Trilogy Discussion Thread

TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: Trilogy Discussion Thread

Post by TheSorrow »

Endrance would have been nice to see, as well as.......gaaahhh, I feel bad for not remembering her name. The girl with the split personality. I would have loved to see them both in there at some point, besides the ending. Would have added a little more flavor, I think.
lol Sakubo :P

And wasn't Haseo seeing the flashback? Anyways, i found that unneeded and even more confusing for those who haven't played the games (though this movie was meant for those who have played them anyways, this just becomong one more reason why). Suddenly, lots of characters that Haseo only saw once or didn't see at all in the whole movie are suddenly being remembered as if they were his important friends or something. I mean, couldn't he simply see Atoli and Shino, and maybe others like Pi and Kuhn, and just leave it at that without making the movie more confusing and darn rushed? XP
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Honestly, let's just admit that Trilogy was made for one thing and one thing only.
And that is to be really really purty, thereby giving me opportunity to screencap really really purty stuff.
renadeles

Post by renadeles »

.....................I just heard about the news.

I either get to import my second Japanese bluray, or not get it at all. No bluray, no dub, means no thank you to the R1 DVD. I liked both casts, but if I'm gonna be paying for fanservice I wanna go for the most shiny. I already was rather against getting a DVD version, so now that they've pissed me off with no dub I might as well not add to the DVD sales.
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

So I got the DVD yesterday. Decided I might as well post some impressions about it here.

First off, I'm actually impressed by the packaging. After hearing about no dub, I thought they'd do a real crap job with the rest of it, but no. The DVD menus were pretty nice, the extras were interesting (Parody Mode ftw), and although we only had one language to choose from at least we got Japanese 5.1 and 2.0. Not much, but it's the thought that counts.

Second, the subtitles, or rather some stuff about the translation job. Overall it was perfectly fine; heck, I even noticed that the movie was better since I was finally able to understand what they were saying (funny how it works like that, huh? :P). However, you could tell the translator wasn't trying to keep it consistent with the games'. What I mean is, they called Aina "Ina", which I know is how it was spelled before the English ver. was released but since the games called it Aina I felt the movie subs should have too. Then there was one quote; "Sear this into your mind." In the games, this was known as the famous "Burn this into your eyes", so... yeah, no consistency there.

But otherwise, it was fine. I'm just being picky. XP
Heck, it was great to hear Atoli call Haseo a manwhore in the Parody Mode. That alone makes the DVD worth buying imo.
_Tri-edge_

Post by _Tri-edge_ »

Anime Monkey wrote:So I got the DVD yesterday. Decided I might as well post some impressions about it here.

First off, I'm actually impressed by the packaging. After hearing about no dub, I thought they'd do a real crap job with the rest of it, but no. The DVD menus were pretty nice, the extras were interesting (Parody Mode ftw), and although we only had one language to choose from at least we got Japanese 5.1 and 2.0. Not much, but it's the thought that counts.

Second, the subtitles, or rather some stuff about the translation job. Overall it was perfectly fine; heck, I even noticed that the movie was better since I was finally able to understand what they were saying (funny how it works like that, huh? :P). However, you could tell the translator wasn't trying to keep it consistent with the games'. What I mean is, they called Aina "Ina", which I know is how it was spelled before the English ver. was released but since the games called it Aina I felt the movie subs should have too. Then there was one quote; "Sear this into your mind." In the games, this was known as the famous "Burn this into your eyes", so... yeah, no consistency there.

But otherwise, it was fine. I'm just being picky. XP
Heck, it was great to hear Atoli call Haseo a manwhore in the Parody Mode. That alone makes the DVD worth buying imo.
The Ovan scene during the Parody mode was priceless!! XD
emptyazureskies

Post by emptyazureskies »

they didn't add returner to it right?
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Nope, no Returner. If they had I would've said so in my previous post.
At this point, I'm doubting we'll ever get a NA release of the OVA. Oh well.
emptyazureskies

Post by emptyazureskies »

yeah it was their last chance to before link.... so i know it will never be now... unless they have a dubbed bluray version of trilogy being released at a different time i dont see that happening either though
Ganheim

Post by Ganheim »

Anime Monkey wrote:Heck, it was great to hear Atoli call Haseo a manwhore in the Parody Mode. That alone makes the DVD worth buying imo.
I saw the trilogy fansubbed and they cut out all the parts of the games that I thought gave it its soul (things like Skeith going berserk on Kuhn/Magus, Alkaid and Atoli bantering over Haseo in what I thought were some of the funniest moments in the trilogy...sure, a bunch of these things may be personal preference but it just seemed so rushed).

However, Atoli calling Haseo a manwhore sounds funny. What exactly is Parody Mode (as it's unlikely that I'm ever going to have the opportunity to get my hands on the dvd)? An alternate dub? A sort of bonus OVA kind of thing like the 4komas in Vol 3?
Ranylyn

Post by Ranylyn »

Ganheim wrote:What exactly is Parody Mode (as it's unlikely that I'm ever going to have the opportunity to get my hands on the dvd)? An alternate dub? A sort of bonus OVA kind of thing like the 4komas in Vol 3?
It's a bonus couple of videos, just taking clips from the movie (with a few extras made specifically to make things work) for laughs. For example, one of them is Haseo trying to watch a video of Alkaid giving a striptease and getting locked out, so Yata sells him a premium membership and Haseo takes two. Silly things like that. My favorite is by far the one with the classroom scene :P
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

However, Atoli calling Haseo a manwhore sounds funny. What exactly is Parody Mode (as it's unlikely that I'm ever going to have the opportunity to get my hands on the dvd)? An alternate dub? A sort of bonus OVA kind of thing like the 4komas in Vol 3?
Even seen those "Abridged Series" where people take original scenes from the anime/game/etc, and then dub them on their own so the characters end up saying funny things? Yeah, it's basicly that, an alternate dub like you said, just made by the actual creators and dubbed by the actual dubbers. With few scenes added too, like Ranylyn said, but overall it uses scenes from the actual Trilogy movie, made now funny of course.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

...Now that I have the DVD myself, I've been restraining an urge to watch it nonstop >_>

The haseato is teh wuv. 8D
Tolby

Post by Tolby »

Atoli: I can understand Endrance...

Haseo: Uh... why... ?
Saizou

Post by Saizou »

Tolby wrote:Atoli: I can understand Endrance...

Haseo: Uh... why... ?
Ou..OUCH! Just a sec!

I still liked the part before it a lil more..

"There's a premium bonus:three times the points unlimited viewing."
Aru
OVANZILLA
OVANZILLA

Post by Aru »

The only thing I liked about this movie were the parody modes. The movie itself was nothing but unnecessary fan service, and was a huge disappointment in almost every aspect.
..I loved the bits with Ovan, though <3 but that's just me being a fangirl, and I'd honestly rather not let that get in the way of my opinions of this movie like most people tend to do :/
Saying the graphics were good is just unnecessary. Actually, they were amazing, but not great enough for me to enjoy the movie any more or less than I have.
Also, the somewhat lack of music in this movie didn't help. I don't know if it was because I was watching it on youtube, but the music was almost unnoticeable. I listened to some pieces of the soundtrack, though, and I still wasn't impressed. Liar's Smile was good, though.

It also did a horrible job at marketing to people who have never played the games. It was just too confusing if you put yourself in the shoes of someone who has no idea what G.U. is, and to say that it was marketed towards those people just seems untrue. I guess it would have made some sense if you at least knew of what .hack is about, but not reallyyyyyyy.
I also can't help but to wtf at the scene when Ovan I guess remembers all of these people he "touched"? I don't know. Anyway, how is anyone going to know who they are? Especially when they never appeared in the movie ever.

I'd also say that it was annoying how Atoli was just a fill in for everyone else that helped make Haseo a better person, but then I remember that it was only done so to constrain time and throw in some romance for the fangirls to eat up.
Speaking of romance, that whole "lol let's float to the top of wherever the hell we are for three minutes because we just realized that we love each other" was wayy too long. Yeah ok thanks for this but I kinda realized they had feelings for each other after the first minute guys please stop this.

With that being said, they would have done a better job had it been a longer version of Returner, or had taken place somewhat before the events of Link, but still involving the characters from G.U.
Probably wouldn't have made it to theaters, but they still would have made money through DVD sales, so I don't see the big deal.

All in all, if someone ever asked me if they should watch this movie, I would suggest that they just break down and buy the games somehow; or if they lived close to me, I would just lend them to them.
Made more sense and was much more enjoyable.
eclipseneko

Post by eclipseneko »

I love how the movie turned out!!
mavrosheep

Post by mavrosheep »

guys, i just got a complete set of .hack//roots with the movie included, and considering how much i liked roots, i guess the movie is going to ruin it for me wont me? i'm thinking of not watching the movie, (partly because i dislike atoli for being similar to shino lol) or do you think i should just watch it?
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

mavrosheep wrote:guys, i just got a complete set of .hack//roots with the movie included, and considering how much i liked roots, i guess the movie is going to ruin it for me wont me? i'm thinking of not watching the movie, (partly because i dislike atoli for being similar to shino lol) or do you think i should just watch it?
It won't really ruin it if you watched/enjoyed .Hack//Roots, but it might ruin it if you haven't played the .Hack//G.U. games, since many things happen in the movie that can be considered "spoilers" for the games.
Actually, .Hack//Roots and Trilogy aren't exactly related, at least not as much as G.U. and Trilogy are. Roots is just the story that happens before .Hack//G.U., and Trilogy is a summarized movie version of the G.U. games (the full name of the movie is ".Hack//G.U. Trilogy", the "trilogy" being the 3 games G.U. is composed of...Rebirth, Reminisce and Redemption). So, watching Trilogy won't ruin Roots for you at all, but if you have the intention of playing the games, you'll be spoiled alot of things and they won't be as surprising or shocking anymore when you see them in the games. And personally, i think Trilogy is best enjoyed after you're done with the games, because the story is so summarized it skips alot of things and you won't be able to understand it fully; instead if you already played the games, you already know all the skipped details and you can just enjoy certain changes and epic-looking scenes.
So, don't worry about not enjoying Trilogy because of Roots, but i'd recommend you to not watch the movie until after you've played all 3 G.U. games. The movie in itself can still be enjoyed without knowing about the games, but it'll really ruin the games for you ;/
mavrosheep

Post by mavrosheep »

you know what, i think i'm just going to continue and finish all the project. hack first before moving on to conglomerate again, :\ after hearing about G.U from other people, I don't know if I will even like it hehe :?
i'm planning on finishing Twilight first
ReiMehari

Post by ReiMehari »

I really need to re-watch this thing.... either before or after I go through the games again.