Bracelet's Effect

Discuss the original .hack video games: Vol. 3 and 4

Moderator: Moderators

Tack

Bracelet's Effect

Post by Tack »

So for those who have dared it, what DOES happen when you get full infection? Does it destroy your save data like they say it does, or is it just game over?

of course if the former happens, you could just stick it on another memory card just in case...
Tolby

Re: Bracelet's Effect

Post by Tolby »

Just a game over, though .hack would probably be legendary if it destroyed your game data. That would be awesome.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

That reminds me of what Kojima was originally planning with Metal Gear Solid 3, where your save data would have been just plain gone if you lost. That would have driven people crazy...
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Kuukai wrote:That reminds me of what Kojima was originally planning with Metal Gear Solid 3, where your save data would have been just plain gone if you lost. That would have driven people crazy...
How? Simply from a game over or at a special place or special difficult or what? O-O
Though that reminds me i was honestly so freaked out with Metal Gear Solid 1 when i first played it (i was 11 years old at most then). Psycho Mantis' "mind reading" and Ocelot's "USE TURBO AND I'LL KNOWZ!11!!" scared me to the point i didn't even think on just what they could do to me...i just preferred to not test them.

Anyways, i found out about the Bracelet's "side effects" the hard way while doing the last dungeon in Quarantine, for you have a 80% or so chance of getting the highest possible infection. And yeah, when you do a Data Drain while at highest infection, you have a chance of suffering one of these effects:
-Losing EXP, usually enough to lose a level
-Losing money
-Losing item(s)
-Instant Game Over (System Error message and then you see the main menu of the game)

So yeah, even though the game kinda tells you you're so screwed if you ever dare to get your infection level too high...the worst that can happen is simply a game over. For Kite himself though, he'd probably end up with all his The World data corrupted and in a coma...or something that awful. Whatever it is, it's something that won't be fixed by simply loading your latest save data.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

TheSorrow wrote:
Kuukai wrote:That reminds me of what Kojima was originally planning with Metal Gear Solid 3, where your save data would have been just plain gone if you lost. That would have driven people crazy...
How? Simply from a game over or at a special place or special difficult or what? O-O
Though that reminds me i was honestly so freaked out with Metal Gear Solid 1 when i first played it (i was 11 years old at most then). Psycho Mantis' "mind reading" and Ocelot's "USE TURBO AND I'LL KNOWZ!11!!" scared me to the point i didn't even think on just what they could do to me...i just preferred to not test them.
Actually, the whole game. Basically, saving would exit the game and you could resume later, but game over would destroy the save and there'd be no continue option. It would definitely make you think twice about not sneaking, but it would be kinda ridiculous for a couple of the boss battles... Freaking you out is an envelope this guy likes to push...
Tack

Post by Tack »

Kuukai wrote:
TheSorrow wrote:
Actually, the whole game. Basically, saving would exit the game and you could resume later, but game over would destroy the save and there'd be no continue option. It would definitely make you think twice about not sneaking, but it would be kinda ridiculous for a couple of the boss battles... Freaking you out is an envelope this guy likes to push...
Damn, Kojima-san's a badass! :lol: :lol: :lol:
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

A game that can terminate your save data on a game over.....orgasmic. :O
hidora

Post by hidora »

Holy ****, If Kojima had gone through with that idea I would never dare to play MGS 3 D:
I have such a bad luck in that game >_<
TheSorrow wrote:Anyways, i found out about the Bracelet's "side effects" the hard way while doing the last dungeon in Quarantine, for you have a 80% or so chance of getting the highest possible infection. And yeah, when you do a Data Drain while at highest infection, you have a chance of suffering one of these effects:
-Losing money
-Losing item(s)
-Instant Game Over (System Error message and then you see the main menu of the game)

So yeah, even though the game kinda tells you you're so screwed if you ever dare to get your infection level too high...the worst that can happen is simply a game over.
IMO, losing EXP at higher levels (Lv95+) is worse than a Game Over >_>
Tack

Post by Tack »

hidora wrote:Holy ****, If Kojima had gone through with that idea I would never dare to play MGS 3 D:
I have such a bad luck in that game >_<
TheSorrow wrote:Anyways, i found out about the Bracelet's "side effects" the hard way while doing the last dungeon in Quarantine, for you have a 80% or so chance of getting the highest possible infection. And yeah, when you do a Data Drain while at highest infection, you have a chance of suffering one of these effects:
-Losing money
-Losing item(s)

So yeah, even though the game kinda tells you you're so screwed if you ever dare to get your infection level too high...the worst that can happen is simply a game over.
IMO, losing EXP at higher levels (Lv95+) is worse than a Game Over >_>
Second on that, I had to data drain a BOSS and my reward was losing my level 99 spot. Yeah you can go level again, but that's besides the point. :?
coslink

Post by coslink »

The developers would get a lot of complaints, wuld be awsome though
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Exp is so easy to get in .hack it isn't even funny. I guess it would suck if you lost a level on the last monster before a boss, but even then one level shouldn't make that big of a difference.

Only thing about exp loss that annoyed me is that Blackrose or Balmung would pass me in exp if it happened too much. Damn them.
hidora

Post by hidora »

Tolby wrote:Exp is so easy to get in .hack it isn't even funny. I guess it would suck if you lost a level on the last monster before a boss, but even then one level shouldn't make that big of a difference.
Well, yeah, but if you lose too much EXP at higher Lvs, you might want to reset the ps2.

Good luck getting all those 600 EXP back when you've been reduced from Lv99 to 98, since The Bracelet gives only 40 EXP to a Lv98 character, and IIRC is the only enemy that gives more than 1 EXP at that point.