Questions about Sophora

Satoh

Questions about Sophora

Post by Satoh »

Ok, first off, is Sophora male or female? (Not the player. The player is female.)

Another question, does Sophora speak in Redemption at all? (there is the phrase "This is my message... Nose to the grindstone" but is it vocal or only text?)

After Rebirth is activated, Online Jack mentions a large number of TW players waking up out of their dazes without memory of their actions(Sakaki's player is shown in a hospital bed). Does that mean Yuasa-san doesn't remember that she tried to take over Moon-Tree with Sakaki?

If I remember correctly Sophora's voice is somewhat medium and androgenous... (But my memory often betrays me) is that true?

I'm afraid I never did get a copy of Reminisce... so I can't test anything with Sophora easily... =/
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Re: Questions about Sophora

Post by TheSorrow »

1. One of the biggest mysteries in the GU world has always been Sophora's gender, and so far, i guess there's never been anything that states the gender officially. In my opinion though, Sophora's PC is male as the appearance overall, even without the hat, is one of a male (quite ambiguous though), and even though Sophora's voice is a female one, that could only be Yuasa's voice. So i say male until i see very obvious body referrences that prove me otherwise and that don't come out of a fanart.
2. Sophora doesn't speak in Redemption, but does in Reminisce after you defeat her in the Moon Tree attack thing, and the only words spoken are "I've failed"...and not really androgynous, you can easily tell that's the voice of a girl, and perhaps it could be a guy, but a VERY GIRLY guy if that, after all, the voice is kinda soft. And the words said in Redemption are the kind which you can only read, but talking about The World, Sophora most likely said it with "her" voice.
3. And if i recall correctly, those players waking up after Rebirth are the players who were in a coma by that moment, which could be players like Sakaki and those PKed during the tournament, like the ones pwned by Taihaku. Sophora was awake already since Reminisce as Matsu and the rest, after the events of Moon Tree ended, and i think Matsu does remember what happened in Moon Tree, and if so then it means Sophora remembers it too. Either way, Sophora wasn't affected by Rebirth like that.
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

something in Sophora's face screams 'woman' at me... but it could simply be because I know Yuasa's a girl... maybe it's just me wishing someone would acknowledge the fact that some women are simply flat-chested in a video game...

I really need to get Reminisce so I can see Sophora in action...

I did some testing... granted I had to sift through a lot of codes and fine tune them.... But it seems like Sophora has male sound effects in battle... at least in Redemption... (Hard to tell with all the model switching and character swapping I had to do...)

EDIT: I think they're just Haseo's effects...
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

While you're at it, can you test doing a few spells while playing as Sophora? Can be healing like Repth or Rip anything or offensive like Vak Don or Ani Zot or anything. I recall ZED mentioning that, while Sophora doesn't really has voice for normal attacks and skills, he/she does for spells, as at one point Sophora was meant to use and attack with his/her other class, a Harvest Cleric. I'm not sure if this will work with Redemption, and i believe that you'll have to play as Sophora and not simply change the models (not sure how the character modifiers work, and the code topics are too tl;dr for me and specially since i lack a codebreaker or any cheating device to test stuff myself), but yeah, if you could try and succeed in finding something, maybe that would make it clearer if Sophora has a male or female voice :/
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

well, currently I AM using Sophora as my party leader in place of Haseo... and NORMALLY that would mean using their sounds and everything... (If I use Nastume I hear Natsume if I use Tabby I hear Tabby...) but with Sophora I get Haseo's voice... weird... I don't hear anything in battle (yet anyway...) but when I get injured or use a charged attack I hear Haseo...

Just for sake of absoluteness... I'll go ahead and try the HC skills.... (Though, strangely, Sophora seems to only be able to equip dual swords and not staffs...)

I've been changing my codes constantly but some combinations end up not working and my game ends...

EDIT: Sophora does indeed have a very feminine voice when using magic skills... (REALLY odd considering she uses Haseo's attack and hurt sounds...)
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Well, at least we have something clear enough for now...Sophora's voice is female indeed :P
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

Sophora is a very broken character if you try to use her in battle... Charge attacks work like normal attacks, normal attacks don't hit at all and don't initiate a combo... Ghost Falcon seems unusable completely... Armor cannot be changed, (haven't tried weapon... Binding Chord is just too cool...) Can't view the status screen, can't open risky treasures/trap boxes, and so on... She was definitely not meant for use.

On the other hand, she looks awesome and has a lot of support skills. Definitely usable as a healer. (Downside is she's only level 83.)

In the end, I may use her as a main character for a short game...if I ever manage to get the models ripped...(which isn't going so smoothly in my opinion...)
If I did manage to make such a game, I would probably have her female(ambiguously maybe) for simplicity's sake.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

I forget, are the spell voices actually used in battle? Because, in response to your second question, there's some evidence that Yuasa is roleplaying a mainly silent or text-only character. For example, when one staff member describes a fictional encounter between them and Sophora, Sophora speaks basically in pauses and single kanji, but somehow sentence-length meaning gets across. When Haseo talks to Sophora, it's entirely four-kanji compounds and seems very Chinese.
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

Kuukai wrote:I forget, are the spell voices actually used in battle? Because, in response to your second question, there's some evidence that Yuasa is roleplaying a mainly silent or text-only character. For example, when one staff member describes a fictional encounter between them and Sophora, Sophora speaks basically in pauses and single kanji, but somehow sentence-length meaning gets across. When Haseo talks to Sophora, it's entirely four-kanji compounds and seems very Chinese.
The skills are called out in battle, and it is distinctly not Haseo's voice (despite using his voice for normal attacks...)

As for text and RP info... Yuasa sounds like someone I could get along with...
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

Kuukai wrote:I forget, are the spell voices actually used in battle? Because, in response to your second question, there's some evidence that Yuasa is roleplaying a mainly silent or text-only character. For example, when one staff member describes a fictional encounter between them and Sophora, Sophora speaks basically in pauses and single kanji, but somehow sentence-length meaning gets across. When Haseo talks to Sophora, it's entirely four-kanji compounds and seems very Chinese.
Sophora could technically use the spells in the battle at Moon Tree, as it's in the skills list and has nothing to stop him/her from doing it...but never in the battle you'll ever see a spell being used by Sophora, only Arts even if they all can be in a condition where healing or offensive spells would work better :/ (They must be in Rage to ignore anything but Arts)
And that would be a good theory, but still, Sophora does speak to Haseo in voice and all, in that simple "I failed.." at the end of the battle. Maybe she's roleplaying a silent character indeed, but there is voice after all, and that could be Yuasa's real voice as, if she spends all the time being silent and only talking through text, she would have no need to use those voice modifier things.
Kuukai
The Prophet
The Prophet

Post by Kuukai »

That's what I was thinking, that's why I was wondering if the skill sounds were used in-game, since that would nullify the theory...
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

Sophora's speech is such that sounds feminine, but is very course, like a girl trying to sound more masculine... (if that made any sense XD;; )

It sounds like it is probably Yuasa's real voice.
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

If she's a text-only roleplayer, then it's possible that she spoke aloud because she was falling into a coma and likely panicking. Iunno. >.>

As far as Sophora's character, it's kind of ambiguous, but remember that most female beast PCs don't *look* female (and that Tu Tribe beasts all have female voices in regards to getting hit, except obviously for Gaspard). I actually thought Sagittarius was male the first time I saw her. XD
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

I actually thought Sagittarius was male the first time I saw her. XD
Me too, and it wasn't until like Reminisce or Redemption where some posts addressed to her as "her" that i found out she was indeed female 'XD
GyppyGirl2021

Post by GyppyGirl2021 »

I found out from the dothack Wiki... AFTER I started playing the games XDD
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

I myself was never sure about TomCat, GATES, and Sagittarius... it looked as though they may have had breasts or just a protruding pectoral area...

Personally though, I really like that PC. I think I may put it in my party at some point.
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

I'd make a team with Henako, Nogmung, and Syake, give them better AIs and spiffy them up so much that even my best GU team wouldn't be able to defeat them :P
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

TheSorrow wrote:I'd make a team with Henako, Nogmung, and Syake, give them better AIs and spiffy them up so much that even my best GU team wouldn't be able to defeat them :P
You plan on writing a new AI algorithm?

Putting them in my party is easy... about 6 lines of codes really...

making the AI better and making them really strong would take QUITE a few more...
TheSorrow
The Legendary Paladin
The Legendary Paladin

Post by TheSorrow »

I don't mean putting them into the party though...i mean putting them in an enemy party, either normal enemies, or Arena (i'd prefer that one), equip them with amazing stuff, and modify their AI so heavily that they understand attack timing and know when to attack, when to don't, and what attacks to use, become more experienced in guarding and Guard Cancel, and use stronger Awakenings and aim for a massive Rengeki-Awakening-Strongest Skill.

And i wouldn't do it with cheat codes...i'd friggin modify the game entirely and rewrite alot of stuff XD I think i might have the enough knowledge to do so, but it's something i've never done, and i don't have the tools to open and modify the game like that. Plus it's more like a dream than anything....maybe one day i will do it, but i doubt it xD
Satoh

Post by Satoh »

TheSorrow wrote:I don't mean putting them into the party though...i mean putting them in an enemy party, either normal enemies, or Arena (i'd prefer that one), equip them with amazing stuff, and modify their AI so heavily that they understand attack timing and know when to attack, when to don't, and what attacks to use, become more experienced in guarding and Guard Cancel, and use stronger Awakenings and aim for a massive Rengeki-Awakening-Strongest Skill.

And i wouldn't do it with cheat codes...i'd friggin modify the game entirely and rewrite alot of stuff XD I think i might have the enough knowledge to do so, but it's something i've never done, and i don't have the tools to open and modify the game like that. Plus it's more like a dream than anything....maybe one day i will do it, but i doubt it xD
When I get my memor32 for my PS2, I'm going to try ISO hacking it and playing it from a hard drive... I helped with an ISO hack for Chrono Cross once... in a small way, but it worked effectively, so I'm sure with a few external aids, I can get a GU hack working.

If I can, I'll most likely make hard mods of characters in the same way I make the model codes now... since each character has 4 models anyway... that's a lot of new character possibilities...