What the devil is going on in this anime?

buckethead

What the devil is going on in this anime?

Post by buckethead »

I've watched a couple animes before, like Kenshin and DBZ, and I heard about this one being themed around people inside a mmorpg so I watched a couple episodes on youtube.

What the hell is going on..?!?
All they do is stand around and have boring conversations about nothing. Not only are they boring, but they're totally unrealistic in a video game setting.

Is it just me or did they have a good idea for a show but really mess up badly?
GoZero

Re: What the devil is going on in this anime?

Post by GoZero »

buckethead wrote:I've watched a couple animes before, like Kenshin and DBZ, and I heard about this one being themed around people inside a mmorpg so I watched a couple episodes on youtube.

What the hell is going on..?!?
All they do is stand around and have boring conversations about nothing. Not only are they boring, but they're totally unrealistic in a video game setting.

Is it just me or did they have a good idea for a show but really mess up badly?
Obviously, you don't have quite the taste for this anime. There's not as much fighting as alot of anime, but it's still good, but as you seem to enjoy Kenshin and DBZ, you may think differently. They didn't mess anything up, in fact, alot of anime have alot of talking and less fighting. And yes, they act unrealistically for an MMO setting, but it's anime, not a real MMO, so get over it. If you don't like the anime, don't watch it.
AuraTwilight
IT WAS OVER 9000!
IT WAS OVER 9000!

Post by AuraTwilight »

If you're looking for fighting, the .hack series isn't for you. It's one of those animes revolving around philosophy and character development and PLOT.

As for what's going on, the entire anime is a prologue to the GU video games, setting up the exact circumstances of how Haseo became the legendary Terror of Death, and how Shino fell into a coma due to being PKed by Tri-Edge, a Player Killer who's victims lose consciousness in the real world.
Demon_Skeith

Post by Demon_Skeith »

there is fighting but not much of it
LegendaryDarkKnight
Mediocre Madness
Mediocre Madness

Post by LegendaryDarkKnight »

I think they did a fine job on it. I mainly watched it to understand Haseo better though.
GoZero

Post by GoZero »

LegendaryDarkKnight wrote:I think they did a fine job on it. I mainly watched it to understand Haseo better though.
I watched for the most part to out what the hell happened in those 8 months. Like most people.
ShinoBee

Post by ShinoBee »

I watch it to know what happened before also. And I got tired of action anime, too. Also for some good ol' spoilers for GU.
Hsumi

Post by Hsumi »

GoZero wrote:
LegendaryDarkKnight wrote:I think they did a fine job on it. I mainly watched it to understand Haseo better though.
I watched for the most part to out what the hell happened in those 8 months. Like most people.
•raises hand•
Same here.
Xero

Post by Xero »

Hahaha ,for me I started off with reading the hack gu manga ,then i started watching the anime ,then i was suprised they were making a game lol even though it was announced before, i never paid attention to the updates/news,But the whole scenario of haseo being a pkk (wich is were the managa started off) compelled me.So if your a fan buy the manga when released it is very nice I loved it ,its a bit more fast paced but told a bit different wich is always better since it be like extra stuff since u wouldnt want the same things happening in the manga that happened in the game in the same order cus it be boring >.> well just my positive outlook.The anime although not action packed and a thinker is good for fans who want to know the past of haseo and how the whole ovan shino phyllo and twilight brigade came into the picture .
Twilight Haseo

Post by Twilight Haseo »

It was an enjoyable anime not only to watch, but to learn the backgrounds of the characters Pre-G.U saga. Haseo's development, as well as the other characters' developments flowed perfectly into the game. As SIGN was the precursor to the original four .hack games, this helped us understand the beginning of Haseo and the relationship Ovan and Shino once had before the games were played.
Alkaid_loves_Haseo
Arena Empress
Arena Empress

Post by Alkaid_loves_Haseo »

It was very good and informative! 5/5 stars! :D
iuliathe3rd
Nerd Muffin
Nerd Muffin

Post by iuliathe3rd »

I actually started watching Roots before I even found out about G.U. All I had heard was a new .hack anime was coming out, and I was on-board. I find the anime a nice break from all the others that center so much on action.
Plus, yeah, it's informative as to what happened within those 8 months.
Alkaid_loves_Haseo
Arena Empress
Arena Empress

Yeah. :D
.khun

Post by .khun »

in the roots  did haseo fight with sakaki?
Thyried

Post by Thyried »

.khun wrote:in the roots  did haseo fight with sakaki?
He didn't even appear in Roots.
ShinoBee

Post by ShinoBee »

Thyried wrote:
.khun wrote:in the roots  did haseo fight with sakaki?
He didn't even appear in Roots.
.khun's actually right. Sakaki is mentioned and in it, but you don't seem him.

Remember that scene where you first meet Sakaki and Atoli? Yeah. They had that scene in //Roots, but they covered it with a crowd of people.
Alkaid_loves_Haseo
Arena Empress
Arena Empress

I remember seeing. How could I not notice that psycho, girly-man. Is it just me, or does he wear TOO much eyeshadow? Lol. XD
ShinoBee

Post by ShinoBee »

Alkaid_loves_Haseo wrote:I remember seeing. How could I not notice that psycho, girly-man. Is it just me, or does he wear TOO much eyeshadow? Lol. XD
The "eyeshadow" is part of his character theme look. If you haven't noticed, the Moon Tree and its captains base their guild look on Japanese style. Matsu was a yanki, Enju is a shinobi, Hiiragi is based on Takeda Kanryusai, etc.

Back on topic, there's a lot going on in .hack//Roots. All you need to know is that it takes place in an online game, and that it takes place 8 months before GU.
.hack//BICTIOUS

Post by .hack//BICTIOUS »

more accurately, it STARTS 8 months before GU. By ep 13, it's 6 months, and the last few episode overlap with the begininng of GU.
Alkaid_loves_Haseo
Arena Empress
Arena Empress

((.hack//Bictious, so you mind if I add you to my friends?))

Yeah, what they said. It explains the before GU story.