Yata and... "autism"?!

Zak

Yata and... "autism"?!

Post by Zak »

I'm sure this has been asked before.

So I'm playing Redemption now, and I've been paying attention to the "chapter names" and what they encompass. You know... the little header title you see when you save the game (i.e. the first one in Rebirth being "First Cry"). In other words, saving between just about every event to see the header/chapter-title.

So, I just saved right after beating Taihaku and Sakaki/Victorian (that title match part was apparently called "Respect")... and apparently the upcoming segment is called "Autism".

So what followed was that meeting at Raven where Pi talks about how she found Yata and how his whole pride was destroyed after being overthrown from G.U., and how she doesn't know what to do about the situation.

I saved again after that scene, and it changed to "Opinion" (followed by being invited to the scene in the Sage Room with Taihaku... and so on).

So... apparently the "Autism" segment was just that one scene at Raven.

What's up with that name though... is it implying Yata has autism? Or someone else? Or does that word have an entirely different alternative meaning?

Zak
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Re: Yata and... "autism"?!

Post by Kuukai »

I'm trying to pin down what it was in Japanese, it may be a mistranslation. "Waterfall" became "Radiation" in the area words due to some problems with their translation process, so the same thing could easily happen with the chapter names. Do you have the number for the chapter? Here's a list of the Japanese names:

http://www13.atwiki.jp/gu_backup/pages/283.html

The one with the Sage Room really just seems to be called "Sage Room." The one before that is "Taihaku" (Taihaku's calling you. Head to Icolo's @HOME alone). The one before that is "Shredded Pride" (Yata has sealed himself off following the shock of being betrayed by CC Corp. Let's leave CC Corp to Pi, and maybe check our mail?), is that it? The one before that is "Yata Found" (It appears Pi found Yata, hurry to Raven's @HOME). And the one before that is "Sakaki's Final Hour", where the Pursuers/Azure Knights finish him off.
Zak

Post by Zak »

No... I believe your list are the chapter names from the "Memoir" menu. Not the same thing.

What I'm talking about is what you see written at the top after you save the game. Different from the Memoir menu.

EDIT: Yes, this is definitely the Memoir menu "chapters". The five you mentioned are "The Sage Room", "Taihaku", "Wounded Pride", "Yata Found", and "Sakaki's End" respectively in the dub.
Also I should add that these can't be the save-screen chapters, because you can't save between certain individual scenes, like all the ones during the title match sequence up to Sakaki's demise.

The save-screen chapters have completely different names. Usually one word or two. For instance, the ones after "Autism" are "Opinion", "Jealousy", "Sleepwalking", "Craving", and "Ghost" (and now about to go to the area where Aina is that Piros revealed).
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

Oooooookay. Found that list.

http://nanos.jp/blue/blog/1/136/

So that name of that chapter is Jihei, which means something along the lines of "Closing Off" or "Shutting Out." It can be used on its own as a noun or verb just meaning that:
https://www.google.com/#q=%22%E8%87%AA% ... 3%81%9F%22

If you tack -shou onto the end (a suffix like "-syndrome" or "-disease" that you can add to something to make it a disease, for instance "kyoufu"/terror + "-shou" = "phobia") it becomes the really blunt term for autism ("closing out syndrome"). Since that was probably the first entry in their translation dictionary, they probably went with that and didn't think too hard about whether or not it was missing the "-shou" part.

I hope that explanation helps!
Zak

Post by Zak »

Ahhh thanks, there we go! Spot on.

Figured it was a translation thing. Seriously though... of all words, it seems like the translator would know it could raise some eyebrows. Oh well.

Surprisingly though it would seem I was wrong about it being asked a million times. I googled things like "yata autism" ".hack gu autism" and no mention of this. Hmm, doesn't seem like I can find that English list of save-game chapters anywhere (if you can)...
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

If Arche Koeln being radioactive didn't raise any eyebrows, I can see this passing.

Japanese fans tend to type up more lists, although feel free to make an English one and throw it on .hack//Wiki.
ellen3539

Post by ellen3539 »

Zak wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:59 am I'm sure this has been asked before.

So I'm playing Redemption now, and I've been paying attention to the "chapter names" and what they encompass. You know... the little header title you see when you save the game (i.e. the first one in Rebirth being "First Cry"). In other words, saving between just about every event to see the header/chapter-title.

So, I just saved right after beating Taihaku and Sakaki/Victorian (that title match part was apparently called "Respect")... and apparently the upcoming segment is called "Autism".

So what followed was that meeting at Raven where Pi talks about how she found Yata and how his whole pride was destroyed after being overthrown from G.U., and how she doesn't know what to do about the situation.

I saved again after that scene, and it changed to "Opinion" (followed by being invited to the scene in the Sage Room with Taihaku... and so on).

So... apparently the "Autism" segment was just that one scene at Raven.

What's up with that name though... is it implying Yata has autism? Or someone else? Or does that word have an entirely different alternative meaning? I also want to try a behavioural therapist from this website, they are recommended by my close friends, so hopefully they are really good.

Zak
It's interesting that you've been paying close attention to the chapter titles in the game and trying to understand their significance. In the context of the game "Redemption," it's important to note that the chapter titles might not necessarily reflect a character having autism or any medical condition. They could be symbolic or metaphorical, representing themes, emotions, or events in the storyline.

Without more context or information about the game's narrative, it's challenging to determine the exact meaning behind the chapter title "Autism." It might be related to a character's personal struggles, experiences, or a particular aspect of their journey rather than a literal reference to the medical condition.

If you're curious about the title's meaning, you could continue playing the game to see if it provides further insights or explanations regarding these chapter titles. Sometimes, game narratives use symbolism to explore complex themes and emotions. Enjoy your gameplay, and if you have more questions or observations about the game, feel free to share them