ROOTS = Virus Cores

Midori

ROOTS = Virus Cores

Post by Midori »

So, something I've noticed while watching ROOTS, after playing G.U. is an oddity surrounding Virus Cores.

In G.U., Vol. 2 you got "Data Seeds" by using your avatar against AIDA. In Vol. 3 you got "Virus Cores" by using your Avatar Awakening on regular monsters in the field.

However, in .hack//ROOTS the Twilight Brigade was collecting Virus Cores, which opened the road from the Coite-Bodher Battlefield to Backtop City Megan Fi. That virus cores that opened the road.

However, in G.U. vol. 2 you used Data Seeds in the exact same way.

Was it simply an interpretational error?

Some interesting things to point out:

In Episode 4, Tawalaya recieves his yellow Virus Core from one of his scouts who did a job following a player. They recieved compensation for the job, and the virus core along with it. It was never revealed (to my knowledge) who the player was they were doing the job for.

When approached with the Virus Core, Naobi tells Tawalaya there were lots of them in the old game (which I'm guessing he is referring to R:1/IMOQ). Since he was Wiseman in the original games, and travelled with Kite, I guess he would know that. ^^'

However, when Ovan and Shino tell the Twilight Brigade to start hunting for Virus Cores, Shino does the training, and this is what she says:

Shino:
We need a virus core. It's a special item that can only be found in a Lost Ground.

Now, Shino whips out a virus core she has only seconds later. Where did she get it?

I remember it was in the .hack//G.U. Trilogy movie or the G.U.+ manga, that Shino was the original Innis user, right?

Now, it seems to me, its either of two possibilities:

1) Ovan is using his Avatar to extract virus cores and is leaving them for the Brigade to find, leading them on with false infromation such as "they can only be found in a lost ground". (we know he's already activated his avatar, because he created the Twilight Brigade to look for the Key of Twilight, and save his sister Aina, at which point he awakened)

2) Someone else is leaving the virus cores for the Twilight Brigade and TaN ot find, hoping ot stir things up

So, I don't know. It certainly is an oddity of difference between the games and the ROOTS anime. I mean, in the anime they used Virus Cores, which were items that were outiside the specs, randomly found in Lost Grounds, that were then used to open the road to Megan Fi in Coite-Bodher, but in the games they used Data Seeds, which came from AIDA to open the road, and virus cores were extracted from monsters to level up Lost Weapons, right? xP

I wish I could sort out the differences. Are they interchangeable? Can both Data Seeds and Virus cores open the road to Megan Fi, or did the area itself change?
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Re: ROOTS = Virus Cores

Post by AuraTwilight »

So, something I've noticed while watching ROOTS, after playing G.U. is an oddity surrounding Virus Cores.

In G.U., Vol. 2 you got "Data Seeds" by using your avatar against AIDA. In Vol. 3 you got "Virus Cores" by using your Avatar Awakening on regular monsters in the field.

However, in .hack//ROOTS the Twilight Brigade was collecting Virus Cores, which opened the road from the Coite-Bodher Battlefield to Backtop City Megan Fi. That virus cores that opened the road.

However, in G.U. vol. 2 you used Data Seeds in the exact same way.

Was it simply an interpretational error?
No, it's just that they have similar properties for certain things. I'm sure the pillars at Coite-Bodher are programmed with a statement like "Accept X amount of matching Illegal Items" or something.
In Episode 4, Tawalaya recieves his yellow Virus Core from one of his scouts who did a job following a player. They recieved compensation for the job, and the virus core along with it. It was never revealed (to my knowledge) who the player was they were doing the job for.

When approached with the Virus Core, Naobi tells Tawalaya there were lots of them in the old game (which I'm guessing he is referring to R:1/IMOQ). Since he was Wiseman in the original games, and travelled with Kite, I guess he would know that. ^^'

However, when Ovan and Shino tell the Twilight Brigade to start hunting for Virus Cores, Shino does the training, and this is what she says:

"We need a virus core. It's a special item that can only be found in a Lost Ground."

Now, Shino whips out a virus core she has only seconds later. Where did she get it?
A Lost Ground, obviously. Remember, people were falling into Outer Dungeons just by examining the walls and crap.
I remember it was in the .hack//G.U. Trilogy movie or the G.U.+ manga, that Shino was the original Innis user, right?
Yes, but she never Awakened, and thus never got to use her power for anything, or learn about it.
Now, it seems to me, its either of two possibilities:

1) Ovan is using his Avatar to extract virus cores and is leaving them for the Brigade to find, leading them on with false infromation such as "they can only be found in a lost ground". (we know he's already activated his avatar, because he created the Twilight Brigade to look for the Key of Twilight, and save his sister Aina, at which point he awakened)

2) Someone else is leaving the virus cores for the Twilight Brigade and TaN ot find, hoping ot stir things up
or 3) The Virus Cores are just spawning on their own, as they're known to do.
So, I don't know. It certainly is an oddity of difference between the games and the ROOTS anime. I mean, in the anime they used Virus Cores, which were items that were outiside the specs, randomly found in Lost Grounds, that were then used to open the road to Megan Fi in Coite-Bodher, but in the games they used Data Seeds, which came from AIDA to open the road, and virus cores were extracted from monsters to level up Lost Weapons, right? xP

I wish I could sort out the differences. Are they interchangeable? Can both Data Seeds and Virus cores open the road to Megan Fi, or did the area itself change?
The area itself probably changed. Lost Grounds are fairly mercurial.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Midori wrote:Now, Shino whips out a virus core she has only seconds later. Where did she get it?
IIRC, according to Roots Phyllo gave it to her.
So a better question would be how Phyllo got the virus core.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Phyllo got it from TaN, if you recall.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

I actually don't remember. What episode did they say or show that, then?
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Ah, f*ck if I can remember. I want to say episode Eight, but I'm not sure about it. I know for sure he was approached by someone from TaN though, which makes since since TaN planned everything anyway.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Hmm... I don't remember anything like that, and I've rewatched the first 13 eps of Roots a lot of times.
I'll have to check now though, cause otherwise that's gonna bug the heck outta me.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

It may have been something that happened offscreen that Phyllo merely alluded to, such as his meeting with Aina. If nothing else, he could've gotten the Virus Core from her a LOOOOONG ass time ago, or her brother in more recent history. Either way, him acquiring one isn't a problem.
hanoodles

Post by hanoodles »

aaah my brain is bleeding
bloodwolf2a2

Post by bloodwolf2a2 »

So if I remember right Haseo had 2 Virus Cores Shino had 1 TaN also had one and I don't remember what his name was but he also has one from beating bordeaux so that would be all five of them at least I think how it was 1 for each tower.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

Uh huh, and your point is?
bloodwolf2a2

Post by bloodwolf2a2 »

I was just trying to remember how they found all of them and who had them.
Scourge

Post by Scourge »

thinking out loud like that is spaming so try to contain yourself next time, and to get back on topic I agree with AuraTwilight the area itself probably changed so either seed or core are acceptable