How canon is Roots?

Xu Yuan

How canon is Roots?

Post by Xu Yuan »

I apologize if there was a topic about this, if there is, feel free to lock this one. I was rewatching Roots, (first time I had watched 26 was RAW, no subtitles whatsoever, something made me think that 26 took place after Vol. 2) All of episode 26 did not happen in the game, I've seen some argue that because it is not in the game this is uncanon, completely uncalled for, gibberish by the Roots crew. Now, we never see, or hear of Touta, or Saburo in any of the games (Touta quit, so that's of little suprise) or the final meeting with Tabby at the cathedral. Now, is it that far off to assume that they wanted to tie this all in together? True, in-game it speeds right to where level 1 Haseo is chasing Ovan, yet his almost spaced out attitude while traveling with Silabus and Gaspard in that dungeon, does hint at something else occupying his mind.

Just a thought is all, personally I believe it's things that would have been out of context for the person playing G.U. and was a nice way to tie up Roots, so I am saying it's canon. Of course there might be evidence to the contrary.
Dead

Re: How canon is Roots?

Post by Dead »

uh, yeah. its completely canon as far as i know. its the tale of Haseo, Before The GU games. DUH. Saying its uncanon would be like saying Sign is uncanon because it didnt have Kite in it.
Xu Yuan

Post by Xu Yuan »

Well there are a few... discrepancies, you see, the last episode all takes place, before Haseo runs into Silabus and Gaspard, as well Kuhn had told Silabus and Gaspard to watch over Haseo, yet when they meet him, they taunt him quite mercilessly. Of course that is slightly in Gaspard's character, though it's a surprise to see Silabus act as such. It seems quite reasonable, though by this time, the game had already begun. Though I suppose I'm just rambling and restating what I've already said, sorry about that.
Haseo{Terror of Death}
Protagonist
Location: "...in the rift between consciousness and unconsciousness of all souls..."

Post by Haseo{Terror of Death} »

But, what about at the end, when he was in the Xth form, LOOK CLOSELY, YOU WILL SEE THE SKEITH SPIKES
.hack//BICTIOUS

Post by .hack//BICTIOUS »

That's foreshadowing. He doesn't actually turn into Xth Form, it's a "shapes of things to come" thing.

And Dead, stop being an ass. It's possible to be helpful without being rude.
Bulletcatcher
Child of the Shadows
Child of the Shadows

Post by Bulletcatcher »

Dead wrote:uh, yeah. its completely canon as far as i know. its the tale of Haseo, Before The GU games. DUH. Saying its uncanon would be like saying Sign is uncanon because it didnt have Kite in it.
There's absolutely no reason to show attitude like that. It's a completely valid question and the person who asked it has no reason to be shown aggression.
Dead

Post by Dead »

one warning was adequate enough. okay so ill tone down my anger... way to shadowmod.
Bulletcatcher
Child of the Shadows
Child of the Shadows

Post by Bulletcatcher »

I'm sorry for shadowmodding, but I'm just way to pissed off at how people in this forum are acting towards each other. It's been driving good members away for a long time and I'm tired of seeing it.
.hack//BICTIOUS

Bullet - I appreciate you wanting to help, but I really have to ask that you leave it to us. ^^; I already asked him to back down.

Dead - There's a difference between giving a warning and being a jerk. With all the various non-canon G.U. stuff out there, one can't blame him for wondering.
Dead

Post by Dead »

i understand, and I Apologize. I just wish people would at least stop and think, analyze all available information before they go asking (what seems to me to be) ridiculous questions. In the Future i will try to hold back my sharp tongue, which tends to be quick to judge and lacerate.
yokosho

Post by yokosho »

That's because vol.1 takes place after Shino was Pked. Haseo battles Tri-Edge in the Cathedral in the Anime and also in the game too.....
Last edited by yokosho on Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haseo{Terror of Death}
Protagonist
Location: "...in the rift between consciousness and unconsciousness of all souls..."

Post by Haseo{Terror of Death} »

hehe LOCK MUCH?
.hack//BICTIOUS

You're in no place to tell mods and admins whether they should or shouldn't lock posts. I see no particular reason to lock it, since someone may have a relevant reply in the future.
Akuta
The Forum Blubb
The Forum Blubb

Post by Akuta »

Dead wrote:uh, yeah. its completely canon as far as i know. its the tale of Haseo, Before The GU games. DUH. Saying its uncanon would be like saying Sign is uncanon because it didnt have Kite in it.
Yet there are several things added at the end of ROOTs (where it crosses into Vol 1) that never actually happened in Vol 1, including  Haseo meeting Tabby in the church and Saburou (because he isn't in it in the CG-video) watching the church-fight with Tri-edge (which went almost completely differently and ended in a very different way)
So wether ROOTs is canon or not is indeed questionable. Chances are most of it is canon, but the last few episodes...they seem to merge their new idea of how things went with how it went in Vol 1 and in the end, Vol 3 seems to behave as if it kinda happened both ways. I could give a more detailed explanation of how I assume they've mixed it but you should get the idea. It's messed up if you as me.

Dead, so much for analyzing the facts ;D

Edit: Ok, the spoiler tags won't work anymore so just click quote for my post and read it in there <.<;
yokosho

Post by yokosho »

Akuta wrote:
Yet there are several things added at the end of ROOTs (where it crosses into Vol 1) that never actually happened in Vol 1, including  Haseo meeting Tabby in the church and Saburou (because he isn't in it in the CG-video) watching the church-fight with Tri-edge (which went almost completely differently and ended in a very different way)
So wether ROOTs is canon or not is indeed questionable. Chances are most of it is canon, but the last few episodes...they seem to merge their new idea of how things went with how it went in Vol 1 and in the end, Vol 3 seems to behave as if it kinda happened both ways. I could give a more detailed explanation of how I assume they've mixed it but you should get the idea. It's messed up if you as me.

Dead, so much for analyzing the facts ;D

Edit: Ok, the spoiler tags won't work anymore so just click quote for my post and read it in there <.<;
Sign did have Kite in it on Episode:28

Here's the proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srmoH4McHug
.hack//BICTIOUS

Unison isn't part of the main series and, thanks to Sora's presence, is likely not even canon anymore.
Kefkaownsall

Post by Kefkaownsall »

.hack//BICTIOUS wrote:Unison isn't part of the main series and, thanks to Sora's presence, is likely not even canon anymore.
It could be the Sora AI
Asyllum

Post by Asyllum »

I agree with Xu Yuan regarding about ep.26

because if you see
1. in ep.26 Haseo met Touta, while in Rebirth theres no Touta at all (or even tawaraya)
2. in ep.26, Haseo met Tabby in Mac Anu after he got DDed by Azure kite, while in G.U, after haseo log-in again as lvl.1 he never met old Twilight brigade members at all
3. in ep.26, haseo didnt meet silabus and gaspard, atoli, bordeaux

basically, there are some part that is different from G.U

if G.U is the "core" of Haseo's journey after he re-initialized by Azure Kite
then Roots ep.26 is not canon
i would like to say that ep.26 is some kind of extension, something like G.U trailer

IMO, only ep 1-25 is canon
CMIIW :D
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

Ep. 26 has to be canon. Otherwise, Haseo would have no idea that Phyllo died.
Asyllum

Post by Asyllum »

oh ya... you got the point...
it has to be canon for that reason...

but, about tabby's scene...and other scene... *confuse* :?