Exploiting the trade system is fun!

Megidolaon

Exploiting the trade system is fun!

Post by Megidolaon »

I had always assumed NPCs only ever carry 1 of anything.
If they have 2 Spin Nezumis, they only have these 2 and if you trade for them, you have these, end of story.

I think to remember it was the case in the first hack games, but maybe I also didn't notice.
I certainly didn't notice anything the first time I played the GU trilogy.

But now I realized NPCs will have their inventory replenished with the same items once you change towns.
This way you can easily stock up on support items not available in shops, get lots of high lvl equipment for alchemy and even gets lots of rare materials like ginseng.

You just need to memorize the place where to find an NPC that has what you wants and then trade, switch towns, come back and trade again.

I noticed that NPCs that appear in several towns sometimes carry different items in each town. And their location in the town can also vary, but if you found them once in a town, they are always there.

...of course that only works for a certain part of the plot. Since NPCs change depending on your lvl, if you wait too long they might be completely gone.
GyppyGirl2021

Re: Exploiting the trade system is fun!

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Er, yeah, I think we all knew this :P

Most annoying swap-up is how NAOO will trade Spell Noble in Volume 2, but switches to Magic Cloud in Volume 3. Since Spell Noble is the highest-level common staff and is otherwise difficult to find in Volume 3... >_<
hidora

Post by hidora »

Megidolaon wrote:You just need to memorize the place where to find an NPC that has what you wants and then trade, switch towns, come back and trade again.
IIRC, at Mac Anu, you can also enter Raven's @home to make the GPCs items refresh.
GyppyGirl2021 wrote:Er, yeah, I think we all knew this :P
Well, there's always new people coming here (even those who just lurk around here, like myself before registering), so it's not that bad seeing a topic like this once in a while, I guess.
Megidolaon

Post by Megidolaon »

I expect people here to know it, but it was such a huge find for myself that I felt the urge to make a topic :)
I spent the last 6 hours trading stuff.
But I also noticed that it's not really always the same and NPCs don't really always show up.
Even though no plot event happened at all (I didn't log ou for mails or anything), suddenly Mile (who has ginseng) stopped appearing in Mac Anu and some others changed their inventory.
Still, some others remained exactly the same as ever.

BTW, maybe you could help me find some stuff I'm looking for:
- I need a few more ginsengs, any others besides Wiseman and Mile?
- I also need more sapphire eyes, I only got one so far from some guild shop (is there any pattern to them appearing? and do they ever restock?)
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

Sapphire Eyes can rarely be bought in Empireo's guild shop in Breg Epona. The clerk will appear in the middle opposite Canard's guild shop, and its PC design will look similar to Isolde/Henako. (They also sell a whole bunch of other customization items.) They're also occasionally attached to accessories sold by Salt Mania, Trifle and I think one other guild.

Best shot at getting them is for item drops - the only success I've had with getting Sapphire Eyes is with attachments on high-level accessories dropped by Abados, which are around level 150 anyhow so it's not worth it. :\ Maybe someone else has a better suggestion, but keep in mind that if two party members are equipped with Dowsing Boards (buyable in Breg Epona's NPC shop), drop rates on monsters will be 100%.

And in regards to ginseng, I don't usually use it myself, so I can't really help you. I also tend not to pay attention to what people have up for trade unless it's equipment or healing items. :\
Megidolaon

Post by Megidolaon »

To quote ZED in my other topic:
First, Item LV. 116+ Fire fields. Leviathan loves handing out Sapphire Eyes on those, as his repertoire doesn't change that much on Sigma server. You can sell them in the shop by attaching them to accessories if you get too many (or just trash them; only Radars and Lost Weapons can't be trashed).
I actually managed to get 6 ginsengs, so I'll try to get more Sapphire eyes now.