Subliminal Messages In Net Slum BGM?

Doot Doot

Subliminal Messages In Net Slum BGM?

Post by Doot Doot »

New on this forum, so forgive my "noobish" ways if posting on the wrong board, and etc. I came across this forum when searching for lines from the hidden message in the Net Slum BGM; someone had part of it in their signature. Initially, I joined to search for anymore info on this "subliminal" message, but to no avail. If someone can shed some light on this mystery, I'd appreciate it. I found the message hidden in the audio files of the old .hack game discs. I was scouring the files to look for certain SFX for other things some time back when I came across this one; it's an isolated voice that says the following lines:
Hello there, Mister. I'm Cedric. And he'll fetch it for you in no time at all; in fact, you only have to relax. S(?) on rye bread, with a delicious relish sauce. Cedric will cook it himself. But that's not all Cedric can do.
Here's the clip as ripped straight from the game files if you want to hear it yourself.

In my experiences with .hack (which I'm familiar with everything up til the GU era), I can't recall a character named Cedric, or even a minor NPC in either the games or anime for that matter. A friend mentioned Net Slum (I happen to be an oddball Net Slum fanatic), and I can't recall any Net Slum characters that said that; although, the audio files I had looked thru were divided into a bunch of small parts; so familiar BGMs might appear in many pieces of chords and beats in the game files. So, I decided to take a closer look at the Net Slum BGM by first slowing it down to half speed (since the voices in the music seem to be sped up). It appears that these same lines are contained within the BGM; at half speed, the lines can be understood just like in the clip that I ripped, but they're also mixed in with slightly faster or slightly slower versions of the clip; this makes the effect of the different voices in the BGM.

I'd be willing to provide an MP3 of the half-speed version of the BGM that I saved, but I need the "ok" first because I don't want to potentially violate the forum policies. Same goes for the original Net Slum BGM, but yet again, I don't want to risk making a bad first impression by getting in trouble XD

I found a copy of the Net Slum BGM on Youtube, though.

This is kinda driving me nuts; now I can't listen to the Net Slum BGM at normal speed without hearing the "Cedric" lines... kinda like when you read the lyrics to a song that was previously unintelligible to you, and hear the song again afterward.

Even out of experimental electronica artist instinct, I made a short mix using it. Sucks, I know, it was quick and one of my earlier works at that XD

Anyway, I can't figure out what exactly this is referencing, so I'd be interested in any thoughts on it.

BTW, I don't feel entirely awkward posting on this forum as a newbie because I found out there's a few Kyat people drifting around here. Helbaworshipper's even a mod, but I doubt she'd remember me, lol... anymore Kyat people here?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: Subliminal Messages In Net Slum BGM?

Post by Kuukai »

Welcome to the site! No, you're in the right place. Thanks for posting, since not much is coming out it's been awhile since we had an interesting new .hack topic like this. Posting a slowed-down, partial clip is actually probably more in line with the law and the ethics of our site than posting a Youtube link.

That said, I'm just as lost as you. Who's signature was it in?
Doot Doot

Re: Subliminal Messages In Net Slum BGM?

Post by Doot Doot »

Oh, here we go, the user was "The Anaconda". This is the thread I saw that user's signature in that lead me to here.

Partial clip, you said? Coming right up... here's around a minute from the beginning of the Net Slum BGM. Feel free to compare with the "normal" sped-up version:

Here's the BGM slowed down to around half the normal speed.

Be warned, though: Even the most fun music tends to sound pretty creepy when slowed down XD