So what's next? (Spoilers)

Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

So what's next? (Spoilers)

Post by Kuukai »

.hack//bullet will run until late Summer at the absolute earliest (if it suddenly ran at the fastest pace imaginable). Thanatos Report left off in an undeniable cliffhanger. There's been no talk from CC2 about what else to expect from the 3rd Season (I guess they said Guilty Dragon is "going to start having more of a story kinda" but I'll believe that when I see it), but it seems reasonable to believe it's still alive and well since they haven't said otherwise. .hack has had its lulls, and the 3rd Season especially, but CC2 always seems to be cooking something up when things are the quietest. Putting what we want aside, what do people think is going to happen? More novel installments? OVA followup? Another movie? Will the story ever conclude? Will Aura finally have a happy ending? Will we ever learn more about Erna, the woman why may have posed as Emma? Will Aura have to fight her own destiny? Is Mama still a significant threat? Did Tanaka's coma experience lead to where he is now? What the hell is the 13th Bansyoya file? Are they just going to leave Thanatos Report open-ended and left to fans' interpretation, or do you think they'll answer these questions? It's crazy that they can have a monthly talkshow where they chatter about .hack for an hour and yet there hasn't been a peep about any of these topics.
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Re: So what's next? (Spoilers)

Post by Erroneous »

I feel .hack had taken a more serious turn with the latest season. I honestly think they may up and try for a comic-relief style and lead up to something else before they get back and focus on the storyline. Sort of a rest from the main story and give the plot a rest like how Legend of the Twilight did. But who knows.

Also by chance anyone translate the .hack// Channel video discussions?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

There's not enough substance for them to really be worth translating, at least in my opinion. It's mostly stuff we already know.
Kazetrigger

Post by Kazetrigger »

I really want to know who Kite's player is. I think the series ought to be concluded soon. As much as I love .hack, I don't like it when companies try to milk things for all they're worth. .hack started over 10 years ago, so I think they ought to find a way to tie everything together by the end of season three which I think should end by 2014.

It would be great if Kite somehow came back into the picture (as the real player) and maybe he had a hand in bringing it all to an end.

But in terms of what I think will happen, I believe that we'll discover how Mama all fits into this and I think a final manga or film will answer the .hack//The Movie cliffhanger. I feel like we know what enough info to comprehend the overall story. There are now only a few major questions (there are still tons of little ones, but we can probably do without knowing those).
Erroneous
Complaint Department
Complaint Department

Post by Erroneous »

Kazetrigger wrote:I really want to know who Kite's player is.
It's been pointed out repeatedly, however .hack//Archives Volume 3 made it even clear and gratifying. Kite's offline name is "You" (points finger at viewer/reader).
.hack-fan7

Post by .hack-fan7 »

I really want to know who Kite's player is. I think the series ought to be concluded soon. As much as I love .hack, I don't like it when companies try to milk things for all they're worth. .hack started over 10 years ago, so I think they ought to find a way to tie everything together by the end of season three which I think should end by 2014.
i'm in complete agreement with this... like some other series it gets annoying that's for sure. let's hope they don't leave it so late people get bored :(
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

Have CC2 ever commented on sales of the movie/versus? They appear to be a real low point but could they have still been break-even or better for 'em? Who even funds all this stuff anyways? There's the whole conglomerate thing but if CC2 wants to make another game to the self-fund or get some bank from Bandai, etc? Like bullet... is it a coincidenece of low sales that its web-only? Could a physical version be planned at or near completion? As for whats gonna happen I think a movies not in the picture (to soon) an they should definetely end the series in game form. If they're sticking with the 3rd Season moniker an not going to a 4th yet (ever?) I think they'll stick with the Force Era setting since its gotten barely any screentime an they'll prolly keep progressing forward since there aren't any seemingly major gaps!
Insydius wrote:
Kazetrigger wrote:I really want to know who Kite's player is.
It's been pointed out repeatedly, however .hack//Archives Volume 3 made it even clear and gratifying. Kite's offline name is "You" (points finger at viewer/reader).
Soooo in a roundabout way we could say the protagonist/player of Versus was Kite?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

.hack//bullet started coming out before the blu-ray even shipped, so sales had nothing to do with it being a web novel. They probably did it that way to be more direct (fans don't need to buy a magazine to read it) or go at their own pace, but in general it's not like it's hard to get a couple of pages in Comptiq/Dengeki Maou/KeroKero Ace. Those magazines pay them for content. Matsuyama rambles in one of them every month. But CC2 has done free web novels (and other content) for fans before, this is just the first for .hack.

And I'm not even sure how sales look in the grand scheme of things. It's a >$100 giant game-book-movie-postcard set hybrid thing so it's hard to find something to compare it to. But for a low budget movie, they probably made their money back. They sold out of $100 books they printed in a run of 1,500, which indicates to me that they have a large fanbase and know how to make money. Just the profit off of that could probably fund some portion of the movie.

I don't really see a 4th season, the 3rd has been strongly indicated to be the end.

Kite's last name is clearly Tanaka.

Seriously though, the more I think of it the more Tanaka is the Haseo of this thing. There's something there, and we all know it, but everything that jumps to mind is too absurd to say aloud. And when all is said and done, he'll end up being one of those things. He moved from Tokyo, which rather than narrowing it down pretty much means he could be related to anyone.
SSJScygoku

Post by SSJScygoku »

My guess is they either make a console version of Guilty Dragon or a .hack// mobile game similar which the content can be updated, though if Guilty Dragon does have a big connection to .hack// then they could release an anime seeing as there exists a manga.

I'm hoping they make a PS3 or 4 .hack// game, cuts out the region locking like with Versus (unless PS4's decides to lock us out) and focus on Force Era. Maybe even an anime tie-in on another disc or a web series ^_^
(Phantom) Thief

Post by (Phantom) Thief »

Kuukai wrote:.hack//bullet will run until late Summer at the absolute earliest (if it suddenly ran at the fastest pace imaginable). Thanatos Report left off in an undeniable cliffhanger. There's been no talk from CC2 about what else to expect from the 3rd Season (I guess they said Guilty Dragon is "going to start having more of a story kinda" but I'll believe that when I see it), but it seems reasonable to believe it's still alive and well since they haven't said otherwise. .hack has had its lulls, and the 3rd Season especially, but CC2 always seems to be cooking something up when things are the quietest. Putting what we want aside, what do people think is going to happen? More novel installments? OVA followup? Another movie? Will the story ever conclude? Will Aura finally have a happy ending? Will we ever learn more about Erna, the woman why may have posed as Emma? Will Aura have to fight her own destiny? Is Mama still a significant threat? Did Tanaka's coma experience lead to where he is now? What the hell is the 13th Bansyoya file? Are they just going to leave Thanatos Report open-ended and left to fans' interpretation, or do you think they'll answer these questions? It's crazy that they can have a monthly talkshow where they chatter about .hack for an hour and yet there hasn't been a peep about any of these topics.
Tanaka will probably harmonize with Aura. I also believe the series will shift towards the opposite to real digitalization. The 13th Bansyoya file will probably reveal more on Erna and the fullness of mama plan's. At the moment though I guess the next series will be an anime. Man we really gotta find what happened to Bansyoya...
Keyaki

Post by Keyaki »

Kinda hard for me personally to try to predict what will happen next, seeing as how its still hard for me to understand wtf is going on now.

Though, if I had to say; I'd just prefer it to end on a settled ending. With Mama gone(mostly if not entirely) and Aura finally left alone for good so everyone can stop dancing on Harald's grave and The World will finally be the awesome MMORPG it used to be.
Lindz

Post by Lindz »

Ya know since Tanaka's apparently a doubleware and all I think CC2 could really do something different with another game if it starred him. I'm talking playing as him in the real world to meet peeps, uncover info, daily life stuff, an also logging into The World as his Gondo character to take care of business there as per past games. A Yakuza-sized town with places to enter and see doesn't seem like it'd be too much work. Just because he's a doubleware doesn't mean his story has ta focus on him being real digitalized after all. It'd be a great way to get to know a character(s) outside the context of The World. I imagine Gondo's high-leveled with lotsa good gear so they'd have to Haseo him or just have us start off at like L50 or whatevers and make the cap that much higher!

edit: I also expect a 3rd season Unison / Returner bringing Link, Quantum, Movie, etc characters together!
Adhemas

Post by Adhemas »

I'm talking playing as him in the real world to meet peeps, uncover info, daily life stuff, an also logging into The World as his Gondo character to take care of business there as per past games.
Yeah, this is what I hope for as well. What made .hack so special (or one of those things) was always the difference and combination of VR and RL. There are so many plottwists or secrets and hints they could add to a game when you play it as in-game and real world character.

P.S.: Since we are talking about it, what are they saying here?
http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/7048350.html

I just found this while I browsed Japanese websites. They are talking about some sort of new .hack game.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Matsuyama said yesterday that fans often ask for a remake on Vita or PS3 or PS4, but right now it's extremely hard to continue an original series like .hack on console systems. So apparently they aren't working on anything, but if Guilty Dragon is extremely successful and the publisher tells them, "hey, this thing is popular, make more .hack", they are to a certain extent planning what they would do, and have the will to continue it.
Adhemas

Post by Adhemas »

Thanks, I could only understand some parts of it. But shouldn't they already be aware of the popularity of Guilty Dragon (or the lack of it) since it was released around half a year ago in Japan?

Speaking of it, did they ever announce the release date for Guilty Dragon outside of Japan?
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

If it hasn't peaked yet... then no?

Nope.
MizuTakishima

Post by MizuTakishima »

I thought the movie was super refreshing, and even though the story was kinda predictable, I enjoyed every minute of it. I almost wanna say that even non-dot hack fans can probably watch it and still be able to follow along, which is a great plus if it ever gets licensed some day.

Anyway, in terms of what's gonna happen next, I have no clue. There's still a lot to .hack that I don't know since I haven't fully immersed myself with every piece of .hack media that's come out.

We'll probably get something a bit more cyberpunk, (more so than what we've been seeing) a bit more serious, a few more furry characters, and a few dashes of moe on the side. :)