamestop to me has one copy (in louisiana ) . the next closest is in freaking mississippi .
answers please
nobodyknows
Resident cynic
Resident cynic

Re: Quarantine $$$$$$$$$

Post by nobodyknows »

It's because it's a rarity:

The price for games like ZoE: the 2nd Runner when sold via online retailers is dictated almost solely by how hard the game is to come by.
However, High-Street retailers work slightly differently, given that to them, a second hand game is a second hand game regardless of how rare it is. They tend to sell such games at a much cheaper price than on the internet, simply because they don't care about the 'collector's value', for all they know it's either just a good game, a mediocre game, or a bad game.
Popularity also comes into play with certain retailers, but going into that would require me to assume a bunch of stuff about the retailers that I don't necessarily want to, so I won't go into that.
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

I remember it has something to do with economics. Was it for less supply, more demand? The higher the price. EDIT: It could also be related to Link. .hack is in its last season of creation, because of that sellers might raise the price on the series because its end makes now the ideal time to work for the consumers.
Zeroke

Post by Zeroke »

I heard about how they jacked up the price because of low supply (like you had mentioned, Kite). I found a copy of the game at my local gamestop, and immediately bought it. Though it frustrates me very much how it didn't come with the Liminality disk, original cover, and the game disk itself was badly scratched. "I paid $35 for THIS?" is what ran through my mind as I took it home with me. I was actually tempted to buy it for $52 on amazon if it meant obtaining it in good condition. At least I now have it, though it's condition still gets to me. I have tried looking for a site to copy off the original cover, but to no results. :(

Anyway I am not sure what the reason/s could be, but the ones posted here do sound valid (that digimon one though sounds strange, though. Puts "hardcore" into definition).
databug

Post by databug »

you see that in new zealand as well with all the .hack// games released in Pal as in new zealand the first 2 games weren't released here so all were imports, so the value is high and you never see them for sale as well because they are great games and collectors keep them :)
Kite

Post by Kite »

well i dont have to worry anymore got the game with everything better than new at gamestop for 34.99 + discount =). only prob is whoever bought the game new slashed the plastic cover when opening it. but thats a easy fix
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Kite wrote:well i dont have to worry anymore got the game with everything better than new at gamestop for 34.99 + discount =). only prob is whoever bought the game new slashed the plastic cover when opening it. but thats a easy fix
That happens to me with EVERYTHING that comes inside a little plastic bag thingy. Games, manga, etc. I'm a FAIL at opening them XDD
Good to hear that you have Quarantine now though!!! :D

I didn't exactly have a problem regarding the cost of Quarantine itself...It was about $20 or so for me. The problem was in finding it. "Rare" doesn't truly describe it D8
hidora

Post by hidora »

I don't remember for how much I bought it, but took me 1 year and 3 months of searching to find it =X