On the "No Dub" Thingie...

A.R.T

On the "No Dub" Thingie...

Post by A.R.T »

Remember .hack//GIFT? We got but it was NEVER dubbed. Some say it was due to culture issues and that we wouldn't understand the jokes, but it was loved nonetheless and funny at that. I see this as our GIFT for G.U...fans were dissappointed that we did not get Japanese language with subtitles in the games, so maybe they thought "well, a lotta fans wanted nothing but Japanese with English subtitles so what the heck" or maybe they're just cutting corners. In any respect, maybe this is just an experiment to see if there is any sales difference. We'll see...as long as we get some IMOQ movie in the future, I don't care. What do y'all think?
_Tri-edge_

Re: On the "No Dub" Thingie...

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Well, other than the fact that Final Fantasy XIII's having the same problem, only in reverse, it's all a matter of the fans satisfaction and opinion. As quoted by one,

"the whole dubbed vs subbed thing is largely a result of the fact that you understand english and you most likely dont understand japanese. many americans generally have a good idea of what good and bad acting is in english. most americans have no clue what constitutes good and bad acting in japanese. admittedly, most english dubbing is just bad english acting. we know that because we speak english. but sometimes the japanese acting is just as bad, and most americans have no clue. they dont understand it so it doesnt sound as unpleasant to them. there are plenty americans who speak and/or understand japanese to a degree (myself included), but chances are most of them still wont know what good japanese acting is. its basically a big example of ignorance is bliss. and yea, i do like watching most things subbed, but at the same time i can definitely say some of the japanese acting is corny and terrible than its english counterpart"

Now imagine this, but switched around in Trilogy's situation. Basically, fans and their tastes fuel the effects and outcomes of most products in general.
d5t

Post by d5t »

A.R.T wrote:Remember .hack//GIFT? We got but it was NEVER dubbed. Some say it was due to culture issues and that we wouldn't understand the jokes, but it was loved nonetheless and funny at that. I see this as our GIFT for G.U...fans were dissappointed that we did not get Japanese language with subtitles in the games, so maybe they thought "well, a lotta fans wanted nothing but Japanese with English subtitles so what the heck" or maybe they're just cutting corners. In any respect, maybe this is just an experiment to see if there is any sales difference. We'll see...as long as we get some IMOQ movie in the future, I don't care. What do y'all think?
The CG movie is much bigger than a 24min OVA - and was a much bigger deal in Japan with its limited theater run and DVD/Bluray release. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone wants to watch subtitles and hear the original Japanese VA cast, especially if they're younger and can't read as fast as they appear on the screen (.hack has a young audience as well as a mix of hardcore gamers, anime fans and everything in between!) You might be right about the experiment - a lot of Anime companies are hopping on the streaming bandwagon w/ subtitles only (and English subbed simulcasts now). But in all honesty I think it has to do mostly with the economic conditions.
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Good, the little ones need to learn to read faster or no anime for them.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Yeah, I agree with d5t here. The huge difference is that .hack//G.U. Trilogy was a big production. For Bandai Entertainment not to create a dub for it must mean they can't afford to, which is a shame.
Terminus27

Post by Terminus27 »

dubbed or not, im buying Trilogy...only thing is, not all anime sold in the US is dubbed in the first place, so are they still marketing it here undubbed with subtitles?
d5t

Post by d5t »

Terminus27 wrote:dubbed or not, im buying Trilogy...only thing is, not all anime sold in the US is dubbed in the first place, so are they still marketing it here undubbed with subtitles?
There is no marketing for any .hack anime properties - just a press release to a few websites and a list of upcoming releases, which are sent to retailers

It has pretty much become de facto to have a dub and subtitle option, however there has been a subtle shift the last half a year or so... be it the economy or the lack of effort from studios to dub a niche anime with a smaller following.

In other words, Bandai Entertainment ain't not care much about it.
coslink

Post by coslink »

Good points.
Or maybe, they didn't dub becuase they wanted an "original Japanese" film perhaps? You can't blame a company for being nice, japanese, and dam right original! :3