Do the blue ray's have english sub?

nishibushi

Do the blue ray's have english sub?

Post by nishibushi »

Sorry if this topic has come up, i searched for it, but couldnt find anything. Also i assume this is the right section to ask this, seeing as its quantum related.

So i know its not english dubbed, but i am wondering if its english subbed like .hack//trillogy was? Mainly want to know before i spend a bunch importing it haha.

Thanks for any answers.
Shin Amakiir

Re: Do the blue ray's have english sub?

Post by Shin Amakiir »

I doubt it. Trilogy was translated after Bandai got the NA license. Only the really big things tend to have multi-lingual releases.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

In this case, no. And each disc costs like $50 anyway, I bought it and that was a bad move even if you know Japanese. I've never seen a series come with subs, though even an obscure movie *might* have them.
d5t

Post by d5t »

nishibushi wrote:Sorry if this topic has come up, i searched for it, but couldnt find anything. Also i assume this is the right section to ask this, seeing as its quantum related.

So i know its not english dubbed, but i am wondering if its english subbed like .hack//trillogy was? Mainly want to know before i spend a bunch importing it haha.

Thanks for any answers.
Yeah I've never heard of the Japanese production company subtitling a Japanese only release in English as an extra or whatever - they leave that up for localization licensing via various companies - in this case it is Bandai Entertainment for the U.S.
Shin Amakiir

Post by Shin Amakiir »

Actually, I've heard that Bakemonogatari had English subs, and I think there were a few others. It's not too common, though.
d5t

Post by d5t »

Shin Amakiir wrote:Actually, I've heard that Bakemonogatari had English subs, and I think there were a few others. It's not too common, though.
Interesting, that would definitely cannibalize into localization sales. I hope more companies get on the simulcast wagon, like what Crunchyroll/Hulu/Anime News Network is doing!
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

They don't care about cannibalization, if Americans buy their $50 discs it's far more profitable than licensing it out. Hence Bandai Visual's foray into obscenely overpriced North American DVDs, in what should have been Bandai Entertainment's market. Not that that succeeded at all, I'm just saying that if they found a way to do it they would. That aside, Quantum ep. 1 was recently streamed for free in Japan so I don't see why that couldn't happen here (aside from the fact that it probably just won't)... Streaming is certainly the future, though.

But in general English subtitles are just some sort of extra in Japan that've been included since DVDs started, even though back then region-locking would prevent export. It's common with major Japanese movies like Bayside Shakedown or Onmyouji and very, very, uncommon for anime, even major anime movies. There are exceptions (like Bakemonogatari and the Nanoha movie, and The World of Golden Eggs airs with English subtitles), and some things may change now that the region barrier is gone, but for the most part I buy a lot of Japanese anime blu-rays and I haven't seen this at all. Eva or Summer Wars would be my gold standard for the kind of major motion picture that should have these subtitles and I don't think either does. Quantum doesn't even have Japanese subtitles.
nishibushi

Post by nishibushi »

Ah ok thanks for all the reply guys, I wouldn’t have minded paying 50 bucks for each one, since .hack is coming to a close lol (Until 2025). Hm I thought i got my copy before the US release of trilogy, and the back of it is in Japanese with "6,800" yen on it, With Namco Bandai/Bandai visual on it, but I’m not sure lol.

Well hopefully we will see at least an English sub of quantum, along with the announcement for LINK localization xD.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Are you saying you have subs for trilogy? It's probably a bootleg. I have the bluray and it came with an artbook, loads of extras, and no subs except Japanese. Is the English perfect?
nishibushi

Post by nishibushi »

Kuukai wrote:Are you saying you have subs for trilogy? It's probably a bootleg. I have the bluray and it came with an artbook, loads of extras, and no subs except Japanese. Is the English perfect?
Ah I’m not really sure then. Hm I’m not sure I was more into the story, ignoring any mistakes that may have happened (if any happened).

Also the menu is in English(which would be odd seeing as the case is Japanese, but could be an auto thing with WMP) the picture on the disk doesn’t feel fake, and feels like it’s part of the disk itself, back of the disk is semi blue, but I know some dvd’s are like that. Part of the copy write is in Japanese on the outer edges of the disk as well, with English on the other half (Saying made in Japan)

The case is the transparent white, with the outside paper feeling legit. I think I got it before the English release, but it’s been a long time so I really don’t remember. I might just have to pick up Amazon’s one to compare it.

It also had no English voices

---Sorry for the late reply, got busy and forgot to respond to it xD
d5t

Post by d5t »

nishibushi wrote:
Kuukai wrote:Are you saying you have subs for trilogy? It's probably a bootleg. I have the bluray and it came with an artbook, loads of extras, and no subs except Japanese. Is the English perfect?
Ah I’m not really sure then. Hm I’m not sure I was more into the story, ignoring any mistakes that may have happened (if any happened).

Also the menu is in English(which would be odd seeing as the case is Japanese, but could be an auto thing with WMP) the picture on the disk doesn’t feel fake, and feels like it’s part of the disk itself, back of the disk is semi blue, but I know some dvd’s are like that. Part of the copy write is in Japanese on the outer edges of the disk as well, with English on the other half (Saying made in Japan)

The case is the transparent white, with the outside paper feeling legit. I think I got it before the English release, but it’s been a long time so I really don’t remember. I might just have to pick up Amazon’s one to compare it.

It also had no English voices

---Sorry for the late reply, got busy and forgot to respond to it xD
Interesting, sounds like a very good bootleg of a fansub release. Trilogy didn't get an English dub, BTW, just an official English translation.